U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 09:06 PM

238 posts, read 1,182,785 times

Advertisements

Has anyone rented furniture from one of those places like Core furniture? Is it very expensive? We will need to be in a rental prior to moving to another state & most of our things will go into storage in that state. We don;t want to move our stuff twice. We do have a few pieces of furniture that are not moving with is & will be used in the rental but we will need to rent some dressers & a few other items...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 05:33 AM

20,793 posts, read 56,752,803 times
Yes it is expensive and the contracts are not very favorable for the consumer. You would be better off either keeping out the few pieces you need or picking something up at a garage sale and then either selling or giving it away when you are done. By the time you are done renting the furniture you could pay for it a couple times over buying new.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:08 AM

11,943 posts, read 13,562,258 times
Rent A Center (RAC) is another business, same as golf gal mentioned. cheap stuff, annoying contracts. They were really a payment plan for people who were renting to own but couldnt afford to buy any other way (no credit card, poor credit). Nothing there is worth it if you can go to good will or st vincent de paul down the road and buy it outright for 4x's lower price.

You didnt mention your timeline so I'm not sure how well this will work for you. I was very nomadic all throughout my 20's due to military svc and misc jobs. I travelled lighter then, but if you're not in that position with family items, you might want to consider this idea. If its only going to be a month or so, get storage containers (55 gal rubbermaid kind and stackable shelf kind from sterilite). They'll solve most of your problems until furniture arrives, and can be reused for christmas/seasonal storage in basement/garage down the road. Aerobeds are handy when in traveling mode, and can be used for company or camping down the road. Your money stays in your hand, you won't have more stuff than you need kind of thing.

The rest of your temp needs can be found at a flea market/garage sale. Pick it up low cost, leave it for the next renters as you go, or have your own garage sale before you go to get your $ back. (believe it or not, some landlords wind up collecting leftover furniture and have garage sales of their own). slipcovers make everything match if you've got to be there a while. Worked out well for me for 2-3 month lags between me and my furniture. Not sure it would work so well if it were a whole year. Let us know more specifics, better solutions might arrive.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:57 PM

444 posts, read 1,540,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDR57 View Post
Has anyone rented furniture from one of those places like Core furniture? Is it very expensive? We will need to be in a rental prior to moving to another state & most of our things will go into storage in that state. We don;t want to move our stuff twice. We do have a few pieces of furniture that are not moving with is & will be used in the rental but we will need to rent some dressers & a few other items...
You really do not want to rent furniture. You get very inexpensive furniture at a very expensive cost to you. Perhaps you would do better by buying furniture through Craigslist or from garage sales. Then you can turn around and sale that furniture and recoup some of your loss and have the use of the furniture as long as you need it.

Hope this helps.

Dunroven

Old 06-06-2008, 08:39 PM

Gosh...this renting furniture idea is sounding very unappealing!! Our situation is one where we will need to be in an apartment for approx 6-7 months while our new home is being built (in another state). We need to stay here until early 09 for employment reasons. Not the best situation but it is what it is & we figure we can deal with it for 6 or 7 months. So we are looking into our options.
Actually we do have some items (several chairs & a kitchen table w/chairs) that we can bring to an apartment (we will not take them to the new home) but the rest of our furniture & household items will go into storage in the state we are relocating to..From reading here I think we will pick up some cheap tables, lamps, storage bins etc from target or walmart instead of renting. What do we do about mattresses? I have a bad back & I don't think I can sleep on a blowup bed for 6 months.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:47 PM

3,191 posts, read 8,615,439 times
don't you have any friends or neighbors or coworkers you could beg, borrow or steal (J/K) from? I could furnish a small house with my extra stuff!
You should really really check out Craigslist. You can get some great deals. I have seen and bought almost new items for next to nothing from folks moving cross country....
And at thrift stores or secondhand furniture stores.
If you are worried about hygiene/ used mattresses, buy some of those $99 special mattress set.And if they are to soft, get a piece of plywood, or too hard one of those eggcrate topper things.
Allso, check with the apartment manager, they may have abandoned furniture items stashed in storage that you could use or 'rent'

when you mave you can donate the stuff to a battered womens shelter or something

Old 06-06-2008, 10:04 PM

1,747 posts, read 2,802,406 times
Have you considered renting a furnished apartment? In many cities, you can get a short term rentals (3 months, 6 months, 1 year) that include EVERYthing. Our family did it once and it worked out great. We moved in with just our clothes and some toys for the baby. Everything else, furniture, linens, dishes, pots and pans, was there when we arrived.

If you don't already have a rental unit set, perhaps you can consider a furnished place.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:57 PM

we looked in to some furnished apartments..Apparently, most furnished rentals (around here) deal with corporations who pay top dollar Like 2500-5000/month!! The others are not as nice by far.
Another complication for us is that we have our two dogs to consider..they are our babies & are coming with us wherever we go. So you see, it's rather complicated (isn't everything!) Things will come together eventually. Right now, I am just checking out every possibility. We don't have to be out of our house until the end of the summer so we have time to "find" things so we don;t have to rent them. I really appreciate all your advice...esp about the furniture rental situations. I do wish this was a corporate relo then we could get into one of those nice furnished apartments..

Old 06-07-2008, 02:29 AM

2,958 posts, read 11,875,410 times
I was/am in a similar situation. I have a house full of furniture in storage but it is far away and too large for this apartment.

I found an absolutely amazing thrift store adrift in cheap furniture. In one fell swoop I furnished an entire 2 bedroom apartment with--2 dressers w/mirrors, bed, dining table with 2 leaves and 4 chairs, 2 desks and 2 desk chairs, couch, one stuffed living room chair and 2 patio chairs.

$600. No pariticle board, all good condition attractive furniture that I'm proud to live with.

Cheaper than unstoring all the stuff I have elsewhere and trucking it here. One day when I'm finished with this stuff I'll sell it in a garage sale or send it back to the thrift store from whence it came. I've already gotten my $600 worth out of it.

And oh yeah. The hospital charity store I bought it from delivered the whole lot into my apartment and up the stairs for 50 bucks. Beat that with a stick.

Look around. Plenty of good deals to be found with a bit of footwork.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:44 AM

20,793 posts, read 56,752,803 times
Any chance there is a college or university near by? Many professors go on sabbatical and rent out their homes, fully furnished, for 6 months to a year. Would that be an option? If you do, call the university/college and see if they know of anyone that might be looking for someone responsible to rent their home.

With the housing market being what it is you might be able to rent a home that is for sale from someone else that is moving and didn't get their house sold? Check with your real estate agent and see if they know of anything.

If you end up buying garage sale furniture, keep your own mattress and ship it to the new house when you move. It won't cost all that much and it will save your back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating