Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 10:48 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,020,941 times

Advertisements

So my design sense is limited and I don't really know who else to ask...

Our bathroom will have these floor tiles:

With a beige/tan wall color, spice maple vanities like this:

Hardware will be brushed nickel most likely.

My question is, what color towels/bath mat should we get? We are registering with Restoration Hardware and those of you that know know that towels there are a huge investment. We are not afraid of color but aren't sure if color is appropriate given the selections we've made so far.

Any advice/opinions would be welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 11:03 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
What color will your walls be? With cabinets a tad dark, I'd go with a lighter flooring. How big is this bathroom also?

Old 06-09-2008, 11:08 AM

Walls are this color - beige-ish tan.
Porter Paints 6898-2 Lincoln Home Beige Match | Paint Colors | Myperfectcolor

The cabinets are probably not as dark as that image shows, and the countertop is white cultured marble.

The tile, cabinetry, and walls are not changeable a this point, and we intentionally wanted the flooring to be dark, but we have 100% open minds on the towels and window treatments (there is a big window with good natural light)

Bathroom is a good size but not huge - 9x12 possibly? Typical double vanity, garden tub, sep. shower, sep. toilet room.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:41 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Honestly, everything you have is very neutral. You can put anything in there that you want. Do you have any accessories picked out-pictures for the walls, etc.? Find something you like that you want to put in the bath and take some colors from that (I am thinking of some kind of artwork) and go that route.

My first thought was deep brick red towels.

Also, just a little advice from someone that has been there/done that, don't get $50 towels. They are a waste of money. The $12 towels at Target are just as good, will hold up as well AND when you get sick of them, easier to let go of them . It sounds like you are registering--getting married. You will get a complete set of towels-bath, hand, wash if you get them from Target vs just a couple bath towels if you go with the $50 ones. Just a suggestion.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:44 AM

We thought about deep red also - my first thoughts were dark brown or dark red, and red seems to have more character.

And thanks for the advice on the towels - we are indeed torn on the idea and haven't fully decided yet - the ones in Rest. Hardware just feel SOOOOO nice

Old 06-09-2008, 12:54 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
i am not seeing those tiles with those cabinets-sorry (*wincing*). i dont want to sound like a know it all--cause i am not. something seems off to me about the two together
i would go with a darker cabinet--more "chocolate" to go with those tiles. or lighter--more beige. but the wood isnt working imo...

Old 06-09-2008, 12:55 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I'd like a burnt orange (paprika) or coral color.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:46 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i am not seeing those tiles with those cabinets-sorry (*wincing*). i dont want to sound like a know it all--cause i am not. something seems off to me about the two together
i would go with a darker cabinet--more "chocolate" to go with those tiles. or lighter--more beige. but the wood isnt working imo...
See...I had the same thoughts, but a lighter flooring.
What type of lighting are you going to use?
I did my bathroom a tad more brighter. I went with the darl camel tone marble top/indented sink, with the white vanity/3way mirror & bulb system. The ceramic floor tile is a light tan and I did the walls with wainscoting/white and cream walls and leaf accessories with hunter rugs.
Do not buy your accessories from Bed,Bath & Beyond! Way too expensive where you can get just as nice stuff at Sears, K-Mart, Wal-Mart.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:28 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
We thought about deep red also - my first thoughts were dark brown or dark red, and red seems to have more character.

And thanks for the advice on the towels - we are indeed torn on the idea and haven't fully decided yet - the ones in Rest. Hardware just feel SOOOOO nice
Another towel tip--often the ones that are super soft don't absorb a thing. They look nice hanging on the wall but in practical use are awful.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:42 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,000 times
I like chocolate. I've been watching many designers use it and think it would work well here.

These, view the larger image and put next to your post to compare:

Fieldcrest® Luxury Towels - Chocolate Kiss : Target
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating