Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 04:37 PM

4,781 posts, read 2,083,125 times

Advertisements

I just moved into a new house. I decorated my kitchen in "RED" with apples. I have a red Toaster oven, electric can opener, Tea pot, knife set, place mates, rug , canisters ,strainer, etc . With a few items that have apples on it.
How is your kitchen?
Part 2)
Do you decorate area's of your house with things you collect? What is it?
My Aunt collects cow stuff. She has cows in everyroom of her house.
I collect Angels .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 05:07 PM

850 posts, read 3,158,632 times
I love this post!!!! You have opened a can of worms for this interior designer wanna be!

When the house was purchased in 2004 - it was 70's yuck. Literally. Black vinyl tile from the kitchen through the hall, dark, dark paneling in the bathroom with commercial plastic base boards, etc. the only redeming quality was the fact that it was big and had a 2 car attached garage and a 4 car detached garage!

So..I got to work and first moved kitchen cabinets flanking the sink wall (14' worth), to the stove side of the room. The stove was sitting next to the fridge with nothing in between. Crazy scheme!

I have decorated in Tuscan/antique style, pulling in italian detail with my family anitque hutch. There are a few roosters in the kitchen, but like the rest of my house, it is eclectic - antiques mixed with modern and my 'collections' in different places. I learned a long time ago that if you keep like things together, it makes a much bigger impact. A wall of shelves with books and a collection of clocks make a bigger statement than if they are spread throughout the house.

The family room is fun - a mix of warm red, yellow and greens. My fun things are there, like a whirli-gig sitting on an end table, and a ceramic 'cardboard box' which fools everyone who comes in. They think I am nuts until they see what it is!

The only thing you will find in almost every room of my house is something from the beach. I have sea shells everywhere, and have mixed it all with whatever the mood of the room.

Now I just need to figure out where to put my 6' lighted palm tree I got for Christmas!

This was fun! I love your 'red' description. I have seen alot of fun thinigs to do with the apple theme.

Thanks for a chance to take my mind off of things!

KimmieyKY

Old 01-16-2007, 05:28 PM

892 posts, read 2,371,859 times
Mine is like a lime green almost. We wanted a lime green but it was soo hard finding just the right color. I found some wrapping paper with daisies on it and we took that paper down to home depot and had the paint mixed to that color. We did 2" bright white door/wall mouldings. bright white cabinets with brushed nickel knobs/handles and white appliances. Dark Charcoal gray contertops. A few splashes of bright red here and there. Also some splases of black. Have a red flower vase with a huge purple african violet, two little glass apple jars that I painted red in the windowsill. a 24x36 flower print with a red frame. I have on my wishlist a new red crusinart mixer. Sheer white curtain with a few small daisies on them. It looks real nice and I always get compliments on it. When we painted it we had to repaint the rest of the house. Lime green is a hard color to blend. We went with a very pale blue with all the trim bright white and white curtains thru out. Black leather couches, dark wood almost black entertainment center and end tables. My son's room - the bottom half is a almost olive green with the top half not quite sky blue. We did clouds on the walls and a baby border seperating the colors. I have airplanes hung from the ceiling in there too. I will miss his room the most when we move. But he is ready for a "big kid" room with a train border. I hate clutter so I don't collect much. (have a few collections boxed in the garage) I do have quite a few cat stuff in the kitchen and a quarry critter frog in the living room.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingfortheperfectplace View Post
Mine is like a lime green almost. We wanted a lime green but it was soo hard finding just the right color. I found some wrapping paper with daisies on it and we took that paper down to home depot and had the paint mixed to that color. We did 2" bright white door/wall mouldings. bright white cabinets with brushed nickel knobs/handles and white appliances. Dark Charcoal gray contertops. A few splashes of bright red here and there. Also some splases of black. Have a red flower vase with a huge purple african violet, two little glass apple jars that I painted red in the windowsill. a 24x36 flower print with a red frame. I have on my wishlist a new red crusinart mixer. Sheer white curtain with a few small daisies on them. It looks real nice and I always get compliments on it. When we painted it we had to repaint the rest of the house. Lime green is a hard color to blend. We went with a very pale blue with all the trim bright white and white curtains thru out. Black leather couches, dark wood almost black entertainment center and end tables. My son's room - the bottom half is a almost olive green with the top half not quite sky blue. We did clouds on the walls and a baby border seperating the colors. I have airplanes hung from the ceiling in there too. I will miss his room the most when we move. But he is ready for a "big kid" room with a train border. I hate clutter so I don't collect much. (have a few collections boxed in the garage) I do have quite a few cat stuff in the kitchen and a quarry critter frog in the living room.
A red crusinart mixer hmmmm.... My husband will love that thought in my head now!!! Thanks lol. I already had a crusinart food processor in black.
I don't have the mixer.....and it comes in red??

Old 01-16-2007, 05:42 PM

yes also in orange, tough choice. I think it is like $300.00 though and I have an older one that works fine so I will just dream. Or "accidently" break mine

Old 01-16-2007, 05:45 PM

You know, part of my kitchen is under the self pics thread. The weird dot on the wall behind my head is there to know where to hang my son's growth chart when we measure him. The color is off in the picture though.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:48 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
Our kitchen is a smallish interior room with no natural light.

When we gutted it after we bought the house I wanted a bright color for the walls. We chose a color called Jungle Orange (think safety cones). We put up natural oak cabinets and travertine counter tops.

I have an EXTENSIVE hippo collection and several of the larger ones have found their way to the tops of the cabinets.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingfortheperfectplace View Post
You know, part of my kitchen is under the self pics thread. The weird dot on the wall behind my head is there to know where to hang my son's growth chart when we measure him. The color is off in the picture though.
I will check it out !

Old 01-16-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
Our kitchen is a smallish interior room with no natural light.

When we gutted it after we bought the house I wanted a bright color for the walls. We chose a color called Jungle Orange (think safety cones). We put up natural oak cabinets and travertine counter tops.

I have an EXTENSIVE hippo collection and several of the larger ones have found their way to the tops of the cabinets.
Your kitchen sounds fun!
'Hippos " I love it. I have a few porcelain Dolls above my cabinets for now.
Probably doesn't go with red and apples, but it is a great spot to keep the kid's and cats away.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:21 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
My kitchen is mostly blue and white with some mauve. Floral wall paper.
I also have a LOT of angles and now I am getting a LOT of black bear stuff. I started out with Victorian decorating but since I've been coming to N.C. I am getting more stuff that reminds me of N.C. like the black bears and red birds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating