Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 01:04 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,212 times

Advertisements

rdrl - i say do what you like. Styles change and in a few years white will be back in again. Ours are macademia (sp) cream with a glaze over them to soften the color. We love them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 01:24 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,900 times
Your cabinets are beautiful! I'm jealous. That looks like granite on the top.

I want cream and not white. White is what they have... it's not good with the tile and the counter tops in my opinion.

I like the idea of a glaze... Is that like a clear coat to protect the color, too?

Already did the lighting like yours... progress!

Old 07-16-2008, 01:35 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I can tell you in all honesty that white kitchens are way out of style. That dont mean no one likes them anymore. It just means according to the NKBA that white cabinets account for some of the smallest sales today.
That doesn't mean they're out of style; it means white cabinets do not sell as well as others. Huge difference.

I agree with UConn97 (your cabinets look great!) that whatever you like is in style.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:44 PM

Thanks for all for the compliments. I guess some painted cabinets can look good!

World Citizen - the counters which we LOVE are actually a new line that had come out from Cambria when we did our kitchen over called the quarry series - so the countertops are actually quartz not granite. As soon as we saw the sample we knew that was the one we wanted and it all worked with the floor and cabinet color. Here is a closer pic of the counters. They look as good now as they did when they were put in a few years ago. no maintainence either!

I don't think the glaze does anything to protect the actual cabinet - just fills in any grooves or detail with a brownish color and kind of dulls the brightness of the cream color. We saw the cabinets before the glaze went on and IMHO it looks better with the glaze because its not too overbearing.

Attachment 23472

Last edited by Uconn97; 03-13-2009 at 09:06 AM..

Old 07-16-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That doesn't mean they're out of style; it means white cabinets do not sell as well as others. Huge difference.

I agree with UConn97 (your cabinets look great!) that whatever you like is in style.

Amen to that which is why you don't see granite or stainless appliances or wood floors in my kitchen (by the way - i like all of those, just not for me in my kitchen). Do what you want for you and don't worry about everyone else.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Thanks for all for the compliments. I guess some painted cabinets can look good!

World Citizen - the counters which we LOVE are actually a new line that had come out from Cambria when we did our kitchen over called the quarry series - so the countertops are actually quartz not granite. As soon as we saw the sample we knew that was the one we wanted and it all worked with the floor and cabinet color. Here is a closer pic of the counters. They look as good now as they did when they were put in a few years ago. no maintainence either!
I read about quartz. NO maintenance, resists heat and everything better than everything else.

Yours looks alot like what I put in the bathroom on the vanity - and I love it, too!

Old 07-16-2008, 01:57 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Amen to that which is why you don't see granite or stainless appliances or wood floors in my kitchen (by the way - i like all of those, just not for me in my kitchen). Do what you want for you and don't worry about everyone else.
I know what your saying. I personally do not like Stainless appliances. But try and find a buyer today who will accept anything less. And for kitchen designers, they dont even want to hear about appliances that are not stainless. Im all alone in that thought though.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:03 PM

I like stainless - had it in my last house.

I may look at the new "no fingerprint" faux stainless when I get to that part. I just like the color.... I may do black this time but fingerprints show on black just as bad as stainless.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:08 PM

9,723 posts, read 14,262,736 times
Quote:
rdrl - i say do what you like. Styles change and in a few years white will be back in again. Ours are macademia (sp) cream with a glaze over them to soften the color. We love them.
Yes, I've seen those........sometimes called "oyster".......
It's hard to keep up!!!

Old 07-16-2008, 02:13 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I like stainless - had it in my last house.

I may look at the new "no fingerprint" faux stainless when I get to that part. I just like the color.... I may do black this time but fingerprints show on black just as bad as stainless.
Oh there is nothing like a cherry paprika colored cabinet with a black onyx countertop. Even the stainless appliances will do in this design. I have done this combination in celebrities homes. It is just breathtaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating