Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 12:19 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,346,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
rdlr I know you just said you like white cabinets but I been in the cabinet business for more then 30 years. I seen colors and styles come and go. I can tell you in all honesty that white kitchens are way out of style. That dont mean no one likes them anymore. It just means according to the NKBA that white cabinets account for some of the smallest sales today.

I work with Interior Designers as well as Realtors. Realtors tell me that buyers see a white kitchen and say lets get outta here. Designers no longer recomend white kitchens.

I also always say not to ask questions to Home Depot or Lowes. When you do you are asking a mimimum wage clerk who knows nothing. Zero. I also always recomend against buying cabinets from Home Depot or Lowes because they charge full list price. They are criminals. You would never pay list/sticker price for a new car, why would you buy cabinets at list. There are many better cheaper places with the knowledge to go along with it to buy from.

Okay, you're wrong, as a matter of fact, you're extremely wrong.

Exhibit A: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/10/ga...Peacock&st=cse

Exhibit B: Connecticut Kitchen - 30 Days of Kitchens - Kitchen of the Year - House Beautiful (http://www.housebeautiful.com/kitchens/30-days-kitchens-kitchenoty2007-0708 - broken link)

Exhibit C:| Divine Design | with Candice Olson

If I need to submit more, I would be more than willing.

I worked in new home construction as a project manager and manager of one of the design centers. White kitchens, are still very popular, and very classic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 07:26 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,043,047 times
I get Better Homes and Gardens and I'm aware of the trends.

I do like wood cabinets but I bought a house where the cabinets have already been painted. I doubt that the wood underneath is worth refinishing. And, then, after studying the wood cabinet brochures I found a total kitchen design that I really love which had NEW painted cabinets.

Apparently some people are buying brand new cabinets and even paying MORE for them to be painted. So... I came to the conclusion that I could save some money and have something nice when I got through.

I think people make a mistake when they decorate their houses for someone else's taste. Even if you're fixing up a home to sell in the future, you have to be aware of the current economy and the fact that you're not guaranteed to get back your investment -- even though kitchens are a big selling point!

Anyway.... I just found a link to how to paint particleboard. So, I'm bringing back the expensive oak veneer sides that they sold me.

Apparently, you just have to use a Primer / Sealer and then paint the sides and it will look like a painted surface.... which is where we're going!

So, I'll use that money to buy paint....

Old 08-23-2008, 08:47 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,258,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I get Better Homes and Gardens and I'm aware of the trends.

I do like wood cabinets but I bought a house where the cabinets have already been painted. I doubt that the wood underneath is worth refinishing. And, then, after studying the wood cabinet brochures I found a total kitchen design that I really love which had NEW painted cabinets.

Apparently some people are buying brand new cabinets and even paying MORE for them to be painted. So... I came to the conclusion that I could save some money and have something nice when I got through.

I think people make a mistake when they decorate their houses for someone else's taste. Even if you're fixing up a home to sell in the future, you have to be aware of the current economy and the fact that you're not guaranteed to get back your investment -- even though kitchens are a big selling point!

Anyway.... I just found a link to how to paint particleboard. So, I'm bringing back the expensive oak veneer sides that they sold me.

Apparently, you just have to use a Primer / Sealer and then paint the sides and it will look like a painted surface.... which is where we're going!

So, I'll use that money to buy paint....
Wood has a texture and grain that is apparent when compared to a glued mess like particle board. I would go over the particle board with a filler and sand it. Just painted particle board tends to look like painted particle board and cheap. That's why they put the veneers on it, tho oak is not necessary to use as the veneer. Particle board is nothing more than glue and sawdust. It is cheap, heavy, and not particularly strong. It also is destroyed by moisture. Basically, if it is used for places where you want a nice finish (as opposed to basement storage), it needs to be buried underneath a better surface.

I agree on the decorating to please some mythical other people, tho, I did pass on a house with bright pink kitchen counters, cabinets, and floor! There are limits.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I agree on the decorating to please some mythical other people, tho, I did pass on a house with bright pink kitchen counters, cabinets, and floor! There are limits.
Just so you know... I was agreeing with the previous poster who was responding to someone who said that painted cabinets were out of style.

I would like to add, that I've got pretty good taste -- or so I've been told. Every single person who came into my last house wrote a full price offer.
They described my previous kitchen as "stunning"... (you should have seen it when I got there!)

I'm not saying that people should put bright pink countertops anywhere - ever !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Wood has a texture and grain that is apparent when compared to a glued mess like particle board. I would go over the particle board with a filler and sand it. Just painted particle board tends to look like painted particle board and cheap. That's why they put the veneers on it, tho oak is not necessary to use as the veneer. Particle board is nothing more than glue and sawdust. It is cheap, heavy, and not particularly strong. It also is destroyed by moisture. Basically, if it is used for places where you want a nice finish (as opposed to basement storage), it needs to be buried underneath a better surface.
Almost all kitchen cabinets have particle board sides these days -- even expensive ones.

I've just purchased a 30" X 84" pantry to fill in an area and give me more storage. I plan to paint it to match the other cabinets.

One side of it will be the first thing you see when you enter the kitchen so I don't want it to look cheap -- or like particle board. It's not going to be exposed to much moisture there but I don't want cleaning it to be a problem -- and I don't want to have to repaint a mistake after doing all of this work. I want to do it right the first time, ya know???

So... in your opinion... Should I just paint the particle board sides ??? (someone at the hardware store said I could do that) or, should I put the veneer on and paint it???

You were trying to tell me to cover it, right?

Last edited by World Citizen; 08-23-2008 at 01:08 PM..

Old 08-23-2008, 04:40 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,068,523 times
For the small amount of change, cover it. It will be quicker and easier to have a beautiful finish.....

Old 08-23-2008, 06:28 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
I just updated my cabinets by painting them black.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k10/stopbythursday/DSCN2226.jpg (broken link)

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k10/stopbythursday/DSCN2227.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-23-2008, 07:18 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,068,523 times
Oh no Sunny not black........... lol

Old 08-23-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
For the small amount of change, cover it. It will be quicker and easier to have a beautiful finish.....
I kind of thought that myself. When the guy at the hardware store told me that I could just paint the particle board and it would look like paint... I did wonder if it was necessary. I just didn't want to spend the additional $50 on veneer if I could just paint the cabinet.

My gut told me that he was wrong.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I just updated my cabinets by painting them black.

Did you paint with a spray gun, a brush or a foam roller?

Old 08-23-2008, 08:38 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Did you paint with a spray gun, a brush or a foam roller?
I used a paint brush. However I did remove all the doors and painted each one individually. Due to the indentions in the wood the roller would have made more of a mess. I prime painted , regular painted then followed it with a lacquer finish. The lacquer will help protect it against kitchen spills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating