Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 12:41 PM

65 posts, read 238,702 times

Advertisements

Did all of you read on Yahoo today about the granite countertops and the radon it gives off? It was from the NY times. I guess the study was funded by Corian countertops. But still pretty scary. I called a company and he got back to me and said not to be too woried. That it gives off very minimal radon.
So my question is, does a house inspection include a radon test before you purchase it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 01:48 PM

116 posts, read 333,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeme View Post
Did all of you read on Yahoo today about the granite countertops and the radon it gives off? It was from the NY times. I guess the study was funded by Corian countertops. But still pretty scary. I called a company and he got back to me and said not to be too woried. That it gives off very minimal radon.
So my question is, does a house inspection include a radon test before you purchase it?
Interesting story.
In answer to your question, no a radon test is not usually performed on a routine home inspection. Generally a radon test is asked for specifically by the buyer if he or she feels its necessary.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:53 PM

327 posts, read 1,197,745 times
We just purchased a home with granite counter tops and had a radon test conducted as an add-on to our inspection. Our desire to test for radon had nothing to do with the granite and everything to do with the fact that we got burned with the sale of our previous house b/c the buyer did test and we found out we had a problem. Our test cost $150, which is standard. The test runs for 48 hours. Our results were 0.7, the "action" level is 4.0, so we were well below, granite counter tops and all.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:17 PM

677 posts, read 2,237,776 times
I thought all granite naturally emits radiation? Eh, maybe I'm wrong.. just something I heard somewhere.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:51 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
To my knowledge, radon tests are extra, cost extra and you have to ask for it. I'm glad I did b/c the level in my basement was 5.2, which is above the "safe" level. I got about $2K off the price, which was the estmate for radon abatement on an already built house - house is 87 y/o.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:12 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
snopes.com: Granite Countertops and Radon

Old 08-09-2008, 10:26 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Glad I came across this...Looking to buy..will ask for the test for sure!

Thanks for bringing it up!

Old 12-28-2008, 10:47 AM

8 posts, read 32,482 times
Best keep looking for info on this topic rather than believe the stone industry. Way too much money at risk, plus the have sucessfully covered this up for the past 14 years. They can’t tell the truth, so they keep digging the hole deeper.If this was a non issue, neither the CRCPD (state radiation officials) nor AARST (radon scientists) would have committees seting maximum allowable radiation/radon levels for stones and measurement protocols. ANSI and ASME are also looking into the controversy for their organizations.On the radon issue, we have a full scale radon test going currently, over 10 pCi/L so far from only 18square feet of granite in a 96 square foot room. That is like smoking 1 1/2 packs a day,forum.solidsurfacealliance.org • View topic - Four Seasons Granite Radon Test Is Underway We have a lot of info on the topics available.forum.solidsurfacealliance.orgsolidsurfa cealliance.org/blogsolidsurfacealliance.org

Old 12-28-2008, 11:03 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
This subject has been kicked around in here several times before.. The rumor was started by companies selling counter tops that compete with granite.
Nothing to worry about...

Old 12-30-2008, 05:49 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Radiation in Granite is no myth, radiation in dirt is no myth either. I only know about the Granite because it was one rock they compared coal and coal ash too:

Radioactive Elements in Coal and Fly Ash, USGS Factsheet 163-97
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating