Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 07:38 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times

Advertisements

I'm painting my interior walls now. I've been buying Valspaer eggshell finish at Lowe's. They had a great sale over Memorial Day so I bought the paint I thought I'd use through the summer. Only have two rooms done since.

Either way, I've been very pleased with my rooms. I've actually enjoyed painting with this paint versus the Duron and Sherwin Williams that I used in my two previous houses. The stuff goes on great and looks terrific as well.

We wanted to match our SWilliams color from our previous living room to this new one, so I stuck a mixing stick into the remains of our old SWilliams gallon can that I brought with me. Lowe's matched the color right off the stick into a Valspar color. After painting, I held the same stick against the wall and it was absolutely a perfect match. Can't beat that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 08:44 PM

10,398 posts, read 572,358 times
My husband is a professional Painter and here are his recommendations; Definately you can never go wrong with BENJAMIN MOORE for inside work. PITTSBURGH works well also. Try CABOT"S Solid Stain for Outside work (less Peeling) & PITTSBURGH Manor Hall is good for painting Exteriors. Sherwin Williams is OK. Some paints are overated and costly and really not worth what they advertise. As with any brand, there are better and worse grades. Sometimes the most expensive top of the line paint isn't the best for the job (ie. AURA by BM). It depends who will be painting and what other color you are painting over. You can never go wrong with putting down a primer if you are covering light over dark. Primer is relatively cheap and for alittle extra effort, your finished product will last longer and look better. Typically, Less quality paints don't cover as well. Just keep in mind that high gloss finishes tend to show more imperfections, so you might want to tone it down a bit. Flat Paint hides more so unless you have great preparation, so stay away from the shinier finishes. I Guess it all depends what you are looking for in general. Look at the whole picture and think about what you want to see as the finished product. I Hope this is helpful to someone out there. Husband of Ladeebug PS Dave1215 is right on the money!

Old 08-01-2008, 02:37 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Benjamin Moore Regal Matte (considered a flat paint) is rated #1 by Consumer Reports - I love this paint ($42).....close on BM's tail is Behr Premium Plus Enamel - th B.M. is $42, the Behr is $22.

#1 low luster paint is Kilz Casual Colors (Wal-Mart) at $19 a gallon with Valspar Signature Colors ($29) coming in at #2.

Semi Gloss: #1 is Valspar preium Colors with Behr #2 (both at $25 a gallon).

The reason I love flat paint for most of my walls (except trim kitchen and bath) is that I can change out my art - putty the nail holes, let that dry, sand and repaint and you can never tell where the nails were....it isn't as washable, but you can do touch ups that don't show like semi-gloss and I just like the low sheen on my walls.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:41 AM

380 posts, read 2,351,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
It may of been the paint contractor not using the correct label. When ever we contract a public place, medical, commercial I use low odor. I also will recommend it to homes owners especially if the residents have small children, elderly or respit.problems. I though don't even like to paint in a home where they are expecting a child unless they can leave for a day or two. Not all contractors make the recommendations for what ever reason. I have a commitement to my customers and I like to give them options.
We have a small child and would like to use a low odor paint (and primer) -- any brands you and others here recommend, or recommend against? We are removing wallpaper then painting our kitchen a few days before we move in. We'd like something that looks good, lasts long and is easy to clean. Thanks!

(ps to sueinge: sorry to hijack your thread! )

Old 08-02-2008, 10:10 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
PPG Manor hall is a paint I have heard alot of painters say they like and it is very durable they say. They also say always to use oil base paint on the woodwork for durabilty and scub ablitiy if you don't mind the smell for awhile.Alot oif painters don't like to use it because it takes more time between coats tho.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:40 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,797,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
PPG Manor hall is a paint I have heard alot of painters say they like and it is very durable they say. They also say always to use oil base paint on the woodwork for durabilty and scub ablitiy if you don't mind the smell for awhile.Alot oif painters don't like to use it because it takes more time between coats tho.
One of the main reasons I hate oil base paint is because its a pain to clean up from painting. Plus if you ever want to go over an oil base paint with Latex, you have to prime it with Kilz (another oil base product) first.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:12 AM

855 posts, read 2,396,669 times
I painted our entire house with Behr Premium Plus Ultra. We're very happy with how it turned out. Ours is 41 year old aluminum siding that was getting long in the tooth in spots and had one area where my wife's father sprayed deck stain on it while doing a gate and never bothered to clean it. I couldn't have cleaned it off without taking it down to metal but it covered it with one coat and we didn't use a very dark color. I do agree that prep work is crucial though. I went over that siding from top to bottom twice before getting started.

We ended up using Behr in the halls, foyer, kitchen and bathroom as well. We went much lighter in the kitchen and it covered without a problem. I've used several different brands over time but I'm a Behr convert. My wife has done her share of painting over the years and she was impressed as well.

I'm not saying it's the best by any means, but I've paid more for paint that didn't perform or cover as well.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:42 AM

44,628 posts, read 61,620,191 times
We've used Dunn-Edwards paint for over 25 years. Most top notch paint professionals in our area use Dunn-Edwards paint. Beats all the others for color and lasting quality. IMHO.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:31 AM

656 posts, read 1,991,633 times
I've decided to use Behr interior flat washable paint. It goes on easy and with 2 small children the washable kind is a great benefit. I used to use Ralph Lauren --- loved the paint but I don't think it was any better for the extra dollars I paid for it. I just love RL colors that I have matched with the Behr.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:15 AM

147 posts, read 689,221 times
We use Sherwin-Williams. The particular kind depends on which room.

My in-laws always have used Behr. When we moved into our new house they helped us paint and my FIL couldn't get over how much easier the S-W paint went on, and how better the coverage was. Of course, it's pricey, and so they won't buy it. But it was an interesting perspective from someone who's used both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating