Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 10:55 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,188 times

Advertisements

I have verticals on my sliding glass door in the kitchen, I honestly did not know what else to put over this door. The idea of curtains over the door just didn't sit right...I would not feel comfortable having verticals over my windows though...I have white wood blinds on all my windows with curtain toppers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 11:04 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
It your house, it depends on what YOU like. Don't go by what you hear on HGTV, you'll ending up throwing out everything in your house trying to keep up with those shows.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:47 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,059 times
You can still dress up your verticals and give them a softer look. In the past we have put sheers over them so we could have them open and still have some kind of privacy. The last place we lived, we had our curtians on both sides and it made it feel homey. If you take the vanes out (the parts that hang down) just take a credit card and put it up where the vane attaches to the headrail. It makes it so much easier to take them down without messing them up.
Quote:
It your house, it depends on what YOU like. Don't go by what you hear on HGTV, you'll ending up throwing out everything in your house trying to keep up with those shows.
I agree. I have been surprised how many still use vertical blinds in thier homes. Its a personal preference. If I listened to HGTV, all the furniture, curtains, bedspreads and rugs I have in my home would have been gone years ago. I like my tans, sages, burgundy, purples, golds and dark wood furniture too much.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:47 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,356 times
If you buy what you truly love, then you won't have to worry what is ever "in" or "out." It's only when you follow trends without your heart that your house ends up looking outdated.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:38 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
I agree.
I personally like the vertical blinds we have. They seem to be made well and do the job.
I only wish the living room ones were not pink. They are fabric, and they do come off (unhook), so perhaps they could be dyed.

I do not really like pink, (or coral) color......the color seems dated. Our countertops are this color and I'll be changing that also.

Frank D.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:10 PM

822 posts, read 3,002,937 times
LOL, I love thinking about those pink panels. Thanks frank for those posts A decorator in 2001 (different house) had suggested we go with colored waffle blinds (do you know the ones I am talking about?); I said 'no' and we went with white, but as it turned out those things just collected so much dirt - ugh filthy! I digress.For some reason, these vertical ones were really making the family room quite dreary. I did take down one of the sets (just not enough energy to do both) and we had a "wow" moment - so much more light, etc.I wouldn't necessarily mind these in a different room, like one of the upstairs bedrooms. When I was looking at the house (as a prospective buyer) I just thought they were soooo fancy. There are a lot of things about this house that I loved when I first walked through and then ended up disliking or just needing to change.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:18 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Are white Plantation shutters "out" too ?
I've always liked them....

Frank D.
PLantation shutters are IN, IN, IN!! they look great--and i think they are really a classic

Old 08-02-2008, 07:37 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,918 times
Talking I painted mine!

Faithful - A few years ago I painted my living room. My vertical blinds were gray and I changed my paint colors to tan/beige. I unhooked my gray fabric vertical blinds and laid them out on newspaper in my yard. I brushed white paint on some of them and then my painter finished them up by spraying them. They still look great and I saved lots by not replacing them!

Old 08-03-2008, 06:33 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
Thanks! I thought of that, so it's good that I now know it works.
We are only down there a few times a year now, and rent it between those times, so they will stay as is for now.
When we live there full time, I'm sure it will be on my wifes "short honeydew list".
I like them more then she does....we'll see......

Frank D.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:51 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
I agree.
I personally like the vertical blinds we have. They seem to be made well and do the job.
I only wish the living room ones were not pink. They are fabric, and they do come off (unhook), so perhaps they could be dyed.

I do not really like pink, (or coral) color......the color seems dated. Our countertops are this color and I'll be changing that also.

Frank D.
Frank, I'm sitting here laughing at the thought of your pink blinds and countertops.

To th OP, it's your house go with what you like! You don't need to be constrained by "what's in" or someone else's idea of stylish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating