Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 11:33 AM

604 posts, read 4,621,797 times

Advertisements

I admit I have problems making choices, so under pressure from DH I chose 1 piant color for the master bath and 1 for the master bedroom.

I did small test patches (1' sq) on several areas of the room to get the effect.

I don't like them : (

They are very light shades of beige/cream. Can I have them remixed into a one slightly darker color? I bought them at Lowes. I don't want to waste 4 gallons paint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 11:43 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times
Can't hurt to ask. I'm sure they will not garentee the color. If the color is good and the shade is what is off, ask them to just darken it.
the only way to get the true color would be to start with a clean fresh base. One already colored cannot be tinted to another color.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:43 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,724,505 times
Next time, buy just a quart of paint and paint an area. Study them under different lighting conditions (daylight and interior lighting at night).

Old 08-12-2008, 12:56 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
I watched a professional painter play with the tint of paint. He used something and just squirted it into the can and stirred and changed the color shade. For the life of me I can't remember what it was.

I would try Lowes again, but you may have better luck with a professional paint store, but then, they may not want to mess with Lowes paint.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:09 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,824 times
They actually do have small cans (less than a quart) that you can buy for something like $3 to test the color. I have bought mine at Home Depot, but I think Lowes also has it.
Good luck!

Old 08-12-2008, 05:25 PM

681 posts, read 2,359,887 times
If you can't get the paint retinted at the store, opt to get an additional quart of paint in the deepest shade on the same paint strip and custom tint at home. You can either pour all four gallons into one large five-gallon container and tint from there, or do each container and be very precise in the volume of tint you're adding to keep the shades controlled.

I've done this quite a few times and it works out well. Especially when I want a shade that sits between two on the paint strip.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:26 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,955,448 times
Lowes will adjust the color slightly, but all 4 gallons may not match exactly. One of my co-workers freaked out after they painted her bedroom.....venetian gold, turned out to be metallicy butterscotch, they had the next gallon tinted with a creamy tint and it toned it down to a nice warm color.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:28 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
"Lowes will adjust the color slightly, but all 4 gallons may not match exactly."
That's why it's a good idea to pour the single gallon cans into a 5 gallon bucket to blend all the colors.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:12 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,327,828 times
This works for me. I paint big sheets of white poster board (17X 22 +/-) with regular old craft paint that comes in the little bottles. BTW you can mix craft paint and water base house paint. You can buy a lot of craft paint for the price of a quart of paint. If you do crafty stuf you might even already have some on hand.

I take my painted poster board and place it around the room next to various things and at different times of the day. Some times a color that looks good on one wall looks like crap on the other side of the room. Or it goes with the sofa but not the chairs. Once I get just the right color I take my painted poster board to the paint store and have it color matched.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:10 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
"Lowes will adjust the color slightly, but all 4 gallons may not match exactly."
That's why it's a good idea to pour the single gallon cans into a 5 gallon bucket to blend all the colors.
Exactly. Best way to avoid any pigments being lighter or darker.
Lowes can tint them darker if you want them to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating