Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2008, 06:10 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,564,768 times

Advertisements

We are preparing our house to move and know we have to replace the microwave above the stove and, possibly, the stove. The home is in a nice neighborhood but is smallish [good starter or retiree home at 1650 sf, ranch]

This is a basic Ryan tract home built in 1995. Floors vinyl, off white, countertops white laminate. Oak cabinets. Here is the dilemma -

when we moved in we had a black side by side refrigerator which we may leave with the house - may take - nice 27 cubic foot unit ice in the door etc,. but it is about 10 years old. We replaced the dishwasher with a very nice black unit [so the dishwasher is a plus in terms of quality] the stove is the cheap standard electric unit that came with the house

(1) would you replace the stove - it works fine, the porcelain {paint?} is worn off some near one of the burners though.

(1a) what about painting the stove --- I know I have painted appliances before with appliance paint and did a good job, but I am not so sure about the cooktop.

(2) would you replace the microwave or just put in a vent fan. ufortunately it does not vent to the outside. Something needs to go there.

(3) Colorwise what would be the best approach? The dishwasher is only viewable from the kitchen, but the stove and refrigerator are more visible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 06:53 AM

786 posts, read 3,928,557 times
I would replace the stove and the microwave with new units in black to match the rest of the appliances. If I were a buyer, I would reduce my offer if I had to buy a new stove and microwave, or if the appliances did not match that would bother me (even if the fridge wasn't included).

Or you could always do something like a "buyers credit" toward replacing those items. Sometimes that is an incentive to a buyer knowing that they can pick out the items themselves and you are acknowledging that they need to be replaced.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:33 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,774,415 times
Talk to a realtor in your area, they would know best. Depending on the location and the price, new appliances may not make a difference.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:49 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,304,965 times
Black is a hard to match as white. I'd buy stainless. I would not paint the stove. Bjuy a used one.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:21 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,352,832 times
Buy a black oven and microwave to leave with the home.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:56 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,672,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
We are preparing our house to move and know we have to replace the microwave above the stove and, possibly, the stove. The home is in a nice neighborhood but is smallish [good starter or retiree home at 1650 sf, ranch]

This is a basic Ryan tract home built in 1995. Floors vinyl, off white, countertops white laminate. Oak cabinets. Here is the dilemma -

when we moved in we had a black side by side refrigerator which we may leave with the house - may take - nice 27 cubic foot unit ice in the door etc,. but it is about 10 years old. We replaced the dishwasher with a very nice black unit [so the dishwasher is a plus in terms of quality] the stove is the cheap standard electric unit that came with the house

(1) would you replace the stove - it works fine, the porcelain {paint?} is worn off some near one of the burners though.

(1a) what about painting the stove --- I know I have painted appliances before with appliance paint and did a good job, but I am not so sure about the cooktop.

(2) would you replace the microwave or just put in a vent fan. ufortunately it does not vent to the outside. Something needs to go there.

(3) Colorwise what would be the best approach? The dishwasher is only viewable from the kitchen, but the stove and refrigerator are more visible.
Kitchens today are the biggest selling point in the home. All appliances must match. It is not that expensive to replace a stove and above range microwave oven. I would recommend both be done. You do not have to buy top of the line. You could probably replace both for about $550.00
I painted a fridge once...never again....the end result was not worth the time or effort! Since your fridge is black....keep the rest the same! You could even look in the classifieds...sometimes people get rid of like new appliances just because they get bored and want to change what they have out.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:11 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,657,003 times
i would definitely get the new stove and microwave. black, or black with stainless. I would also leave the frig. If your home is on the smaller side and could be considered a type of starter home, or first-time home, the benefit of having the appliances included would be huge. This could really make things more attractive to that buyer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating