Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 19,988 times

Advertisements

I am buying a dark (espresso) brown leather sofa (because I can't find nice black ones lately). I really wanted to do maroon (reddish-maroon rather than purplish-maroon) accents for that room (eg. pillows, rug, drapes, lamps, etc.), but does maroon go with dark brown?

Also, I'm getting a tv stand for my new black flat screen tv. Since its a black tv, I'm getting a black glass tv stand like this one ([url=http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7705628&type=product&id=11380852 96252]Bush - TV Stand for Flat-Panel TVs up to 62" - Black - VS74962[/url]). Would that look odd with the dark brown couch? They are not next to each other, but I wonder if it would look weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 09:47 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmateurDecorator View Post
I am buying a dark (espresso) brown leather sofa (because I can't find nice black ones lately). I really wanted to do maroon (reddish-maroon rather than purplish-maroon) accents for that room (eg. pillows, rug, drapes, lamps, etc.), but does maroon go with dark brown?

Also, I'm getting a tv stand for my new black flat screen tv. Since its a black tv, I'm getting a black glass tv stand like this one (Bush - TV Stand for Flat-Panel TVs up to 62" - Black - VS74962). Would that look odd with the dark brown couch? They are not next to each other, but I wonder if it would look weird.
Personally I would go with more neutrals if you are having black accents as in tv stand etc. I would keep it to earthtones and do gold accents. My son had that color scheme and I just changed it out. Burgundy is a little outdated. Pain the walls a medium color in the taupe family. Not too dark and not a pastel. Paint one or two walls an accent color of a soft gold. Since your tv is black framed and your stand is black glass......get some nice wrought iron candle holders for the table. Maybe put some big black wrought iron candle sconces on the walls. These black accents will pull your tv and stand colors into the rest of the decor. World Market has some nice accent pieces. As far as pillow for your couch or a nice throw...I do not know what your taste is...Old World? Modern? Traditional? Hope this helps.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:59 PM

25 posts, read 95,645 times
no maroon w/the brown and black. Have been an artist and contractor for over 10 years. Paint: Look at Sherwin Wm in Compatible Cream - ask for the fan deck so you can see the whole line of colors w/it- skip a color in between Blonde is also a nice color, too. You may want to match the brown from the couch and use as an accent wall across the room to pull the color around -- Get an area rug that has some brown, black, beiges - then pick an accent - orange, blue or shades of turqoiuse, greens, Watch Taupe it can look pink - in doubt get a quart color sample and put it on a good sized piece of poster board and tape to all walls to see if it changes colors. Just put some brown panels on either side of the windows - if the windows are small take the rod higher than the window - to give height. Target has some nice colors for less $$. Try not to buy here and there - or it may not go together. Try Design It w/Consignment - Lisa will help you pull things together.
good luck - haven't moved to Austin yet

Old 09-17-2008, 07:41 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times
I would throw in a nice brown and cream zebra rug! If you can find it! I have been looking for one for two years now. All the zebra rugs I find are black and white!

Old 10-23-2008, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 19,507 times
I think your room will look a little dark with the black/brown/maroon color scheme. Maybe you can lighten things up by incorporating some cream or white accents as well as a bold color like phxpainter suggested.To blondie621, FabulousFurs.com has a beautiful brown and cream zebra rug that you might like.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:37 AM

161 posts, read 563,536 times
too dark for my taste - puts me in mind of a gentleman's club.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:03 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
I would throw in a nice brown and cream zebra rug! If you can find it! I have been looking for one for two years now. All the zebra rugs I find are black and white!
blondie, Home Decorators catalog has some brown zebra rugs.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:09 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
It's not that maroon doesn't go with brown, but it's that maroon is a bad color that's over. Listen to the other posters.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:08 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
It would work...maroon, burgundy.

For the poster that complained that it would look like a gentleman's club--some people LIKE the classic or traditional style....

What it REALLY boils down to, honestly, is do YOU like it! Our opinions really don't make a difference if YOU are unhappy with the results...or vice versa (if you're happy, but no one else is).

Old 07-14-2009, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 16,769 times
I would not do maroon. I have a new brown leather sofa and loveseat and my wall was a dark mauve so I am looking for a different color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating