Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 08:58 PM

66 posts, read 382,435 times

Advertisements

My husband just bought 1.5 acre property in which we plan to eventually tear down and custom build, however, until then, I need to make the house that is there now liveable. It is an older home with low ceilings. White trim,hardwood floors throughout. The paint on the walls now is AWFUL with the exception of the family room.
I love Benjamin Moore so if you can suggest specific colors, I'd really appreciate it! I was overwhelmed when looking at paint fans today. :/ A color I originally liked all of a sudden looked too green,too yellow, or too pink in comparison to other colors. I eventually gave up! HELP!! :-)
Also, keep in mind that most of our furniture is chocolate brown, including sofas,duvet,curtains...so, need some color! But then again, I don't want our house looking like a circus. I'd like all the rooms to flow. blues,greens,grays...or golds,yellows,reds... i saw a dining room done in a rich dark brown and it was gorgeous and romantic. although, that might be too much brown considering all our lvng room colors are brown. maybe a nice gold for the lvng rm?
i went online to bejamin moore color viewer and found some colors I like but they may not look the same on MY walls.

I love the color schemes in the homes of Desparate Housewives and Sex and the City(Charlotte).

here are the pics. don't let the current colors throw you off. I don't want them at all! except for maybe the pale yellow in family room(pic 4).

pic1-this is the main entry living room. leads into dining area.
pic2-another view of lvng room
pic 3-master bedroom
pic 4- family room. lots of light. actually like the current paint color. not sure if i should change it
pic 5- breakfast nook- i'd like to accent this area with a dark or rich color. thinking BM dorset gold? or would a rich blue or green compliment the yellow in the family room better? even brown or red clay maybe? have no idea!
pic 6-kitchen-this needs color too. something that flows with breakfast nook accent color.

remodeling the master bathroom so no pic of that but a suggestion for that room would be great too. obviously something that compliments the bedroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Look at pics and help suggest wall color. :)-dsc_0866.jpg   Look at pics and help suggest wall color. :)-dsc_0867.jpg   Look at pics and help suggest wall color. :)-dsc_0868.jpg   Look at pics and help suggest wall color. :)-dsc_0878.jpg   Look at pics and help suggest wall color. :)-dsc_0882.jpg  

Look at pics and help suggest wall color. :)-dsc_0872.jpg  

Last edited by kittypawz11; 09-16-2008 at 09:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 09:22 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,485,070 times
i like these colors:
sweet orange, butter, fresh cut grass, wales green, white satin, ocean air, whispering spring, sandy white, mellowed ivory, and filtered sunlight. there are lots more though!

but my question is you're going to tear this house down? it looks like it has a lot of potential and good bones and lots of character!! i think it's beautiful! those windows, floors, fireplace, etc. are really nice.

good luck!

Old 09-16-2008, 11:12 PM

thank you! yes, I agree, it's a cute little house but it's only 2 bed 2 bath and we have a 2 year old, a 7 mo old and plan to have more. Plus, I have a huge family that visits often so I need guest rooms..and a playroom for the kids! :-)
I think this little house is about 3000 sq ft total. We are moving out of a very nice 6000 sq foot home that we would keep if the lot wasn't so small.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:45 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Geez, I think the colors that are there are just gorgeous. Every room looks like a flower! I'd just leave them the way they are. But I'd buy some carpet. I think bare floors are really unpleasant.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-16-2008, 11:54 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,398,572 times
I too think the colors are nice, except for the red in the bedroom and the lack of color in the kitchen. Red is too active a color for a bedroom, I'd go with a sage green color to promote rest.

Why can't you just add onto this house instead of tearing it down? It seems to be in good shape and would be a waste of resources to start all over again. And maybe it's just me, but 3000sq feet seems HUGE. I was raised with my brother in a 1200sq foot home and we were happy. I just don't understand the supersized homes of today.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:29 AM

1,294 posts, read 6,485,070 times
i agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
I too think the colors are nice, except for the red in the bedroom and the lack of color in the kitchen. Red is too active a color for a bedroom, I'd go with a sage green color to promote rest.

Why can't you just add onto this house instead of tearing it down? It seems to be in good shape and would be a waste of resources to start all over again. And maybe it's just me, but 3000sq feet seems HUGE. I was raised with my brother in a 1200sq foot home and we were happy. I just don't understand the supersized homes of today.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:16 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittypawz11 View Post
thank you! yes, I agree, it's a cute little house but it's only 2 bed 2 bath and we have a 2 year old, a 7 mo old and plan to have more. Plus, I have a huge family that visits often so I need guest rooms..and a playroom for the kids! :-)
I think this little house is about 3000 sq ft total. We are moving out of a very nice 6000 sq foot home that we would keep if the lot wasn't so small.
As I look around my little 784 square foot house I find it hard to imagine anyone thinking that 3000 square feet is small! Of course, I can relate on wanting a large yard, I love my 26 acres! But I'd just be LOST in a house that was 3000 square feet! LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-17-2008, 12:09 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
kittypawz, I would also recommend that you buy the couple jars of the sampler paints. when we were looking for golden colors, I purchased the dorset and it was really pretty yellow gold. as in other post, check out the goldfinch

Old 09-17-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
kittypawz, I would also recommend that you buy the couple jars of the sampler paints. when we were looking for golden colors, I purchased the dorset and it was really pretty yellow gold. as in other post, check out the goldfinch
thank you! So...

i think i'm going with either acorn yellow in lvng room. keeping the pale yellow in family room,a deep red brown in dining(satchel), and anjou pear in kitchen. not sure about kitchen color with this palette yet.

OR...or powell buff in living room,dark green in dining(turtle green),with valley forge brown or toasted pecan in kitchen.

keeping it safe and using powell puff in bedroom!!!

definitely need to test tho!
thanks for your all your suggestions. any more would be great. :-)

Old 09-20-2008, 01:31 PM

604 posts, read 4,620,598 times
Benjamin Moore does all the paints for the rooms in the PotteryBarn catalog. They even list the paint colors and you can order a swatch book. Gives you idea what color will look like over entire room. Each season they change the 30 or so colors, so check around for older catalogs too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating