Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2008, 09:20 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever heard of Donald Kaufmann paint colors? I saw a paint color that I liked in a magazine and it said it was by Donald Kaufmann. Apparently they take Pratt and lambert paint and colorize it with full-spectrum minerals. The colors are supposed to be really pure. Does anyone have any experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 11:17 PM

5 posts, read 356,233 times
Wink The skinny on "full spectrum paints"

I've heard of Kaufman, as well as Citron and Ellen Kennon. I can't speak to the individual differences among each brand, but in general, a paint is said to be "full spectrum" when it uses pigments from all the colors in the rainbow to create its shade.

For example, most beiges or tans are created by using a mixture of red or maroon, plus yellow or gold, and black. A full spectrum color would arrive at a similar tone, but by using EVERYTHING in the tint machine EXCEPT black and white. It would be made of 7 individual pigments, though of course, some pigments could only be present in minute amounts, otherwise you couldn't achieve a discreet shade. You'd end up with brown or black.

Still, you'll be limited on how light the color can be, if it must include at least a dab of everything. Off whites are probably out of the question. Further, many of the formulas would likely not be available in a quart (too small amounts of some pigments to dispense at that ratio) and would have to made in a gallon. That makes testing expensive!

Devotees claim that full-spectrum paint colors avoid gray shadows or mudiness, and change pleasingly with the light.

I have mixed feelings about the hype surrounding full spectrum paints.
As someone who's a perfectionist about color, I can appreciate the obsession with something complex. I do believe that colors with a large number of pigments in their formula achieve an interesting depth that may be lacking in simple formulas.

However, there are so many factors that can influence the appearance of color, it's hard to separate those environmental factors from what's really due to the paint formula. Or even the quality of the paint, or its sheen, both of which can vary dramatically depending on brand and price.

My advice is this: if you like the idea of full spectrum paint, but not the price (which can be $50 a gallon in some cases), find a freestanding paint store with people who know color, like a Sherwin Williams. Take them a chip you want matched and tell them you want to use every color in the machine except black.

Having your color made in a super-white base will also help with the light reflective qualities.

Color consultants can help you with this sort of issue as well. If you've tried several shades and are still stumped, you might check out Paint Color Help.com - Home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating