Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 04:04 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My first thought is that you're 30, not 20. I would stay away from the cheap,"dorm room/first apartment" places like Pier One, except for accessories. If you don't start getting some nice things now, pretty soon you'll be 40 and still have nothing nice.
My advice is to buy quality things you love. I sort of disagree with the other poster about Ethan Allen. to me, it's a lot more "sizzle" than steak... So,so quality at high prices. Try Crate & Barrel.
I only want furniture I can actually see, feel and sit on before I buy it, so I would never dare to buy something on line unless I'd seen it in person first.
If I were you, I would just keep visiting furniture stores until I found the exactly right things at a price you're comfortable with. It's a lot of fun to hunt for the perfect sofa, etc.

Yikes, that advice scares me. The idea that because your in your 30s you "should have" or "deserve to have" furniture better than that of Ikea or Pier One is absurd! If you can afford Crate and Barrel that is great, but if not don't worry about it. Who wants to sit on a $3000 couch and worry about paying it off each month?

As far as long-term pieces like couches and dining tables, I prefer to buy the nicer ones if possible, but if not get a cheapo from Target or Ikea or something used till I can save up. For most/all other furniture I prefer cheaper pieces that I don't mind switching out more often to change the style a bit. I try to avoid the mid-range prices since they usually aren't great quality but are too expensive to replace on a whim. To learn what "quality" really is, I suggest doing some research on consumer reports or somewhere similar. They will tell you how to just based on real workmanship not just appearance if you go for higher-end stuff.

Also, for more affordable pieces I try to buy real wood from Ikea. You can easily paint or stain it, replace and knobs/hardware if it has them to update the style or make it more classic if need be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 03:44 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,347,377 times
Exactly how much can you afford. I would recommend Baker, but I don't know if you can pay 10K plus for a sofa.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:18 AM

192 posts, read 631,449 times
Try overstock.com - I have bought many items (always check the reviews) for clients and it's worked out well, mainly because shipping has been a flat $2.95!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck - I agree that being in NC you're in a perfect area. I agree that a sofa MUST be "tried out". Even then I bought a gorgeous Ralph Lauren leather sofa which is not good for comfortable tv watching - so take your time. Also, in my town we have a local independent paper with classifieds. There are some amazing, high quality items, for very little money and they are local so you can try them out!!! I wish you fun and success, and congrats on your new home!!

Old 11-13-2008, 12:41 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,548,295 times
I know that Macy's carries some good lines of furniture - and they often have a furniture clearance area in each region. Personally, I am a big fan of Bernhardt (both in construction and style) and Macy's carries them - so works for me. I find it at full price in the local show room, then make a weekly trip past the clearance center to see if it shows up in good condition.

JC Penney also has a clearance area of their discontinued furniture items.

Most good manufactureres in NC have an outlet down there. You should be able to find discontinues, or others at good prices.

Some day my husband and I will make a pilgrimage to the Baker outlet in Wisconsin. We have a baker king bed (with cream/leather upholstery) that retailed for $8000 that we got for $250 at a Macy's clearance center. We love it!! But Baker doesn't show up in the clearance centers that often.

Also a lot of Sherril (they have great upholstery pieces), and Henredon (nice case goods, though some of their pieces are too arty for me).

Just keep your eye open - especially for manufacturer's outlets - that's where you'll get the better deals.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:08 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
Buying stuff from rent a center can be cheap. My brother got a nice wrap around couch for 200 bucks (post rented by others) But it looked brand new. It had to be over 800 easily brand new.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:37 PM

261 posts, read 954,653 times
Check out auction houses too. There is one here near me in MA and we bought our Queen size bed, night table, sons twin shaker style bed, 2 end tables and a lamp for $300.00! It is similar to Ebay, but you go to the Auction house to view the item and pick it up there as well. You can bid online, phone or in person.

Also bought our chest freezer for $25.00. The end tables were from a furniture store that went out of business and the original price tags were inside - $500 per table!!! We got a great deal going that way.

Have fun window shopping and take your time to get what you really like and can afford.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:38 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Buying stuff from rent a center can be cheap. My brother got a nice wrap around couch for 200 bucks (post rented by others) But it looked brand new. It had to be over 800 easily brand new.
beware of buying used furniture. I bought a couch from a rent a center and it was...err infested with pests.

Makes my skin crawl when I think of that experience. I had to have my apartment fumigated, which then caused the entire building to be fumigated.

I vowed to NEVER AGAIN buy used furniture.

I am also wary of plastic bags from grocery stores.

{shudder}

Old 11-15-2008, 04:23 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times
Determine what style of decor appeals to you - really take time to look at magazines and decorating books and see what style you are drawn too - know what you like first and then try to come up with a cohesive plan to furnish and purchase the things for your home.

Invest in a good couch and chairs - things that you actually sit on and use every day (like dressers and matresses - buy the best you can afford).

Do look for bargains where accessories are concerned....HomeGoods, T.J. Maxx, Marshalls, etc....often have very nice accessories (rugs, lamps, tables, art glass, etc.) at affordable prices.

Do think about mixing a few antique tables and accessories in with your newer pieces - you really want to avoid that "I just went out and bought all my furniture at one store" look.....avoid matching everything - look through decorating magazines that you admire and notice that the richest looking rooms have a mix of new and old and not everything matches....even very contemporary decors will often include a few simple-lined antiques, sometimes even a primitive piece or two.

I'd suggest coming up with a color palette that you would like to live with. Do you like earthtones? Jewel tones? Clear primary colors? Pastels? Neutrals?

I'd suggest going to a good paint store and gather up some paint chip colors that you like together - often those colors will be in the same color grouping or card....personally I love fairly neutral paint - often in the Benjamin Moore Shaker Beige type colors - then I can bring in colors that I like in rugs, drapes, upholstery and accessories (lamps, art, decorative pieces)....choosing bright wall colors or unusual colors may be tempting, but I find them very limiting - especially for living and family rooms. Take the paint sample cards and put them in a zip-lock baggy...if you are looking at upholstery fabric, include samples of that fabric in your baggy - keep your room measurements and inspiration pictures with your paint and fabric samples....this will help tremendously when you consider purchases for your home.

Often it is a good idea to purchase and place your major pieces of furniture in a room before purchasing rugs or tables - how you eventually place your couches and chairs will determine what size area rugs and tables you need.

Once you have your color palette, then begin to purchase your main pieces of furniture - wait to buy accessories - I know it is hard to do, but it will save you time and money in the long run.

Do take measurements of your room and know ahead of time - before you purchase furniture - what size couches, chairs, accessory tables, area rugs, that will fit into your room.

Many decorators start the decorating process with area rugs or capets - I do just the opposite - I buy the most important pieces first (couches, chairs, etc.) in the fabrics I love and then I choose rugs and drapes - seems to work better for me.

Remember, you don't need to purchase everything at once - go slow, come up with a decorating/color palette plan before you start purchasing anything....spend wisely and just let your home evolve slowly into a wonderful space for you and your family.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:16 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,124 times
cattknap, Good advice. The only thing I would like to add is that hard lines like tables, hutch, dressers ect should be the best you can afford. These are items that will last forever if you buy top quality. Upholstered items we normally have to replace so IF you need to save some cash buy lesser quality for now. And as we age are "styles" change so with most of the wood items if you stay with timeless they can be used with your style in 10 yrs, or 20 yrs.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,614 times
Look no further than Kathy Ireland's Home Brand. You could honestly decorate every single room in your house with variety, quality, and for a price that you will never think twice about. Her commitment to making home decorating affordable is just incredible!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating