Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 04:52 AM

339 posts, read 975,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

This is great, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 06:31 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,148,678 times
Default Wainscotting

Sanrene,

You're room is exquisite. Great choices.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:10 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Thanks. Not quite done yet. Waiting for the table and chairs.

I can assure you - a LOT of blood, sweat and tears are nailed to those walls. How do you convince a husband that the joints must be absolutely perfect?

Here's a before & after - side by side;

Now just the table and then it will be complete.

As you can probably tell, I am amazed and proud of how it turned out. I love paneled walls, so in my opinion, you can't have too much. We are thinking of extending the wainscot through the hall and possibly the living room, which is directly opposite the dining.

I'm thinking of lifting that carpet in the dining room and laying a nice limestone in a pin-wheel pattern.

Last edited by sanrene; 12-01-2008 at 12:10 PM..

Old 07-07-2010, 01:04 PM

4 posts, read 10,951 times
That is beautiful, just what I want! Is this a kit or did you do the panels yourselves? Also, the paint colors are great. I wrote down the colors, what is the brand of paint?
And a question for anyone, I have lower ceilings, just under 8 ft. Shouldn't the chair rail be lower to make the ceilings seem higher? or do I have that wrong? Thanks

Old 07-07-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwrm45 View Post
That is beautiful, just what I want! Is this a kit or did you do the panels yourselves? Also, the paint colors are great. I wrote down the colors, what is the brand of paint?
And a question for anyone, I have lower ceilings, just under 8 ft. Shouldn't the chair rail be lower to make the ceilings seem higher? or do I have that wrong? Thanks
Thank you. We did it all ourselves, from the design layout to the finished product.

It took the longest to actually design the panels and the spacing. You really have to treat it one wall at a time.

The brand is Benjamin Moore on the wall and SW - Dover white for the wood.

I have 9 foot ceilings so the chair needed to be proportional to that. I think I put it at 42 inches.

If you have 8 foot ceilings, the CR should be around 36 inches high, but I've seen other designs with different dimensions, just depends on the look you're going for.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:54 PM

381 posts, read 1,365,766 times
That looks amazing! And what a remarkable change.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:53 AM

74 posts, read 288,962 times
Sanrene - your makeover is amazing! I want wainscoting in our dining room but also have stained wood trim that would have to be painted white for it to flow. Did you replace the trim in your upstairs too? What about the railing on the stairs?

Old 07-09-2010, 03:20 PM

205 posts, read 479,450 times
Looks great. Looks like a lot of character was added.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefy View Post
Sanrene - your makeover is amazing! I want wainscoting in our dining room but also have stained wood trim that would have to be painted white for it to flow. Did you replace the trim in your upstairs too? What about the railing on the stairs?
Thank you!

No, I painted all the upstairs colonial-style door trim - same Dover White as downstairs. We did replace the the baseboard upstairs as well. I use MDF molding, baseboard whenever possible. The trim above the doors and windows downstairs is a built-up MDF just like this;

MDF door header molding

As you can see from the Before dining room pics, there was no trim around the doors or windows, just the drywall.

We did use wood for the "paneling" and trim on the columns by the door.

I left the railing for the stairs the stained wood.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloLight View Post
Looks great. Looks like a lot of character was added.
Thank you. It's funny, I love the outside of the house - very Craftsman-like with columns, porch, etc. But the interior did not have anything like that.

What took the longest with this project was actually designing it and figuring the dimensions and thickness of the wood - trying to take what I had in my head and apply it to the room.

Here's the FM area;

Before:

After:

We didn't bring the paneling into the hall and family, but we trimmed out those ugly columns, trimmed out the doors, added the crown and painted the 6-panel doors.

My husband was VERY leery of my design for the crown at the "top" of the columns, but under the wall (same thing we did in the DR), but when everything was finally done, he really loved it.

Last edited by sanrene; 07-09-2010 at 05:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating