Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 10:42 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,697,410 times

Advertisements

Okay, so below is a photo of our formal living and dining areas. We've pretty much nailed down furniture, but I need suggestions on paint color. Take a close look at the yellow/taupe color on the pillows on the sofa. We're thinking of painting the walls along this line, perhaps a little lighter. The dining room we'd like to paint a gentle olive color. Additionally, we'd like to paint the one back wall inside the dining niche (where the buffet is) the same color as the living area and the back wall in the niche above the formal living area (top center of the photo - niche is about 8' wide x 9' high) the same olive color as the dining room. Large artwork would incorporate the greens and oranges already present throughout the space. Thoughts? Any other color ideas? Thanks!!

Attached Thumbnails
Suggestion for Entry/Formal Living Room-dsc_0010.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 06:09 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,814 times
Personal Color Viewer®

you can upload your picture here, and then play with colors..

Old 11-30-2008, 09:24 PM

275 posts, read 1,545,039 times
Default So far so good

Love what you have done so far. You have a very nice space there. We just painted our living rm and dining room olive/green/sage...one of those Anyway, since you have warm colors, I would suggest a warm brown or tan. A soft, buttery yellow with gold undertones might work as well. A burnt orange would look pretty but I'm not that bold. Good luck!

Old 11-30-2008, 09:36 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
Go with the yellow/gold in the pillows with the accent walls your thinking of. It's different but the accents will incorporate both spaces but keep them seperate. It will make a flow of the eyes as you walk in, but maintain them as seperate rooms.
It's a nice space and has good flow. The light yellow will make it feel brighter and bigger. Keep the olive a light green, not a dark olive.
You have good taste and it shows.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
Go with the yellow/gold in the pillows with the accent walls your thinking of. It's different but the accents will incorporate both spaces but keep them seperate. It will make a flow of the eyes as you walk in, but maintain them as seperate rooms.
It's a nice space and has good flow. The light yellow will make it feel brighter and bigger. Keep the olive a light green, not a dark olive.
You have good taste and it shows.
Thanks, Shane. I was thinking the same thing - I want to do a yellowish/taupish color as seen in the pillows. We'll pick up a sampling of a couple different shades and do the squares above the sofa against the wall. It really is the best way. We will definitely be going light on the olive - something very neutral and soft.

We're having a rep from a local family-owned painting company come by in the next week or two to provide estimates and samples. Hopefully these white walls will be gone by Christmas!!!

Old 12-08-2008, 11:14 AM

Okay, so we played with some of the websites that were suggested and came to two conclusions. It all came together when we got a flyer on our door last week from a local family-owned business offering free interior paint estimates. Naturally, we called, since this is something we've been considering for quite some time.

They came out last Thursday for the estimates and color suggestions and returned yesterday with 8 samples - 4 in the yellow/gold tones and 4 in the green/sage tones. We settled on Blair Gold for the entry/living area and Wethersfield Moss for the dining, both by Benjamin Moore.

They're coming this Thursday and should be done by Sunday, so once it's all painted, I'll post another photo, ala "before and after".

Thanks, again, everyone!

Old 01-12-2009, 10:22 PM

Painted version! We're pretty pleased!
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestion for Entry/Formal Living Room-img_0745.jpg  

Old 01-12-2009, 10:27 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,910,360 times
very nice.

What color is that in your dining room and living room?. Some sort of sage green and tan/brown??

I absolutely love it. I want those 2 colors you have as my color scheme in my family room.

What are the colors???

Old 01-12-2009, 10:34 PM

Thanks!! The living room and dining accent wall are Blair Gold and the dining room and living room accent wall are Wethersfield Moss.. both Benjamin Moore. They're dark and bold, but it works with a large space. It brings everything in ever so slightly and feels MUCH more comfortable. Like home.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:07 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
very nice choice on the paint......got a question though. Are you planning on doing anything over the loveseat? Theres too much negative space there compared to the rest of the rooms.
(Sorry, interior designer here with not enough work and too much time)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating