Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 01:56 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,425,771 times

Advertisements

This is the window in our dining room. It's a long rectangular room. We have this window in the middle of the room, a single window in the living room at the far end, a large plate glass window in the front door that has the blinds between the glass, and two very tiny windows in the kitchen, directly across from the front door. The floors are a dark wood. The walls had been dark wood, but they've been painted. Before putting the house up for sale I plan on painting the walls a khaki color and off white trim. The bookcases that line this window will be the off white trim as well. Looking to go just a single shade lighter than the khaki for the ceiling since we've got low ceilings.

Because we get little light through those front windows and door, and no light through the kitchen windows, the rooms stays dark most of the day. When we get ready to sell the house, I want to let as much light in as possible so it doesn't look dark and depressing. I've got nice curtains that hang over this window, but it blocks so much light that I don't want to put them back up. I'm thinking maybe installing blinds inside the window ledge with a single valance running across the top. Is there a better look that anyone can come up with? It's a very rural area, all farming community, with 100 year old farmhouses, so it's not a city type area. I'd like to keep it simple so it still fits in the area we're in.

Picture isn't great. Hard to get a picture of the area with light coming through a window that's in a dark room. The fitness stuff will be moved BTW, as will the bench with the workout mats and free weights, the bench in front of the window, etc., and we'll be replacing the ceiling fan and light that hangs over that area.
Attached Thumbnails
Small window, dark room - window treatment?-drwindow.bmp  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 02:05 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I'm thinking maybe installing blinds inside the window ledge with a single valance running across the top. Is there a better look that anyone can come up with? It's a very rural area, all farming community, with 100 year old farmhouses, so it's not a city type area. I'd like to keep it simple so it still fits in the area we're in.
I wouldn't put blinds and a valance on it. I'd put white cafe curtains.

You can't get more rural farmhouse than that. It will bring in lots of light too.

You can also consider white sheers or white lace that fit the size of the window.

I wouldn't put sheers to the floor for that window. We're talking rural farmhouse area here.

Anything with thin white material will look good.

Blinds aren't country. Plus, blinds can be rather expensive. It's a waste of money if you're selling the house.

Last edited by Hopes; 02-27-2011 at 02:13 PM..

Old 02-27-2011, 04:10 PM

Oh, that's easy!!! I'll stop in the store tomorrow and look at them and see what I can find! Thank you!

Old 02-27-2011, 04:46 PM

61,674 posts, read 87,060,489 times
This could be a perfect solution

Do all viewing appointments during a day and turn on all lights.
Good luck with your sale !

Old 02-27-2011, 06:20 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,683,373 times
We had a couple of solar tubes installed for about $400 each. Had made a HUGH difference in the house. Even puts moonlight in our windowless bathroom enough that we don't need to turn on the light for middle of the night use. ODL EZ10ECL 10 Tube and Dimmer Combo Kit / Asphalt Flashing

Old 02-27-2011, 10:25 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
The OP is selling the house, Squirl.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:12 PM

1,160 posts, read 4,244,790 times
Couple more tips. I imagine you're already going to do this, if I understood your post correctly, but be sure to paint every visible part of that window in the off-white trim color you have chosen, all the way out onto the sill that goes to the outside screen. Wash those windows several times, both sides. Then an instant light trick is to take the screen out of the window, put it in a convenient spot near the dining room, like in a cabinet in the kitchen, and label it. Taking the screen out lets in tons of light.

I do like the idea of dressing the window with a little white valance, hang it at least six inches higher than the window, with the bottom just barely into the window. If the bookshelves surrounding the window stick out a half foot or whatever on either side, you might get mirrors cut to size OR get peel and stick mirror, and attach it to the sides of the cases on either side of that window, it will make the windows seem larger, and of course create more light. If the the cases are floor to ceiling, cut the top of mirror off at the top of the valance and the bottom at the bottom of the sill casing.

Across from the window, put a real framed mirror on the wall, throws more light around. In a dark corner of the bookcase, stick in a mini-lamp, I always have a lamp on in my bookcases, and keep it turned on. And a ceiling light fixture that has reflective qualities will also help dress the room and reflect more light around... even just hanging bits of crystal off what you have hanging there will do the job. If you have furniture in the room when you sell, put a light colored runner the length of the table, or if no furniture, buy a cheap light-colored throw rug and put it in the middle of the room, will lighten up the floors a little.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:24 AM

I love that last photo. I like that idea. I stopped and look at the curtains yesterday but none really jumped out at me, so I'll hit the mall this weekend.

Thanks gigimac - great ideas! The sides of the bookcase are about 12 inches deep, so that should be enough room to run a mirror on each one. The other wall behind the bookcases is in the kitchen though - the far end of the kitchen! I think it's too far to put a mirror and get any benefit. As a matter of fact, directly across from there is the double windows in the kitchen. Tiny windows that sit way too low. I've got to replace those. Yuck!

The bookcases run across the top of the window though, so there's only about two inches of space between the top of the window and the bottom of the top shelf. So much for hanging a valance up there. *grumble* So I look for a super thin valance or go with only the cafe curtains? Or maybe something like the photos I've attached?

I'll see where I can put the screens. One of them is ripped and I need to get it fixed anyway. I got the windows cleaned last night and it does seem to have helped. I was surprised how dirty they were. They've been covered for so long I didn't really pay much attention to them.
Attached Thumbnails
Small window, dark room - window treatment?-curtains1.jpg   Small window, dark room - window treatment?-curtains2.jpg  

Old 03-02-2011, 03:48 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,349,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I love that last photo. I like that idea. I stopped and look at the curtains yesterday but none really jumped out at me, so I'll hit the mall this weekend.
You can order them online.

Windsor Heritage Lace Curtains

Old 10-25-2011, 03:31 AM

1 posts, read 5,364 times
I'd go for sheer curtains, anything else will only make the room darker. Go to [URL]http://www.modern-window-treatments.com[/URL] for more legit ideas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating