Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 05:57 PM

858 posts, read 1,145,291 times

Advertisements

I came across a couple of websites that offer free shipping for online furniture purchases. Is purchasing furniture online a good idea or bad idea? I'm kinda hesistant to go this route without actually seeing them in person. Anyone have some good or bad experiences shopping this way? If you recommend any websites that you've had success with please post. The positive part in going this way is the selection is way better than having to go to maybe 4 or 5 furniture stores. I'm interested in dining, living, bedroom, and rugs. More into a contemporary look but I am open to anything. Anyone who has done this any feedback would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 01:18 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Shipping damage has been my only problem. I make sure to note structure,measurements and reviews on any website.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:41 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,859,938 times
I ordered my kids' bunkbeds from an online store. I had no problem at all, they are the best beds, so heavy, hardwood for half of what I'd pay in a store. My friend ordered her bedroom set online and one of the rails was crooked or something. I think they just send her a new one without her having to send it back. I also just ordered an entry bench from online. Again, no problem. I was a little hesitant, but we went for it and was fine. You can get some great deals online, but I can understand your hesitance.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
I ordered my kids' bunkbeds from an online store. I had no problem at all, they are the best beds, so heavy, hardwood for half of what I'd pay in a store. My friend ordered her bedroom set online and one of the rails was crooked or something. I think they just send her a new one without her having to send it back. I also just ordered an entry bench from online. Again, no problem. I was a little hesitant, but we went for it and was fine. You can get some great deals online, but I can understand your hesitance.
Yeah thats one of the things that caught my eye were the great deals. The selection is endless as well. I was on this rug website and I concluded that there were too many too chose from But certainly its worth taking a shot at, thank you

Old 12-07-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Shipping damage has been my only problem. I make sure to note structure,measurements and reviews on any website.
Good points. Thank you.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:59 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,270,863 times
Ive shopped for furniture online several times in the past few months. Ive
had a couple duds. Other than that its been a good experience. I second
making sure the measurments are given,and free shipping. Otherwise its
a no deal for me. I wouldnt shop for sofas,chairs,or loveseats,etc because
I like to sit on them before I buy. But,dressers,tables,etc, yup.

Greenchili

Old 12-07-2008, 03:15 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
My only problem was damage in shipping. After the third time trying to order a headboard for my bed, we gave up and went to a furniture store instead. At least if they damage the furniture you won't have to wait 4 to 6 weeks for a replacement.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:21 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,990,141 times
I furnished my loft with online purchases. Mostly out of convenience (the maintanance staff of my building had to carry it all up!) but was pretty happy with my orders. I bought from Furniture - Home Decor - Wall Art | HomeDecorators.com and got a few sweet deals from the outlet site.

Best purchase was my livingroom set. I swear, I was shocked at how sturdy the furniture was. Higher quality than I could imagine for the price.

I also bought stuff from Crate and Barrel, West Elm and CB2 online....

I would do it again - but more for the deals and free shipping offers. Still looking for the right platform bed as I type this!

Old 12-07-2008, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,894 times
Shopping online has it's perks but it can be difficult because your basing your purchase off pictures and measurements; using a lot of visualization. Not the same as touching and feeling...but there our advantages, as the free shipping and convenience... we offer white glove delivery on large furniture orders, at no extra costs... So, really you want to do what your comfortable with and most online retailers will replace damaged goods, but unfortuately that process is quite long...

Good Luck and Happy Shopping...

EmShaw's Place at [url=http://www.inyourhomedecor.com]Modern, Contemporary furniture at www.inyourhomedecor.com.[/url]

Old 12-08-2008, 07:19 AM

1,294 posts, read 6,485,070 times
sometimes at places like pb, west elm, crate and barrel, if you go into the store they will have furniture in the back stock rooms marked wayyyy down. you just have to ask them right when you walk in if they have any marked down inventory (it's usually stuff that they have used on the floor or slightly dented or scratched). they are usually happy to clear their stock rooms if they have a lot back there.

my husband and i got furniture for our entire apartment for a little over $1300 at west elm (not the BEST quality, but good enough). couch, chair, coffee table, bed, headboard, dresser, nightstands, media console (only thing w/ a little scratch and they gave us some furniture paint to fix it), lamps, rugs, mirrors, other chairs, etc., etc.. it was crazy.

so definitely don't give up on the in store deals either. we did have to rent a truck ourselves and bring it all in. that was no fun, but the couch alone regulary priced was $2000 so we didn't mind...haha. we kind of felt like we robbed them afterwards, and our living room does look like a west elm show room, but we only needed furniture for a yearish so we were looking for something inexpensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating