Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 03:03 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
How, then do you explain Crocs???

Trendy, maybe. A big seller, definitely. Stylish? Never in a million years.
LOL, my feet would have to be cold and dead!!!!!!!!
Which brings me to this.....I am sure I am going to get busted for this......but the kitchen( Ina's) that StarryEyed posted is very cold and sterile. That same look cycled in about a decade ago, and cycled out pretty quickly.
And is it just me, but who in their right mind would put a lamp with a fabric shade on an island?

Old 10-19-2009, 10:43 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
So I had HGTV on yesterday in the semi-background while doing the usual Sunday laundry and housecleaning, and they were doing some sort of 'Top 20 Tips to Sell Your Home' show. I was much amused and immediately thought of this thread when they had one of their stable of real estate agents talking about how a) you are not going to get a 100% return on a full kitchen remodel if you turn around and put it on the market in most cases these days and b) instead you should freshen up old 60-80s cabinets by giving them a nice coat of paint because it was a cheap update, and all the while 3 of the 4 visual examples they used for painted cabinets were white/very light off white.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:45 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
So I had HGTV on yesterday in the semi-background while doing the usual Sunday laundry and housecleaning, and they were doing some sort of 'Top 20 Tips to Sell Your Home' show. I was much amused and immediately thought of this thread when they had one of their stable of real estate agents talking about how a) you are not going to get a 100% return on a full kitchen remodel if you turn around and put it on the market in most cases these days and b) instead you should freshen up old 60-80s cabinets by giving them a nice coat of paint because it was a cheap update, and all the while 3 of the 4 visual examples they used for painted cabinets were white/very light off white.
But that doesn't mean they're stylish. It just means that they're popular and people like them and that they give a kitchen an updated look. But never confuse those qualities with something being stylish.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
LOL, my feet would have to be cold and dead!!!!!!!!
Which brings me to this.....I am sure I am going to get busted for this......but the kitchen( Ina's) that StarryEyed posted is very cold and sterile. That same look cycled in about a decade ago, and cycled out pretty quickly.
And is it just me, but who in their right mind would put a lamp with a fabric shade on an island?
Never mind the fabric shade--what's with the tree trimmings in the vase?

Old 10-19-2009, 01:53 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
what's with the tree trimmings in the vase?
Ha! I wasnt even gonna go there!!!!!!

Old 10-19-2009, 02:52 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
But that doesn't mean they're stylish. It just means that they're popular and people like them and that they give a kitchen an updated look. But never confuse those qualities with something being stylish.
Who determines what is stylish then??? Is it some obscure designer in New York, Paris or London? Or is the people that actually dish out their hard earned money for the kitchen they want? To often designers are more interested in doing what is the latest "style" and not what is timeless or what their clients want. I cring at some of the "stylish" things I see, knowing that they will be dated shortly. JMHO, Jay

Old 10-19-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Who determines what is stylish then??? Is it some obscure designer in New York, Paris or London? Or is the people that actually dish out their hard earned money for the kitchen they want? To often designers are more interested in doing what is the latest "style" and not what is timeless or what their clients want. I cring at some of the "stylish" things I see, knowing that they will be dated shortly. JMHO, Jay
I was being sarcastic--sorry that didn't come across. One of the problems with "chatting" while not in the same room!

Old 10-19-2009, 04:02 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I like white cabinets.
me too!! Love em!

Old 10-19-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Not all cabinets in Florida that are white are "particle board" or "slapped on with paint". Keep looking for white, Waldo White cabinets are stylish. I think arguing about it is dead.
agree
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
I don't think it's so much what you say, desert, it's how you say it and continue to say the same things when we've basically proven that white is very much in style.
totally!!!!

Old 10-19-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
White cabinets never go out of style. If you get bored with your kitchen all it takes is a fresh new color on the walls and the cabinets will always match!
exactly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
desertsun41 - why oh why do you take this so personally. It is like you are on a mission to destroy all white kitchens and you will not rest until they are obliterated from the face of the earth. Your experience is that they don't sell well. OK, fine. But honestly, some people still like them and they can be updated despite the fact that you don't care for them. Do some people feel strongly against them? Sure, but so what? Truly, why is this such a big deal to anyone on either side? If you don't like them, don't get them or tear them out, whatever. If you like them keep them. It's kitchen cabinets folks. That's it, KITCHEN CABINETS....relax.
good points
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I love white cabinets too. My kitchen currently has white cabinets and when I upgrade them, the new ones will be white as well.
me too!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post

beautiful!!! Gorgeous kitchen.........the white cabinetry is stunning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating