Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 10:47 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,347,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Who determines what is stylish then??? Is it some obscure designer in New York, Paris or London? Or is the people that actually dish out their hard earned money for the kitchen they want? To often designers are more interested in doing what is the latest "style" and not what is timeless or what their clients want. I cring at some of the "stylish" things I see, knowing that they will be dated shortly. JMHO, Jay

You ask a great question, and I really don't know how to answer it.

It's a different answer for different people. For me, when I think about style and interior design, I really like to look at what lasts and looks current for the longest amount of time. I don't know how many designers I've heard say this, but a white shaker cabinet is utterly timeless. It looks good in any type of home with any design style.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:03 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Who determines what is stylish then??? Is it some obscure designer in New York, Paris or London? Or is the people that actually dish out their hard earned money for the kitchen they want? To often designers are more interested in doing what is the latest "style" and not what is timeless or what their clients want. I cring at some of the "stylish" things I see, knowing that they will be dated shortly. JMHO, Jay
Well, if you go by what has been posted on the last page of this thread... apparently both "average Joe's" and House Beautiful both consider them to be stylish... which is why I figured this thread was done with. Someone's personal opinion may be to not like a tree branch in a vase (which I've seen done MANY times, and usually done very nicely - ever walk through a Pier One Imports?), but that doesn't make it not stylish. I think some people here are just in denial over that.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:49 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,900 times
This month's Better Homes and Gardens magazine has another architect's house featured. The kitchen of the architect's house has.... WHITE CABINETS.

But,... of course that's just another misinformed design professional.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:11 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
You ask a great question, and I really don't know how to answer it.

It's a different answer for different people. For me, when I think about style and interior design, I really like to look at what lasts and looks current for the longest amount of time. I don't know how many designers I've heard say this, but a white shaker cabinet is utterly timeless. It looks good in any type of home with any design style.
I have White shaker cabinets and totally agree. The shaker design could actually look good in any color - but for me they have to be WHITE

Old 10-20-2009, 10:28 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,595,060 times
Moral of the "Are white cabinets ever stylish??" thread to me are: Honestly, why let one person's opine on the internet, affect yourself to the point of getting upset. White kitchens can be beautiful and everything old becomes new again...so it is only a matter of time before they become trendy for the average Joe again.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:34 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
Moral of the "Are white cabinets ever stylish??" thread to me are: Honestly, why let one person's opine on the internet, affect yourself to the point of getting upset. White kitchens can be beautiful and everything old becomes new again...so it is only a matter of time before they become trendy for the average Joe again.

Aha......so, the original question was "Are White Cabinets Ever Stylish?". I think that the question has been answered effectively, right? Even though some folks do not think so.... some DO think so....that means that white cabinets ARE considered to be stylish, but that doesn't mean that everyone likes them. It's strictly a matter of personal preference. In my opinion, if it's stylish to YOU then it's stlyish! If something is butt ugly and I can't stand it, it is certainly not "stylish" to me, but to someone else, it could be their very interpretation of stylish. Did I actually answer a question?...or simply confound the situation further?

Old 10-21-2009, 02:04 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Aha......so, the original question was "Are White Cabinets Ever Stylish?". I think that the question has been answered effectively, right? Even though some folks do not think so.... some DO think so....that means that white cabinets ARE considered to be stylish, but that doesn't mean that everyone likes them. It's strictly a matter of personal preference. In my opinion, if it's stylish to YOU then it's stlyish! If something is butt ugly and I can't stand it, it is certainly not "stylish" to me, but to someone else, it could be their very interpretation of stylish. Did I actually answer a question?...or simply confound the situation further?
stir that pot, mel!

Old 10-23-2009, 01:45 PM

3 posts, read 7,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Then again there are a lot of spiteful argumentative people around.
how ironic you write this...

Old 10-27-2009, 07:41 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,167,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
I totally agree. I wonder what client who bought white cabinets burned him?? He has an almost obsessive dislike of them. WhiteCabinetaphobia..LOL And yes I am picking on you Desert..hehehe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating