Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 09:42 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times

Advertisements

This thread got a little sideways-
I'll try to keep direction of OP- Here's my post from another thread:

As a builder- I didn't advertise or even use the word "gourmet". They were large and functional. And since I used an appliance allowance- I guess the buyer could call it gourmet if it's S/S, granite, etc.
My take on a "gourmet kitchen" goes something like this:
12X16' minimum.
Cabinets: Base cabinets have full extension pull-out shelving, Wall cabinets don't necessary have to be 42" (depends on ceiling hgt.) but they should be well placed- with appropriate sizes in the right places (example; don't have 9-12" cabinets directly above the dishwasher- you don't want to carry plates half way across the kitchen). Decorative doors (glass/open) are for decorative areas- Kitchens are for function! Islands (other base cabinets) should have at least two different level. One is std. counter hgt.- the other kneading hgt. The third level, if so desired would be bar hgt. for a tasting/ breakfast bar. This "bar" would be contained within the kitchen- not a physical barrier that defines the kichen.
Counter tops should be both function and decorative. Main work stations should be S/S while all other areas can be granite, quartz, solid surface, or marble.
Appliances: Don't necessary have to be commercial grade but, should function or have similar features. I also like to use a lot of ergonomics in the design. For instance, I dislike ovens in ranges and base cabinets. I also dislike (conventional) double ovens. If there is to be two ovens- I like to see single wall ovens (bottom at approx 32" AFF) flanking a microwave and warming drawer. A cooktop is gas fueled- no if's, and's, or but's about it! There should be a minimum of five burners with one that has a BTU rating required for a wok. Dishwashers; normally I'd say two, flanking each side of the main sink. But with the newer drawer washer- you may want to go with one regular D/W and two drawer types. The mix allows you to use only the amount of D/W you actually need.
Now, refrigeration. For a true "gourmet" kitchen the "big-honkin'" Sub-Zero is out- Component "systems" are in. A refrigeration unit is flanked by base cabinetry, and the freezer unit is flanked as well. Between them in the base cabinetry could be an ice maker and a winecooler or beverage cooler. The main work station or a secondary work station should have a refrigeration drawer.
Other areas/ things of interest:
Main work station- prep sink with disposal. Main sink should be deep-trough commercial-type in S/S. The cooktop area should have an overhead venthood with a remote fan (keeps the noise down), it should also have a pot filler fauset. A trash compactor can be a nice feature and/or a built-in recycling center.
Another key "ingredient" to this recipe (sorry, I couldn't resist) is lighting. I prefer all ceiling lighting to be recessed, in either line voltage hallogen, low voltage hallogen, or CFL. Flush mounts, semi-flush mounts and track systems will get dirty and dusty- too much up-keep. Also undercabinet lighting (wherever there's wall cabinet, and base cabinet below), you want the brightest possible lighting you can get for these areas- especially if they are considered work areas/stations. All should be line voltage, or dimable low voltage or CFL.
And probably not the last- but just as important as everything else- the pantry. I prefer an actual "walk-in pantry", galley style with wood shelving on both sides that starts from 18" AFF and goes to about 18" from the ceiling. And its all adjustable.

A couple of other notes- You'll probably start to see more "color" choices in appliances- Those colors that are showing up on W/D sets will find their way on to kitchen appliances as well. Look at Viking's line.
A more typical kitchen (other than the one I described above) will be more multi-functional- it will be more than a kitchen than ever before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 08:29 AM

1 posts, read 4,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
It seems that many people have hopped on the stainless steel and granite bandwagon which could mean that its days are numbered. What do you think the next big trend will be in kitchens? A different counter surface material? Will granite and stainless survive the test of time and end up being timeless, like hardwood floors?

I am thinking of a big kitchen overhaul in the next couple of years and it is fun to see what is out there and where these designs are going.
Induction cooktops are gaining ground as the number one choice with even some converts from gas. You can find out more at [url=http://www.induction-cooktop.com]Induction Cooktops[/url]

Old 10-21-2008, 07:33 AM
aeh

318 posts, read 1,621,878 times
I am wondering if anyone has personal experience with honed granite countertops. I know it's becoming a big trend, and I love the matte look of them yet but with still some pattern in it. However, I have heard they aren't as stain resistant as polished granite, which is what you see everywhere.

Has anyone had any experience with this? One of the previous posters put up a pic of her brother's kitchen with the honed granite (I have heard absolute black granite honed is the worst--is this true?--that you can see every wipe, every fingerprint?).

I am debating the cream cabinets with a cream and brown speckled countertop (such as Cupa Gold, St Ceclia Light, etc) and creamy travertine floors with a stone wall(I am very partial to stone!).

Or going with my old standby of slate on the floor (it is actually quite comfortable) and slate on the wall (cut like brick) behind the cream cabinets with a dark granite. I will try to attach a pic of my previous kitchen, if I can figure out how. I wanted to go with wood floors but this is our main entry to and from the pool and I need a stone type floor where the finish won't get ruined. Oh, and the other thing I was going to do differently than the kitchen I am going to post is that there will also be a tan, kind of rounded stone on one of the exterior walls as well as the slate (cut like brick) on the adjoining wall.

Obviously, one choice is much darker (but to me, a bit more charming and full of character) even though I love the lighter look too, but...

Either way we will have integrated panels on the two dishwashers. Oh and the other difference from the picture is that we will have two copper sinks in there.

So differences are : all cream cabinets, integrated cabinet panel on fridge and dishwashers to match cream cabinets, one wall will be a tan kind of rounded stone, which will adjoin the slate/brick like wall, slate on floor will be cut like brick as well and in a herringbone pattern whereas on the wall it will be running bond (offset-as on wall in pic)...

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
What will the next kitchen design trend be?-kitchen-1.jpg   What will the next kitchen design trend be?-kitchen-3.jpg  

Old 10-22-2008, 11:29 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,115,048 times
So many great responses in this thread, also great links and ideas!

I find that folks we build for are kitchen trending toward the following:

Black appliances...gravitating away from stainless, very rarely white...almost always a smooth top stove. Those new washer/dryer combos are popular and space saving.

Gooseneck Faucets...every homeowner we are building for has requested them...and the finish that seems to win is Oil Rubbed Bronze

We see a lot of granite and formica being chosen for countertops...budget dependant

We are also seeing hardwood being chosen for the kitchen floor.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:28 PM

24 posts, read 87,362 times
Default wood is next

I think we'll see a reversal in surfaces. Stone/Tile floors and butcher block/wood counters. either that or a shift towards recycled & sustainable materials.

i've never liked the look of stainless. feels to industrial and commercial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating