U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 12:55 AM

6 posts, read 41,726 times

Advertisements

I just purchased a never-been-updated 1950s built home. Everything in it needs an overhaul, but I need to spread the projects out for financial reasons. After all, I am still trying to eat! I'm going to be doing the kitchen as the first big project. But the bathroom also needs to be done.

As it is right now, I cannot live with the bathroom the way it is, but cannot spend the money on a complete remodel. What I really would like to do is fix the color scheme and if possible find some affordable fix for the floor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1902.jpg
Views:	21284
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	35032

Name:	CIMG1915.jpg
Views:	28943
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	35033

Name:	CIMG1914.jpg
Views:	6636
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	35034

I am not going to replace the existing wall tiles at this time because it would just be too much. So, that leaves me with some really retro looking salmon/peach tiles. What colors can I change the walls, ceiling, vanity etc to in order for it to be soothing to the eye?? Pepto and salmon is just NOT working for me! Then, what colors can I use as accents in the towels, curtain etc for continuity?

I appreciate any help offered! Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 01:06 AM

15,849 posts, read 32,083,376 times
OMG I would KILL for a house in authentic retro 1950s decor! I can't believe you would want to turn it into a house that looks like everybody else's house.

My mother in law has a pink bathroom and I about cried when she had to get rid of her pink toilet because it broke and she could not find a replacement!

You know the world stinks when you can't even buy a pink toilet when you want one.

I'd leave it just exactly the way it is!

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-28-2009, 01:18 AM

6 posts, read 41,726 times
I'm not sure if you're being serious...

I'm also not sure if you can understand the severity of the nausea this bathroom causes when you're in it. Let me repeat... pepto and salmon. They don't mix!

Old 01-28-2009, 06:35 AM

41,313 posts, read 41,400,392 times
Get rid of the pink. The tile looks to be peachy with black? New scounces, new mirror, new paint and accessories.

What about the vanity? I see you posted a pic - new vanity and sink or at the very least a new counter and paint the vanity.

The tile looks good - I would consider keeping that and work/coordinate the color.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:28 AM

1,802 posts, read 7,650,108 times
Ditto on keeping the tile - it looks in good shape and I don't even mind the color. I actually love the floors. I say go with the retro look that the room was meant for. Get rid of the vanity and find a sink that fits in with the 50's look. Defnitely get rid of the pink walls and toilet seat, as well as the towels and shower curtain, etc. I'm not sure I'd compete with the color of the tile for wall color. Maybe just a neutral beigy color. I'm not very creative when it comes to color, but maybe some other folks have some ideas.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:54 AM

7,751 posts, read 12,251,037 times
Three possibles to go with the salmon:
pale pearl gray
sage green
gray blue

On the vanity, can you pry off the trim and change it to a simpler rectangle, paint over and update knobs.
Also, some say tile reglazing is an option- opinions as to how long it lasts are mixed- anyone done it?

Old 01-28-2009, 08:16 AM

3,131 posts, read 10,857,918 times
I would go with a light colored wall that has only a hint of the salmon color. I could not really tell the color of the floor, but it certainly has interest. You could accent with a sage green towel scheme. You could look for a shower curtain that has a beach feel to it, with some pattern etc. it would blend well with the salmon color of the tile. If you find this shower curtain, you could then accent with whatever colors are in the curtain..again, probably a sage green or a watery, ocean blue.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:20 AM

12,639 posts, read 14,245,935 times
Paint and some accessories will go a looooong way with this room.
Maybe upgrade the vanity. The tub layout is excellent. Use it to your advantage, the curved shower rod is a hot style these days. For only a few hundred dollars you can really make this room come alive.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:37 AM

5,739 posts, read 10,639,791 times
Looks as though you could have some fun with this bathroom.

I agree, paint the walls the lightest shade of salmon, maybe paint the vanity the same tone, too.

Frame some art (retro 50's magazine covers?) in modern black frames, maybe matted in salmon, but use all the same black frames to pick up the black tile accents. Same with a new mirror, framed in black.

If you could find some 50's-look tropical print fabric (salmon, corals and greens), you could sew, or have sewn a shower curtain and window curtains or a Roman shade.

Towels in light salmon, cream and black--your 50's bathroom would look truly spiffy, I would imagine.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:39 AM

359 posts, read 1,052,992 times
you can also paint the tile if you really can't live with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating