Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 09:34 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,985,295 times

Advertisements

I have boxes of antique linens. Most were from family and many are embroidered with family initials and monograms that no longer apply - but since they were family items, they are important to me. I have a variety of pillow cases, table clothes, and more. Most are white and white on white. I'd love to use them as decorative items but many are stained. The linens have been poorly stored for many years in cardboard boxes and have brown stains from the cardboard. I've tried washing a few items but the stains won't budge. I've even tried bleach on a few items. The bleach helped a bit but it didn't get the stains out and I know the bleach is dangerous for such old and fragile material.

Does anyone know a magic solution to remove the stains?
I've considered dyeing some items to cover up the stains. Any ideas about this notion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 06:57 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
Sometimes white vinegar will restore a fabric to its original color. I used it on some old garments that had underarm stains (I know, kinda grose), but the white vinegar somehow restored those spots back to their original color (a dark blue).

Old 02-01-2009, 07:42 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I have been a dealer of antique textiles, and have had good luck getting rid of overall yellowing in white textiles with denture cleaner. Take about 6 capfuls of a powdered denture cleaner and dissolve in a basin of very hot water. Let the linens soak for 1-2 hours, I think the stuff loses it's pow after that, rinse thoroughly. I think you could also safely use Oxyclean for laundry with hot water.
If these stains are tannin stains from the cardboard, do not use soap on it because it will set the stains.
Perhaps a product which removes rust and yellowing (Yellow out, Rust out) would work, but don't use these except as a last resort. They are very hard on fabrics.
I think if you dyed them, the stained areas would still remain darker than the other areas.
You might also run it past a good drycleaner. They might have some magic potion that would work.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:47 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Sometimes white vinegar will restore a fabric to its original color. I used it on some old garments that had underarm stains (I know, kinda grose), but the white vinegar somehow restored those spots back to their original color (a dark blue).
I doubt this. Vinegar is a mordant. It SETS dye and I would not use it for fear that it would set the stains worse than they already are, especially if the stains are organic.

20yrsinbranson

Old 02-01-2009, 07:49 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Lemon juice squeezed on the spot and drying in the sun has worked for me several times.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:01 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
I stumbled across a stain-removal technique that you might want to try (if lemon juice or the denture tabs don't work).

Spray enzymatic pet-stain remover (e.g. Simple Solution, Nature's Miracle) on the spot. Sprinkle a bit of oxygen bleach (e.g. Oxyclean) and make a "paste". I just let this mixture "set" for about 5 minutes and then wash as usual.

I'd test this on a small spot on an article that does not hold great sentimental value first.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:24 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,348,325 times
Google "antique linen care" and you'll get lots of tips from dealers and collectors, including an ebay page full of guides.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:56 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I doubt this. Vinegar is a mordant. It SETS dye and I would not use it for fear that it would set the stains worse than they already are, especially if the stains are organic.

20yrsinbranson
I think that's why in some instances vinegar does work. If the "blemish" on the fabric hasn't actually altered the original color dye (stains such as grass stains, perspiration, leeching from cardboard and paper), the vinegar "eats" through the stain, arrives at the original dye, and resets it. The dark blue garment that I restored was a synthetic fabric and the vinegar truly did get rid of the underarm stains. Vinegar will not work on "blemishes" that have changed the original color (such as bleach spots or other chemical-based stains that have reacted with the fabric and altered the color.)

(As I struggled through high school chemistry, my parents always told me I would need it someday ... as always, my parents were right :-)

Old 02-02-2009, 07:25 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I've soaked stained linens in powdered dishwasher detergent with some success. Good luck!

Old 02-05-2009, 03:09 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times
Im not a textile dealer but I do have a few. Ive tried all of tghe above at one time or the other. Different thngs work on different stains and fabrics.

Dont try any of the above stuff if you have a valuable or really sentimental piece. Take it to a professional. On the other hand not all old textiles are valuable. Dont forget everybody did them . It was the in thing.
Also dying adds color. It wont cover up anything.

DO NOT do this unless all else has failed and your piece is unsalvageable. I have "salvaged" linens and crochet items like doilies and dresser scarves by painting them with fabric paint. I soak in water, lay them out on a smooth flat surface, sponge on fabric paint, then let them dry in place. If you get a mottled effect keep repeating until you have complete coverage. If you do a color instead of white it can look amost tie dyed. Wash as usual. If It fades just do it again.

On some really stained pieces I have taken them outside and used spray paint or even soaked them in house paint. Be aware this will make them stiff so make sure they dry flat or drape them over a bowl or whatever. I tend to repurpose stuff so this may not be to everyones liking. I also like seasonal stuff so I do things like paint some black for spider webs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating