Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 08:08 PM

948 posts, read 3,355,361 times

Advertisements

When you open the door to my home there is a foyer maybe 10x 5, the family room is to the left with a small hall to get there. Directly to the right is the opening to the dining room. Currently the opening is only 3 feet wide. We want to enlarge it but wondering how to figure out how wide to go? The other end of the dining room has an entryway to the kitchen which seems to be standard size (don't know the measurement)

Is there a standard size for the dining room entryway? We have a colonial home, but it's very open and large. Any input? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 10:41 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
When you open the door to my home there is a foyer maybe 10x 5, the family room is to the left with a small hall to get there. Directly to the right is the opening to the dining room. Currently the opening is only 3 feet wide. We want to enlarge it but wondering how to figure out how wide to go? The other end of the dining room has an entryway to the kitchen which seems to be standard size (don't know the measurement)

Is there a standard size for the dining room entryway? We have a colonial home, but it's very open and large. Any input? Thank you!
It's not really called standard sizes. It goes by local adopted codes. Code will dictate what you can and cant do. Front entrances must be a minimum of 36". Rear must be a minimum of 34". Interior bedroom doors must be a minimum of 30". Bathroom and closet doors must be a minimum of 24". Leeway is given to some pantry or linin closet doors that can be as small as 18". Height on any door will always be 6' 8".

That being said, if you want to make a wider front entryway, you can space permitting. There is no such thing as a single door bigger then 36". So after that you are talking a twin door. The smallest twin exterior door would be twin 24"ers making a 4' total opening. From there every size will be special order with a long lead time till you get to the next standard twin door size of 5' which of course is twin 30" doors. From there you have 6' which is twin 36'ers.

By the way, a 4' opening might not be permissable in some areas. Some people might not find squeezing through a 24" opening comfortable since one door will be fixed by way of bar slide locks. These slide bar locks can be unlocked to open both doors at once but is not convenient at all.

Hope that helps.......

Old 02-04-2009, 10:44 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
There is no standard size. In a true colonial home there were usaully doors between rooms so the 3' sounds right. If you want it more open, maybe just widen it to 6 foot and use double doors (or not). Or do a wiser opening with a set of whatever columns suit the house set inside the opening (wide center opening flanked by columns and smaller side openings.) While 6' does not sound large it would make a big diference and still allow the rooms to feel separate for decorating purposed.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:48 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
All openings are of standard size.
Doesn't matter if it's a cased opening or a door.
Door sizes (single hung) are usually called in ft/in, i.e.; 2/0, 2/4, 2/6, 2/8, 3/0.
Double hung doors are usually called by individual door size, i.e.; 2/6DH (which is a 5' opening) or 3/0DH (which is a 6' opening).
To the question at hand- MrP is correct from a historical standpoint.
How old is the house? Is it a true colonial, or colonial from an architectual standpoint?
Anyway, you could make the opening any width you like (personal prefrence). But remember, if that wall is a load bearing wall you may want to have a structural engineer look at the situation so you use the correct materials to support the open span above and below.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
There is no standard size. In a true colonial home there were usaully doors between rooms so the 3' sounds right. If you want it more open, maybe just widen it to 6 foot and use double doors (or not). Or do a wiser opening with a set of whatever columns suit the house set inside the opening (wide center opening flanked by columns and smaller side openings.) While 6' does not sound large it would make a big diference and still allow the rooms to feel separate for decorating purposed.
Why would you lie like that? Or do you just not know but feel like helping despite giving bad information. You think there is no standard size huh. If you would like I can copy and past the paragraph directly from BOCA, DPS or ICC code book. Better yet, go look it up yourself before posting bad information that could hurt others and cause them financial hardship.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:07 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
Desert- to what honor do I owe this cyber-mugging? The OP had an opening of 3 feet. That is wide enough to be a hallway and they want to widen it. Did you actually read my post??? I suggested how to make it even wider in an appropriate manner. How in the blue heck would this be against code? And there are minimum sizes to openings not maximums so maybe you should take your own advice and read up on codes. And a tip- for 95% of residences you would be looking in the IRC.

By the way- there is no standard size for an opening in terms of how they are built as long as they meet code- and if it’s already built it’s grandfathered in. There are standard sizes for manufactured doors but you build and trim an opening. You do not order or install one. Furthermore- the OP stated this was an opening from a dining room to a foyer- why did you blather on about exterior doors??? And why would someone not be allowed to have an opening wider than 4 feet? That is absolutely ridiculous.

After seeing your BS answers on cabinetry questions, your asinine thoughts on structural matters and the fact that you do not understand the difference between brick veneer and face brick I am highly insulted. I have politely ignored 90% of your incorrect recommendations. I am an architect in Charleston, South Carolina and can assure you that I have dealt with codes, true colonial homes (typically Georgian) and questions about remodeling to an extent you will never comprehend. Next time you try to earn cool points by being a condescending jerk- please do so in an area you understand.

And by the way 3' is absolutely not the widest width for a single door. You might have to special order or find an up-market line for a large one but a 'high-end' designer such as you should realize that.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Desert- to what honor do I owe this cyber-mugging? The OP had an opening of 3 feet. That is wide enough to be a hallway and they want to widen it. Did you actually read my post??? I suggested how to make it even wider in an appropriate manner. How in the blue heck would this be against code? And there are minimum sizes to openings not maximums so maybe you should take your own advice and read up on codes. And a tip- for 95% of residences you would be looking in the IRC.

By the way- there is no standard size for an opening in terms of how they are built as long as they meet code- and if it’s already built it’s grandfathered in. There are standard sizes for manufactured doors but you build and trim an opening. You do not order or install one. Furthermore- the OP stated this was an opening from a dining room to a foyer- why did you blather on about exterior doors??? And why would someone not be allowed to have an opening wider than 4 feet? That is absolutely ridiculous.

After seeing your BS answers on cabinetry questions, your asinine thoughts on structural matters and the fact that you do not understand the difference between brick veneer and face brick I am highly insulted. I have politely ignored 90% of your incorrect recommendations. I am an architect in Charleston, South Carolina and can assure you that I have dealt with codes, true colonial homes (typically Georgian) and questions about remodeling to an extent you will never comprehend. Next time you try to earn cool points by being a condescending jerk- please do so in an area you understand.

And by the way 3' is absolutely not the widest width for a single door. You might have to special order or find an up-market line for a large one but a 'high-end' designer such as you should realize that.
I was going to say I misunderstood your post, I did to some degree. You just did a lousy job of explaining which caused me to answer you that way. Then came the personal attacks. It is you who are unprofessional and without knowledge. My advice is expert due to more years experience then you were even alive.

If you dont like my expert unbiased advice then dont read it. So many others do and thank me for the time I put forth to help. To that personal satisfaction alone I need say no more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating