Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 12:00 AM

4 posts, read 51,914 times

Advertisements

Don't buy a thing until you check out Lowe's Valspar "Color Trends" brochure & Home Depot's Olympic "Inspired Collection" Behr also has many exciting paint colors to choose from.
Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 10:30 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoPaint View Post
Don't buy a thing until you check out Lowe's Valspar "Color Trends" brochure & Home Depot's Olympic "Inspired Collection" Behr also has many exciting paint colors to choose from.
Good Luck!
Thanks! Used Valspar at the old house and was very pleased with it...I'll look into Olympic...I hate Behr from HD though. Worst paint I ever used!

Old 03-17-2009, 02:34 PM

6 posts, read 44,492 times
my suggestion is that if you are not really sure, then goes with typical white or light yellow or blue. This worked for me and my friend as well

Old 03-19-2009, 12:23 AM

1,316 posts, read 2,464,083 times
I have the same color furniture as you and I painted my bedroom a very pale gold and it looked excellent. Reddish colors look great with golds and yellows. I did try a dark gold the first time and it looked terrible. The lighter gold was much better and complimented the furniture without dominating it.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:32 PM

jojo7, thanks for that tip...I am going to go with a gold color, so I will look for something lighter. Just saw in a Lowe's ad that I can get 8 oz sample cans for cheap, so I'll be getting a few soon!

Old 03-22-2009, 11:46 AM

681 posts, read 2,358,979 times
Another option would be to paint in a monochromatic burgundy, either in a lighter tint or deeper shade. It sounds like it would be overwhelming but the effect is calming because there isn't any dynanic interaction between colors. I moved into a house that has a rich red MBR, and I picked up a deep red comforter with gold trim to harmonize with the walls. It turned out great! We also have cherry wood and ivory carpet.

One other idea: Don't paint any shade that you're not in love with. Think about it like this: if you had to start from scratch and didn't have your gold/burgundy bedding, would you love gold walls? Or would you prefer other colors? If you happen to love golds, then you're on the right path. But if you usually are drawn to other colors, especially cool colors, then IMO it's best to back up and redirect your design. You don't have to work with your comforter if you aren't thrilled with the palette that goes with it.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittySkyfish View Post
Another option would be to paint in a monochromatic burgundy, either in a lighter tint or deeper shade. It sounds like it would be overwhelming but the effect is calming because there isn't any dynanic interaction between colors. I moved into a house that has a rich red MBR, and I picked up a deep red comforter with gold trim to harmonize with the walls. It turned out great! We also have cherry wood and ivory carpet.

One other idea: Don't paint any shade that you're not in love with. Think about it like this: if you had to start from scratch and didn't have your gold/burgundy bedding, would you love gold walls? Or would you prefer other colors? If you happen to love golds, then you're on the right path. But if you usually are drawn to other colors, especially cool colors, then IMO it's best to back up and redirect your design. You don't have to work with your comforter if you aren't thrilled with the palette that goes with it.
That's a good thought, too. I'll pick up some darker samples and see what it might look like.
I do prefer the golds and warmer colors, so the golds will go great too--I agree with what you said about changing your design if it's not what you're really into.
Thanks!

Old 03-22-2009, 12:13 PM

681 posts, read 2,358,979 times
Have fun experimenting! I keep a shopping bag full of swatches for when I'm in the mood to dream, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I would go with the gold because if you introduce too many colors they will be competing with your burgandy spread. You want something complimentary - not clashing. I would NOT do blue or mauve. Your spread already has gold in it, so a gold on your walls will complement the colors you already have in there.
Okay, I'm going to come off as a Ms. Picky Buns but complementary/complement is not used correctly here, lol. Sorry!

Often, when people use the word complementary with colors, they assume it means that the colors go together in a similar way. Like in your example, golds with similar golds. Actually, complements and complementary are technical terms that refer to opposite colors - those that have high contrast. The complement to gold is in the violet family. Red's complement is green.

It's helpful to remember this concept when you have to explain geometry or venn diagrams to kids because the term complementary is used in a similar fashion. Remember complementary angles and sets?

*steps off soapbox and backs away slowly* lol!

Old 03-27-2009, 03:07 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,088,493 times
A few thoughts:

In terms of design, 3 colors are typically used: a primary, secondary, and tertiary (Primary being the most dominant and so forth). Sounds like you've already got the three colors: burgundy, gold, ivory. So to choose something in the burgundy or gold family may work out.

Another idea: If you're not sure about the color, buy a quart and just paint one wall. Live with it for awhile, like a few weeks and see if you really LOVE it. That small paint chip/sample can be deceiving when thinking of such a large space.

I would definitely not use blue. You've got warm colors, blue is a cool color. Plus blue in a bedroom is depressing (think Picasso and his Blue Period). Reds are warm, cozy, and definitely more romantic although too much red can be overwhelming and may cause restlessness.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:17 PM

7 posts, read 19,872 times
Get bright color done on walls. Bright colors passes positive energy and make you energetic, this is what I personally feel.

You can get White, eco green, sky blue colors for walls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating