Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2009, 04:59 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,786 times

Advertisements

If you were looking for a home to buy, what kind of blinds would you like to see over another?
We know that we will be selling in about 3 years and I'm racking my brain between faux wood (maybe even a composite) and Bali 3/8 double cell cellular shades. What would you prefer?
I am open to other options except shutters. They are too much out of our budget.

Bali -Blinds & Shades | Cellular Shades | 3/8" Double Cell Cellular Shades
Bali -Blinds & Shades | Faux Wood Blinds | 2" Wood Images<sup>®</sup> Composite Blinds
Levolor Custom Size Now at Lowe's: 65" X 72" White Faux Wood Blind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 05:06 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
I like the cellular shades. Energy saving and sound dampening are good!

Old 03-11-2009, 06:08 PM

835 posts, read 3,977,494 times
I've always been partial to cellular shades. Keep the colors neutral so the potential buyers don't think - nice but we'll have to change them because of color.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:08 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,148,394 times
Believe it or not, I have all three! Faux wood 2" blinds in the bedrooms and bonus room (went with Blinds2You - about $75 per blind installed with a decorative valance), cellular shades in the dining room (can't remember that cost, but specialty sizes), and then went with dual-hung traditional composite shutters (from Lowes) in the living room.

Now, have you thought about mixing styles? Maybe going with the blinds in the bedrooms and the cellular shades in the rooms that are a bit more formal (living room, dining room, etc.). As a Realtor, I don't think it will make that much of a difference for resale. Just start a housebox (with all of your receipts and manuals) and leave all of the pertinent infomation for your buyer.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:31 PM

I have thought about mixing the blinds. Just now sure about where to put them. Its bad but, I want to get the stuff together for when we close on the house so we can put them up right after we close. Right now Bali blinds are 15% off at Lowes and I want to take advantage of that. Weird I know. lol.
I have started a book with all the receipts for the appliances and stuff like that.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:22 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
I really do prefer lined woven wood or bamboo roll-up shades over blinds- they add a richness and updated look to windows and look great alone or paired with drapery (from simple to luxurious drapery) - notice how many windows featured in beautiful high-end homes in magazines pair wood roll-ups with drapes - love that look. For energy saving, I prefer draperies with a double lining (inner felt lining) - I feel that they block out cold and heat better than anything....the combination of lined roll-ups and double lined drapery really does keep cold and heat at bay.

You can buy ready-made roll-ups at Lowe's and now they sell the do-it-yourself lining too. In our previous home I had custom woven wood shades that were lined and they were very expensive - you truly can duplicate that look with ready mades a fraction of the cost - especially if you wait until they are on sale....look for other stores that may have shades on sale and buy the lining from Lowes - very easy to add the lining and the installation of the shades is very easy.

Last edited by Cattknap; 03-11-2009 at 10:31 PM..

Old 03-12-2009, 05:39 AM

128 posts, read 1,070,639 times
Default Cellular & Wooden Blinds

I would opt for cellular shades and faux wooden ones for different rooms. Both kinds look great.

Cellular or Honeycomb window shades offer three distinct benefits to the home owner or apartment dweller: energy efficiency, improved privacy, and the stylish Top-Down, Bottom up feature.

The cell shade allows maximum efficiency in two ways. First, the shade filters the amount of light that comes into the room. As where opening a blind allows light to pour in and pound down on the room, these window shades illuminate the rooms with a soft, warm glow. Second, the cellular shades acts as an insulator.

Faux wood blinds give a natural appearance to any room, with their inviting style and warm design output. Faux wood blinds are as secure as traditional blinds and offer enhanced privacy. Being made in many colors, they can easily be introduced into any room's design to add flair and charm.

Jeanne

Old 03-12-2009, 07:29 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
We inherited a set of faux wood blinds in our house, and they're great. I don't know what brand they are, but they're good quality and very well constructed (The cheap real wood blinds I bought when we moved in haven't fared quite as well. ).

Whatever you buy, make sure it will last.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:32 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,644,298 times
we have the cellular shades throughout our house. we really like them. you can do a lot with valances, side panel curtains and other window treatments to really dress them up. As far as the faux wood blinds, it think it really depends on the type of house, the type of window trim that you have for woodwork. Also, can they be inside mount or outside mount! as far as the cellular blinds go, stick with neutral to get the biggest bang for your buck!

Old 03-12-2009, 07:55 AM

When we owned our first house, we wanted to eventually put cells in each room. We only did one and I was able to score a real wood blind for my kitchen window that matched my cabinets that a customer of mine cancelled the order when it was too late. Its times like this that I reallly miss working at lowes lol!
Part of me wants to put up some cheap temporary stuff and then make my decision when I get in. Another part of me wants to go ahead and get everything taken care of.
I'm starting to lean toward the 2" faux woods again, basically because of the style of house it is. Also because I can control the amount of light that comes in. The windows are a low e window already so there is some energy savings already there.
Then again, you can get the cellulars with the bottom up/top down feature. I may end up giving up and making some roman shades.

The window above the garage is the bonus room and the other two are my kids bedrooms. Before this summer we will be getting a double cell cellular shade for the arch.
What is wild is when you sell blinds for over 8 years and then it comes time for you to put them in your house, its not as easy and selling them. lol.
Thank you all for your opinions. They really are helping us to make a decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating