Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2009, 12:17 PM

275 posts, read 1,545,127 times

Advertisements

So we decided to be cheap and paint ourselves. it actually turned out pretty good BUT we have a two story foyer and although Dh did pretty good, he managed to get paint on the ceiling. He has the "brillant" idea of getting white paint on a small brush, put it on an extender pole, and do touch ups like that. Ummm, I'm not thinking that will work. Any suggestions here? Or do you know if professional painters will even come out to do touch up work? Anyway, I've attached a picture of the foyer so you can see the height we are working with.
Attached Thumbnails
Touching up hard to reach paint jobs-100_3032.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 06:26 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,983,217 times
It depends on how much of a touch-up job is needed. If it's a lot of tedious painting along the wall/ceiling line, then I don't think the brush-on-the-pole will work. The longer the distance between the hand and the brush will be less and less precise.

My question is - how did you paint the top part of the walls in that tall foyer anyway?

Again, depending on how much needs to be touched-up, I'd probably use an extension ladder with a brush in hand. It may mean a lot of up-n-down and ladder moving, but I think that would be the best solution.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:56 AM

128 posts, read 1,070,697 times
You should have probably gotten a ladder to easily reach that tall area. risking yourself isnt good at all. As an alternate hire some hands to do the job for you .

Jeanne

Old 03-31-2009, 11:25 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,120,172 times
get the ladder out again

Old 03-31-2009, 11:42 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,772,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Again, depending on how much needs to be touched-up, I'd probably use an extension ladder with a brush in hand. It may mean a lot of up-n-down and ladder moving, but I think that would be the best solution.
up-n-downs are probably unnecessary. You can actually get the ladder to "hop" about 4 inches at a time by performing a jumping motion while simultaneously pulling up and over. That way you don't have to continually climb up and down the ladder just to move three or four feet.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:21 PM

I guess the ladder it is again! Lucky for HIM, he doesn't have a lot to fix. To answer a question, he used a 10ft ladder and a pole extension to paint it in the first place. It was pretty tedious to begin with. Oh well.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:45 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,120,172 times
did he use the PaintMate? my house with a 20ft great room/foyer is 100% painted now using 2 PaintMates (i alternated for striped colored rooms) for 1.5 years. These things can reach about 10ft and I dont have to climb down the ladder to reload on paint

Old 04-05-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
did he use the PaintMate? my house with a 20ft great room/foyer is 100% painted now using 2 PaintMates (i alternated for striped colored rooms) for 1.5 years. These things can reach about 10ft and I dont have to climb down the ladder to reload on paint
No he didn't use that but it sounds like a good idea....after the fact! Lol. He use this attached thing, some kind of edger. The problem with this tool is that the paint would ooze out of the top and that is what created the mess on the ceilings.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:07 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,051,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
up-n-downs are probably unnecessary. You can actually get the ladder to "hop" about 4 inches at a time by performing a jumping motion while simultaneously pulling up and over. That way you don't have to continually climb up and down the ladder just to move three or four feet.

Don't do what jimboburnsy is telling you to do, unless you want to wind up in a hospital or even worse, wind up dead when you fall off the ladder.

Get your self an extension ladder with rubber mitts so that you don't markup the walls and touch up the ceiling.

busta

Old 05-08-2009, 10:19 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,397,001 times
Or why not hire a local painter to do the hard part. I did a huge painting job by myself a couple of years ago, but I had maybe a 30 foot area to reach. Since I don't do scaffolding (unless my dad'd helping and he's a professional) I hired a painter to do that last little section on the ceiling and walls. It beats dying or getting badly hurt. I think I spent a couple of hundred dollars. Primer and two coats and it should last for another 5-10 years. Now that business is hard to come by you might be able to get a good deal from guys who have the equipment and experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating