Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 10:10 PM

161 posts, read 568,190 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are in the process of purchasing a home from the 1870s--in terrific shape, well maintained, but the kitchen is not my style (doesn't suit the house either really). So I have been brainstorming ideas and I think I would like white beadboard cabinets, ECO countertops in Terra (a dark slate gray color with black and brown largish flecks), an antiqued copper farmhouse sink and a copper backsplash made by this company in TX called Marbelized Copper. The floors are a brickish terra cotta-ish tile and we are planning on keeping it.

As I want the copper to be the main metal, I am leaning against stainless. I know white appliances would blend in, but would it be too much white? Would black appliances look completely out of place or would they be in keeping with the countertop? The kitchen is a U shape; currently there is an old black double oven; a black cooktop; a newish black dishwasher, and a newish stainless/black trim fridge. Even if I stayed with black appliances I'd only keep the dishwasher as the other things are old and also small. The fridge is on the small side as well so we would probably need something bigger anyway (3 growing boys!).

I welcome all advice and opinions--thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 04:28 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,042,913 times
I like the idea of black appliances - ties the counter with its black specks to appliance color. I am not a fan of white appliances. I love the idea of a modern version of an older kitchen - something that is evocative of a 19th century kitchen but with a contemporary, clean lined feel.

On the other hand - white appliances would pretty much disappear next to your white cupboards - that actually might be a good thing and with 3 boys, much less maintenance than the black (but personally it would be no white appliances for me).

Ideally, if you have the funds and want a more historic feel, I'd think about custom white beadboard or framed out wood fronts for all the appliances.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Cattknap/beadboard.jpg (broken link)

I have no idea what the configuration of your kitchen is, but do consider a counter-depth fridge that does not stick out into the floor space - you can get 25 cf. - they are taller than regular fridges....a custom cabinet makes them look great.

Do you have pictures of your house?

Old 03-29-2009, 04:44 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,042,913 times
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Cattknap/beadboard2.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-29-2009, 08:34 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,641,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyhoneychurch View Post
Hi,

We are in the process of purchasing a home from the 1870s--in terrific shape, well maintained, but the kitchen is not my style (doesn't suit the house either really). So I have been brainstorming ideas and I think I would like white beadboard cabinets, ECO countertops in Terra (a dark slate gray color with black and brown largish flecks), an antiqued copper farmhouse sink and a copper backsplash made by this company in TX called Marbelized Copper. The floors are a brickish terra cotta-ish tile and we are planning on keeping it.

As I want the copper to be the main metal, I am leaning against stainless. I know white appliances would blend in, but would it be too much white? Would black appliances look completely out of place or would they be in keeping with the countertop? The kitchen is a U shape; currently there is an old black double oven; a black cooktop; a newish black dishwasher, and a newish stainless/black trim fridge. Even if I stayed with black appliances I'd only keep the dishwasher as the other things are old and also small. The fridge is on the small side as well so we would probably need something bigger anyway (3 growing boys!).

I welcome all advice and opinions--thanks in advance for your help!
I like the copper dominating color metals and the gray slate themed counter tops. I once was asked to design a kitchen with a stainless dominant metal. They wanted 12" high toe kicks with the toe kicks all being stainless steel. I turned down the job despite so much money to be made. I have a reputation to protect as an award winning kitchen designer. Besides, there is no such thing as a 12" toe kick not to mention the blatant waste of useable base cabinet space.

Those white cabinets are also way out of style since the mid 90s despite some people still liking it. But hey, some people still swear by brown appliances and green steel cabinets. Im pretty useless at convincing people what they should do so only make one mention of it.

Your old historic home needs a kitchen that can make anyones jaw drop and white just dont cut it. Take another look at rustic or countryish colors in shaker or quaker style. I see your in Pennsylvania. Why not go Amish in the old quaker style? You will not see any Amish people with white cabinets I can assure you. Instead they mostly use pine witha light stain which is generally home made.You will rarely find a major cabinet company producing pine cabinetry. It is just too soft and cheap for cabinets.

I think your choice should be maple, how bout birds eye maple or go rustic hickory. Hickory is awesome but many people do not like the wild beautiful colors.

I never liked stainless appliances much but that is the trend and everyone wants it. If you go real specialty you can get more then just the ol black or white. I seen a sky blue stove in a competitors showroom. I grabbed their catalog and they have any color under the rainbows. How about charcol grey stove to go with that countertop? How about a copper stove to go with the copper hardware????? Wow !

Oh I forgot the poster above me...I think Catnip, take that advice on the cabinet depth fridge. That's a given in todays design.

Good luck in your new house.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:34 PM

Thanks for all the input! I don't have a picture I can post but the kitchen is a U shape with a window at the bottom of the U, sink is under it. The room is a tad narrow so I don't really have room for a permanent island like in Cattknap's second photo above, but would love one on locking casters. Those cabinets are definitely the right idea.

Interesting to see that fridge with the cabinet front AND and ice maker/water dispenser; that is the main reason I had been discounting them because I didn't know you could do that! So thanks for that photo too.

Desertsun, I know from reading your other posts how you feel about white cabinets and I will respect your opinion. However, let me say that I have never had white cabinets, never really had an opinion either way, and yet when I walked into this house (it is a Victorian, by the way, not really an Amish farmhouse), the kitchen whispered to me, and it said it was tired of feeling dark and country and it wanted to be fresh and light and airy and have white cabinets....

Believe me, I was as shocked as anyone! And if it is 'out of style', so be it, I will blame it on the house. ;-)

Old 03-29-2009, 07:00 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,794,746 times
What if you did a cabinet with a little bit of a antique glaze over it with the countertops you would like to do.
I checked out the marblized copper and while it is nice, I think it might be too much for an 1870's home. Maybe something that is lighter. What about something like glass tile instead? With accents of some copper?
Kind of give it a bit of an antique feel, with a bit of new.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:23 AM

83 posts, read 259,425 times
I usually prefer a gray or black color for my appliances..

Old 03-30-2009, 06:21 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,978,681 times
I'm a white cabinet, white appliance person. My eyes prefer the visual of continuance of one color throughout a kitchen with one area, perhaps, as a focal point (in your case, the copper). In a previous house we had light cabinets and black appliances, and it really felt "choppy" to me.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:29 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Either black or white would work. It all depends on your preference. I'm in the process of replacing my appliances myself -- stove is white, dishwasher is black, and the fridge is almond -- and am leaning toward black just because it won't show gunk and dirt so badly.

Appliance fronts that match the cabinets drive me insane! My aunt has them, and I can never find the danged dishwasher.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:49 PM

That's funny about the dishwasher! I can see my kids using that as an excuse to not do their chores: "Mom, we would have unloaded the dishwasher, but we just couldn't find it!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating