Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 07:11 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,273,608 times

Advertisements

We just bought a new home which has good bones but needs quite a bit of cosmetic work. Our biggest project will be the kitchen. I've never remodeled a kitchen before and would love any and all suggestions, input, etc. The kitchen is approx. 20'X20' and is open to the family room. Currently, it has white cupboards and white laminate countertops with wood trim. The countertops are in pretty bad shape and some of the cupboards are not in great shape either but some look fine, with glass paned doors and open shelving. There is a built-in desk and pantry doors. There is also a very large island with a double height countertop on it. There is a black Jenn-Aire cooktop in the island, a white bosch built-in dishwasher, a black fridge and a black oven with microwave above (that I don't think works.) Assuming the d/w works, I may want to keep it until it dies, as it is a good brand and the white is not too offensive, but I would like to replace the other appliances with stainless steel. I'd also like to get rid of the cooktop in the island and get a free standing or built-in oven/range combo with a microwave above. Should I go ahead and replace all the cupboards as well as the countertops as I have heard that once you do the countertops you are stuck with whatever cupboards they are on. I happen to like white cupboards and also want to use the color green in the kitchen. If I replace the cupboards, I thought about a light green color but maybe that would be too much as there are so many cupboards and the island. What about white cupboards with black granite or corian with green walls. Or someone suggested mixing the cupboards - that they do not all have to be the same color. Looks good in a magazine but not sure how to carry it off, myself. We don't want to spend more than $40,000. Any suggestions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 07:22 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
First off congratulations on the house. $40,000.00 is a big budget for a kitchen. If you really plan on spending that kind of money I would not personalize the stationary things like the counter tops and cabinets. Stick with current styling and stay neutral for those. I am thinking of resale value if you "need' to sell for some emergency. Paint the walls and use accessories all you want because those are an easy fix if people don't like those.

With your budget I would re do the whole kitchen but be careful most people spend way beyond the budget. I would also make all the cabinets the same. I hate mismatched anything so that is strictly my opinion.

I'm sure you will gets tons of help. Good luck.

I have to say with your motto "less is more" why are you spending that kind of money on a kitchen, lol? That seems like more to me. My budget is always as close to $5000.00 as I can stay and I've re done many kitchens.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
First off congratulations on the house. $40,000.00 is a big budget for a kitchen. If you really plan on spending that kind of money I would not personalize the stationary things like the counter tops and cabinets. Stick with current styling and stay neutral for those. I am thinking of resale value if you "need' to sell for some emergency. Paint the walls and use accessories all you want because those are an easy fix if people don't like those.

With your budget I would re do the whole kitchen but be careful most people spend way beyond the budget. I would also make all the cabinets the same. I hate mismatched anything so that is strictly my opinion.

I'm sure you will gets tons of help. Good luck.

I have to say with your motto "less is more" why are you spending that kind of money on a kitchen, lol? That seems like more to me. My budget is always as close to $5000.00 as I can stay and I've re done many kitchens.
Oh, that is great to know that it can be done for way less! Someone had indicated that $40 K was the amount to expect to pay. I'd love to not spend that much and actually have some to put toward other areas of the home. Please, tell me MORE...on how to do it for LESS! TIA

Old 04-29-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Oh, that is great to know that it can be done for way less! Someone had indicated that $40 K was the amount to expect to pay. I'd love to not spend that much and actually have some to put toward other areas of the home. Please, tell me MORE...on how to do it for LESS! TIA
My Dh and I buy and sell real estate. We have done many "off the shelf" kitchens from the chain home improvement stores. I know many on here will disagree with me but we have always sold our homes and no one commented that the kitchen cabinets weren't "real" wood, lol. We also didn't lose any value because if we had done the upper end kitchen on our last house we wouldn't have made a dime more and we would have lost the cost of the high end kitchen.

This is how I pick a kitchen. I look for the stock cabinets and pick ones that I like. I usually do the Formica counters that are pre-made. If you don't like those then pick what you do like. I don't care much about what other people like or what the trends are because it is my kitchen, lol. I like the look of stainless steel for the pop and I can get all 3 pieces for about 1200.00.

You do have a big kitchen so it will cost you a little more. Can you do any of the work yourself? Labor costs a lot. If you don't want top of the line everything you should be able to do a really nice kitchen for 10,000- $20,000 depending on the labor costs.

I have a picture of my current kitchen with costs. I'll try to find the thread.

Shop around and get different estimates. Also ask for discounts.

Good luck.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:27 PM

Here is my current kitchen. It cost about $5000.00 and that was because I needed a propane refrigerator and they are not cheap. You can see my DH and I building the kitchen. Scroll down to post #565.

//www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...nessee-57.html

Old 04-29-2009, 09:21 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
I am familiar with Younglisa's kitchen. It looks fine and the best part is her and hubby did it all themself from scratch. Those Home Depot and Lowes do-all unfinished cabinets are just birch faces with corrugated cardboard boxes. They are paint grade and no stain can make them look good. (sorry Lisa, you know I admire and love what you did but you also know I hate your cabinets)

And do not pay attention to those HGTV shows where they remodel complete kitchens for $5000. I promise you it is impossible. I was unable to do a kitchen for $5000 25 years ago and I do not do high end.

But $40,000 is also quite high. A 20 X 20 kitchen is quite large but filling 2 walls and an island with cabinets even in cherry should be less then $16,000. Oak about $11,000.

I cant tell where you are from because you post in every city but if I knew I could send you to the proper place where you would not pay full list price as the big box stores charge. If anyone tries to give you an estimate by the linear foot then walk away. It can not be done.

Price of cabinets are determined by many factors. If you were to search my posts in the HOUSE forums you can find my info I already added on this. If not I can be more specific.

Keeping this short I may only say to steer clear of white because it is out of style except for the north east. Strange but I just learned that. Many people do not like oak but maple is pretty especially natural. Cherry is most expensive.

What else can I add to help you more?

Old 04-29-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I am familiar with Younglisa's kitchen. It looks fine and the best part is her and hubby did it all themself from scratch. Those Home Depot and Lowes do-all unfinished cabinets are just birch faces with corrugated cardboard boxes. They are paint grade and no stain can make them look good. (sorry Lisa, you know I admire and love what you did but you also know I hate your cabinets)

And do not pay attention to those HGTV shows where they remodel complete kitchens for $5000. I promise you it is impossible. I was unable to do a kitchen for $5000 25 years ago and I do not do high end.

But $40,000 is also quite high. A 20 X 20 kitchen is quite large but filling 2 walls and an island with cabinets even in cherry should be less then $16,000. Oak about $11,000.

I cant tell where you are from because you post in every city but if I knew I could send you to the proper place where you would not pay full list price as the big box stores charge. If anyone tries to give you an estimate by the linear foot then walk away. It can not be done.

Price of cabinets are determined by many factors. If you were to search my posts in the HOUSE forums you can find my info I already added on this. If not I can be more specific.

Keeping this short I may only say to steer clear of white because it is out of style except for the north east. Strange but I just learned that. Many people do not like oak but maple is pretty especially natural. Cherry is most expensive.

What else can I add to help you more?
Thanks so much for responding. Actually, the home we are buying IS in the northeast - Maine, to be specific. So, I guess white will be alright??? I have maple now and would like a change. I like a country or french country look. If you know of a place for me to check out in the Portland, ME area, please let me know. TIA

Old 04-30-2009, 04:02 AM

169 posts, read 1,489,359 times
Quote:
We just bought a new home which has good bones but needs quite a bit of cosmetic work. Our biggest project will be the kitchen. I've never remodeled a kitchen before and would love any and all suggestions, input, etc. The kitchen is approx. 20'X20' and is open to the family room. Currently, it has white cupboards and white laminate countertops with wood trim. The countertops are in pretty bad shape and some of the cupboards are not in great shape either but some look fine, with glass paned doors and open shelving. There is a built-in desk and pantry doors. There is also a very large island with a double height countertop on it. There is a black Jenn-Aire cooktop in the island, a white bosch built-in dishwasher, a black fridge and a black oven with microwave above (that I don't think works.) Assuming the d/w works, I may want to keep it until it dies, as it is a good brand and the white is not too offensive, but I would like to replace the other appliances with stainless steel. I'd also like to get rid of the cooktop in the island and get a free standing or built-in oven/range combo with a microwave above. Should I go ahead and replace all the cupboards as well as the countertops as I have heard that once you do the countertops you are stuck with whatever cupboards they are on. I happen to like white cupboards and also want to use the color green in the kitchen. If I replace the cupboards, I thought about a light green color but maybe that would be too much as there are so many cupboards and the island. What about white cupboards with black granite or corian with green walls. Or someone suggested mixing the cupboards - that they do not all have to be the same color. Looks good in a magazine but not sure how to carry it off, myself. We don't want to spend more than $40,000. Any suggestions???
kitchen renovation is something you start with low budget and then end up paying double the amount. there are so many options for you if you are ready to spend even $30000. keep an eye on budget while renovating. secondly, change the dish washer too because it will look odd with new cabinets, countertop and other stainless steel appliances.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusam View Post
kitchen renovation is something you start with low budget and then end up paying double the amount. there are so many options for you if you are ready to spend even $30000. keep an eye on budget while renovating. secondly, change the dish washer too because it will look odd with new cabinets, countertop and other stainless steel appliances.
An expert Kitchen Designer will make sure you come in on the budget you are quoted......or less. But yes, options are endless and are only limited by your budget.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much for responding. Actually, the home we are buying IS in the northeast - Maine, to be specific. So, I guess white will be alright??? I have maple now and would like a change. I like a country or french country look. If you know of a place for me to check out in the Portland, ME area, please let me know. TIA
Portland, Maine. Nice place except for the snowy winters. I can not recommend by brand but I can tell you where to go which is neutral.

Well one of the most famous Kitchen Designers nationwide is Chris Peacock. I dont even like his work. He mostly deals in white or shades of white or salmon or almond with glazing kitchens which is his trademark. I think he may be out of normal peoples league anyway. He does the Kennedys and the Billy Joels kitchens of the world.

For normal working stiffs like us go to little ol Hammond Lumber in Portland. But Im not sure if they are selling at wholesale still. Thats all I have for you. The other 2 in your area I know are victims of the economic depression.

Good luck !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating