Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 02:00 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,420,386 times

Advertisements

I have one of those big, ugly boxes on my kitchen ceiling covering a fluorescent light fixture. I would love to replace it with some recessed lights. I have heard this is really easy to do, but I have done enough home improvement projects to know that I don't want to do anymore. Well, not myself anyway.

My question is has anyone else had this done? How much did it cost? Do I call a handyman, contractor or electrician?

I really just want someone to install the light fixtures. I can touch up any texturing/painting.

Oh, and it is on the first floor of a 2-story house; so we don't have access to the kitchen ceiling from an attic.

Also, feel free to DM me with recommendations of folks who would do this. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 02:41 PM

596 posts, read 2,875,958 times
I would also like to hear this answer.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:35 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,865 times
maybe i can convince you to put crown mouldings around it and staining it. let me get pics

but yes recessed lighting is easy to do as long as its pre wired. so far i've put up 16 4" recessed lights and I dont have a whole saw

Old 04-09-2009, 07:18 PM

256 posts, read 1,390,241 times
I had this done recently. I was very surprised that the electrician had no need to go into my attic. He was able to thread the wires through my kitchen ceiling as needed. He charged me $50 per light and it cost me about $50 per light for the materials. And the first chance I get, I'm having him come back, disconnect the recessed, and put in a new flourescent light.

The recessed lights cast a narrow beam of light straight down to the floor. I would need ten of them to light up my kitchen the way my original flourescent lit it. I don't see that the new fixtures add anything to the look of the kitchen, other than that they allowed me to get rid of the flourescent fixture. They just don't make any really attractive flourescents. But the tradeoff in function is not worth the updated look. I hate the new lights.

BTW, you wouldn't need an electrician...any general contractor type could probably do the job. It is a VERY simple process.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:53 PM

128 posts, read 1,070,639 times
haven't had it done yet but would like to know how is it done. Buy your light first and get an electrician to fix it up for you.

Jeanne

Old 04-09-2009, 10:07 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decorchallenged View Post
I had this done recently. I was very surprised that the electrician had no need to go into my attic. He was able to thread the wires through my kitchen ceiling as needed. He charged me $50 per light and it cost me about $50 per light for the materials. And the first chance I get, I'm having him come back, disconnect the recessed, and put in a new flourescent light.

The recessed lights cast a narrow beam of light straight down to the floor. I would need ten of them to light up my kitchen the way my original flourescent lit it. I don't see that the new fixtures add anything to the look of the kitchen, other than that they allowed me to get rid of the flourescent fixture. They just don't make any really attractive flourescents. But the tradeoff in function is not worth the updated look. I hate the new lights.

BTW, you wouldn't need an electrician...any general contractor type could probably do the job. It is a VERY simple process.

those recessed lighting fixtures can be adjusted so that the bulb is deeper in or further out. then you can buy the right bulb that gives out more light that is less focused downwards
my kitchen sink's task lighting is motion sensored - perfect for midnight snack kind of lighting. my breakfast table lights also. in my opinion every room should have a light source for, say, looking for an earing on the floor or latenight vacuuming. my florescent box and brightly lit recessed lighting for the breakfast nook are for that purpose
this used to be all white, i just brushed some woodstain to match the cabinets and to give it some weight

Old 04-13-2009, 03:26 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,593,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decorchallenged View Post
I had this done recently....The recessed lights cast a narrow beam of light straight down to the floor. I would need ten of them to light up my kitchen the way my original flourescent lit it.
Sounds like your electrician put in spot lights rather than flood lights.

My kitchen is small but I have 6 recessed light cans on a dimmer switch. I rarely have the lights all the way on. How many cans did you have installed? Were they installed too close to the tops of the cabinets such that the light streams down the cabinet doors and doesn't provide adequate task lighting?

Sorry to hear you're not happy with your recessed lighting. I love mine.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:29 AM

656 posts, read 1,990,682 times
I just had 6 cans installed in my kitchen to replace a VERY ugly flourescent light - I have a small kitchen with 9ft ceilings. Those reccessed lights changed the whole look of my kitchen. The lights now light up the beautiful wood on my cabinets and walls and shoot good light directly down on the counters. I put in soft white 65w bulbs and I have plenty of light but have a dimmer as well. I hired a licensed electrician who did it for $300 and made very few drywall cuts to string the lights.

This was so WELL WORTH the cost --- Lighting is everthing.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:06 PM

897 posts, read 2,824,220 times
If you want brighter, crisper light then try halogen bulbs in your recessed fixtures.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:44 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
We did this too. We removed the ugly florescent and put infive cans. I love it. We positioned the cans to be over the work areas and now we have light where we need it, not behind us. We had an electrican do the job on the side so it was less expensive than going with a regular guy. He had no problem doing this without damaging the ceiling, though I do have to repair the spot where the old fixture was. I will say that we could use some under cabinet lighting as well but we need that with the florescent fixture as well.

Decorchallenged - I can not believe you prefer the florescent fixture over the cans. You cans must not be placed properly. I would look at where they are located to be sure they shine down where you do your most work. Honestly I think florescents have all the charm of a hospital laboratory and not a true home. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating