Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 12:08 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times

Advertisements

I think you can go with any type/multi print fabric chair..stripe, plaid, floral. whatever you like. just include a touch of the couch color and find what works with your walls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 01:07 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,271,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
I think you can go with any type/multi print fabric chair..stripe, plaid, floral. whatever you like. just include a touch of the couch color and find what works with your walls.
Well the walls are a blank slate, white or off white..will put color on them, probably a light taupe with some accent color.

I do like prints, especially cottage rose type prints...the last couple houses I have had the wavery rose valances in burgundy/beige. Not sure I want those colors..I have a full set of churchill blue willow dishes that I want to use, and it's a kitchen, dining room great room combo...so now i have to figure out some colors that will go with those dishes..

We won't be into the house until near the end of May, just trying to get ideas and I really appreciate your input and everyone elses, too.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:02 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I see leather as a "neutral". Kind of like wood trim?

You choice of fabrics/patterns and colors will depend more upon the style of your furniture than the actual upholstery.

Have fun!

Oh, and post pictures when you are finished.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:54 PM

I will post pictures, will be this summer after we get moved in...thanks for the help and if you get any more ideas, I am open to everything!

Old 04-28-2009, 12:36 AM

128 posts, read 1,070,599 times
am attaching a brown themed living room picture. you can grasp an idea from it for your own color scheme for the room .

Old 04-28-2009, 08:23 AM

Jeanne, I don't see an attachment, maybe I am missing it somehwere..

Old 04-29-2009, 06:28 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,207,167 times
I resisted buying a leather sofa for a long time. I had been to many folks homes and didnt want to repeat that whole room full of heavy dark square furniture thing that most of them had.

I had a perfect opportunity when I relocated to Phoenix.

I spent weeks going to every furniture store in town. And in the part of town I live in, we have more furniture stores than I have ever seen in my life. I looked at probably hundreds of sofas. I had decided now was the time to go leather because it is pretty dusty out here (it is a desert). But I needed the one that spoke to me and inspired me.

I finally found it. It is what I would call a caramel colored leather. It has a scalloped back and edged in antique brass studs. The cushions have a rounded edge. I have it paired with with orange as an accent color. The orange I work with isnt neon orange but a mid-range orange. The rest of my colors are muted (beige, light muted gold) and a few dark dark brown round throw pillows (to tie in 2 darker leather recliners I have in the room and my counter stools in the adjacent/open kitchen which have darker leather seats). With the other more muted colors and play on the different shades of leather, they all "work" together and the orange really "pops" as an accent. I love it. Also a caveat: I am not a "pattern" person. All of the accents and my sofa are solid colors. The only "pattern" I probably have in my living room is the artwork (which picks up all the same colors).

My other favorite piece in my living room is the rug under the coffee table in front of the sofa. I went for a little bit of a geometric play. The rug is just circles of different colors (again in my palette of brown, orange, muted colors) and scalloped at the edge (ie the rug is a bunch of circles even at the edges). And the scallop in the rug plays on the scallop in the sofa back. I have some round and some square throw pillows in the same colors which plays on the sort of geometric idea.

My advice on decorating: go with what makes you feel good, and don't be afraid to mix and match (especially with leather) and find your style. Leather really is a "neutral". It can be combined with just about anything, including other leathers. And every style.

As the previous poster stated, a leather sofa is not just a leather sofa. Look at the STYLE of the sofa and let that feed into your decorating. For example, my sofa has curved angles and a scalloped back with a shorter seat (ie from front to back, not height lol!). It's more "formal" bordering on maybe contemporary (with the angles) so I could get away with a little more contemporary tinge such as the geometric play I have going on and still tie in to the sofa.

Too much of anything is a bad thing, so I brought in wrought iron and antique brass accents to match the studs on the sofa. And they also "tone down" the geometric idea from being too "loudly apparent" because I went for pieces with swirls and curves and more fluid shapes.

I still havent painted my walls tho lol! I am in the search for the perfect color. Which I am angling towards going with a stucco-type dark beige. And I have another reason for this, other than it will also match my interior colors. My living room has french doors onto a balcony which I love to have open. The balcony is the dark beige stucco color. So essentially it will appear as "one room" with the doors open if I do it right.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
I resisted buying a leather sofa for a long time. I had been to many folks homes and didnt want to repeat that whole room full of heavy dark square furniture thing that most of them had.

I had a perfect opportunity when I relocated to Phoenix.

I spent weeks going to every furniture store in town. And in the part of town I live in, we have more furniture stores than I have ever seen in my life. I looked at probably hundreds of sofas. I had decided now was the time to go leather because it is pretty dusty out here (it is a desert). But I needed the one that spoke to me and inspired me.

I finally found it. It is what I would call a caramel colored leather. It has a scalloped back and edged in antique brass studs. The cushions have a rounded edge. I have it paired with with orange as an accent color. The orange I work with isnt neon orange but a mid-range orange. The rest of my colors are muted (beige, light muted gold) and a few dark dark brown round throw pillows (to tie in 2 darker leather recliners I have in the room and my counter stools in the adjacent/open kitchen which have darker leather seats). With the other more muted colors and play on the different shades of leather, they all "work" together and the orange really "pops" as an accent. I love it. Also a caveat: I am not a "pattern" person. All of the accents and my sofa are solid colors. The only "pattern" I probably have in my living room is the artwork (which picks up all the same colors).

My other favorite piece in my living room is the rug under the coffee table in front of the sofa. I went for a little bit of a geometric play. The rug is just circles of different colors (again in my palette of brown, orange, muted colors) and scalloped at the edge (ie the rug is a bunch of circles even at the edges). And the scallop in the rug plays on the scallop in the sofa back. I have some round and some square throw pillows in the same colors which plays on the sort of geometric idea.

My advice on decorating: go with what makes you feel good, and don't be afraid to mix and match (especially with leather) and find your style. Leather really is a "neutral". It can be combined with just about anything, including other leathers. And every style.

As the previous poster stated, a leather sofa is not just a leather sofa. Look at the STYLE of the sofa and let that feed into your decorating. For example, my sofa has curved angles and a scalloped back with a shorter seat (ie from front to back, not height lol!). It's more "formal" bordering on maybe contemporary (with the angles) so I could get away with a little more contemporary tinge such as the geometric play I have going on and still tie in to the sofa.

Too much of anything is a bad thing, so I brought in wrought iron and antique brass accents to match the studs on the sofa. And they also "tone down" the geometric idea from being too "loudly apparent" because I went for pieces with swirls and curves and more fluid shapes.

I still havent painted my walls tho lol! I am in the search for the perfect color. Which I am angling towards going with a stucco-type dark beige. And I have another reason for this, other than it will also match my interior colors. My living room has french doors onto a balcony which I love to have open. The balcony is the dark beige stucco color. So essentially it will appear as "one room" with the doors open if I do it right.

Sounds beautiful..can you post some pics..we are also moving to desert, Palm Springs area..I need ideas! thanks

Old 05-01-2009, 03:04 AM

128 posts, read 1,070,599 times
you would definitely need dark shades for your sofa. How about marons, red or chocolate brown.

Jeanne

Old 05-03-2009, 08:31 PM

596 posts, read 2,875,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamcim72 View Post
I have a dark brown leather sectional. Even though it is not decorater friendly it is definitely durable and family friendly. Medium beige tile floors, browns/golds/green rug, brown walls w/ mossy green accent niche and pillows.
OMG is this your home or is this a showroom? I LOVE THIS ROOM...who are you and when can you come help me with my house...omg I'm going to be grumbling about your gorgeous room for days...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating