Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 08:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
Blue and brown look great together. I personally prefer blue and a deep chocolate brown, but blue and tan or light brown looks great too. In fact, brown and blue, brown and green, and brown and pink are really in right now.
I know brown and blue look good together, but not with her floors and cabinets. Her tile is reddish-brown and her cabinets are honey colored. That's just way too much red and yellow for a blue/grey blue. She needs colors that will tie it all together and compliment her existing colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna79 View Post
Blue gray/ creamy tan , rich green/ coffee n cream, and cinnamon red/ light tuscan brown.
These are great color combinations. I need to know what colors Merlot/Percale are before I can give an opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 02:32 PM

24 posts, read 228,840 times
it like a wine red color and Percale is like a Tan color

Old 05-13-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna79 View Post
it like a wine red color and Percale is like a tan color
Then the blue gray/creamy tan combo is completely out of the question for the kitchen and the dining room.

The rich green/coffee n cream will definitely work.

The cinnamon red/light tuscan brown will depend on if the cinnamon color complients the wine red color.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:21 PM

so the rich green and coffee N cream for the kitchen and dining room . Now if I paint the den the the wine color with will it blend with the kitchen colors?

Old 05-14-2009, 08:12 AM

Not so much blend, they compliment. Christmas isn't green and red by accident. It's a common color combination. Green is considered a neutral color. It goes with anything --- shade depending because green can have yellow, red or blue undertones. But 'wine' and 'rich green' sounds like a good match.

My neighbor did her house in rich jewel tone colors. Her kitchen is emerald green and saphire blue on different walls. Her other rooms have jewel tones too---even a rich purple. She placed the colors on the walls so that when you're looking from one room to another, you can see complimenting colors. The color behind you matches the color in the other room on the wall you can't see--but you would see it when you're standing in the other room looking into the other room. It's hard to explain, but every movement you make throughout the house changes the color scheme completely.

My whole point to bringing up my neighbors house is that her rooms aren't large and the dark colors work perfectly. But if you're concerned about dark colors making your house seem smaller, consider putting the dark color on accent walls.

Either way, I'm sure it will look great.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:25 AM

Thanks

Old 05-17-2009, 08:35 AM

what is a good magazine that can give you ideads for painting the inside of you home?

Old 05-18-2009, 10:21 PM

7 posts, read 21,463 times
If you paint it a dark color with the wood cabinets it wouldn't look as rich. But if you use a golden tone it would look even better. Or try a color that has some clay colors.
KB

Old 05-19-2009, 06:07 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
From your pictures it looks like you don't have a lot of natural light in the room - is that correct? Be mindful of how dark the paint is that you plan to use - dark paint can work in smaller rooms but without adequate light, small darkly painted rooms can look cave-like and oppressive. Lighter, neutral colors allow you to use whatever colors you want as accessories and allow you to change out your accessories. Frankly, I do not like the idea of wine colored paint and green colored paint in close proximity - it sounds dated, dark and amateurish. Are people still doing accent walls?? Do look at magazines for inspiration and when choosing paint colors do keep in mind the size of your rooms, amount of natural and artificial light, colors of the accessories you wish to use, tone of wood that you have, floor color, window coverings, style of decor you gravitate towards, etc.

Last edited by Cattknap; 05-19-2009 at 06:23 AM..

Old 05-19-2009, 07:01 AM

Thanks for the information. I aslo was thinking like a gray color not a dark gray but a light gray ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating