Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 04:32 PM

67 posts, read 304,180 times

Advertisements

Have you tried IKEA?

IKEA | Kitchen | Kitchen islands & carts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 09:42 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,508,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlFromJersey View Post
I think fisher33 wants his kitchen to look nice, why would he go there?

Old 05-10-2009, 11:31 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,471,190 times
i love the john boos' too! they are so expensive though. yes, i've checked out ikea - didn't see anything that struck my fancy but thank you for the suggestion.

p.s. desertsun, i'm a she! (:

Old 05-11-2009, 01:19 PM

67 posts, read 304,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I think fisher33 wants his kitchen to look nice, why would he go there?
I've known plenty of people who've bought cheapy items from Ikea or Target and then customized them to their specifications. It depends on if you're a DIY-er or not, sometime you've got to get innovative.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:11 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,385,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher33 View Post
Have any of you had luck finding a nice kitchen island? I'm looking for something that looks like a piece of furniture (no wheels) - in a medium wood tone or painted a light distressed green with a butcher block top probably. It could also be an antique table. I want it big enough to have two to three chairs around and if people are sitting there, I can still prep food.

I'm not really sure about the exact size yet, but it can be about 3x4 or 2x5 I think. I haven't been able to find a thing online that meets these criteria. I thought I'd definitely have to have something custom made, but the lady who is helping me w/ the house says we should be able to buy something, but I'm losing hope! She's looking too, but I thought I'd ask you all. You're so helpful - aw.

I don't mind having something built if it's not a couple thousand dollars (I'd prefer to stay under $1k). Islands seem to be really expensive. Anyone ever had a similar search? Am I searching for the impossible?

Here's a photo of one that I like: Make You Kitchen Stand Out with a Contemporary Kitchen Island Plan

Thanks everyone!
How about this? I have bought lots of butcher block furniture at Eastern butcher block. Butcher Block Cutting Boards and Counter Tops. Scroll down to look at the kitchen island pic.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:05 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,471,190 times
thanks emily, any idea how pricey or "unpricey" they are? i will check it out.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:37 PM

4 posts, read 12,378 times
i saw 3 really nice ones at biglots today, they were around $200-$300 range.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:38 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,646,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher33 View Post
i love the john boos' too! they are so expensive though. yes, i've checked out ikea - didn't see anything that struck my fancy but thank you for the suggestion.

p.s. desertsun, i'm a she! (:
I really like John Boos also. Since I didn't have the money, I made my own. I found a base at one of those discount places - Marshalls/Tuesday Morning. Took the top off and added my butcher block. You can take the wheels off - I like the wheels personally because it suits my needs. You could probably also go to a salvage yard and pick up something that might work for you and customize it to your taste. I am happy with how mine came out. (see last post on this thread to view) Is no island better than a small island?

Old 06-21-2009, 07:55 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,278,431 times
Thanks for your post, Janecj. I missed your photo on the other thread and am so glad you linked to it. Wow! It's lovely. You missed your calling!

Old 06-21-2009, 08:19 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,646,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Thanks for your post, Janecj. I missed your photo on the other thread and am so glad you linked to it. Wow! It's lovely. You missed your calling!
Thanks. It was fun project and I really enjoy fixing up or making things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating