Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 12:45 PM

5,503 posts, read 6,224,741 times

Advertisements

Almond appliances make it very difficult to "sell" a kitchen.

When we were remodeling out kitchen this past winter I replaced all of my 5 yr. old white appliances & opted for all black & stainless. I call my black porcelain stove "my redheaded stepchild". It has to be cleaned and polished every day for 20-30 mins. I have no idea whee all the marks come from. Even if water sprays from a pot, you have to 1. wash with dish soap, 2. rinse with hot water, 3. dry with clean Micro Fiber cloths, 4. polish with Porcelain cleaner & 5. buff with Micro Fiber cloth. I love my appliances but they do require work to keep them spotless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 11:51 PM

1 posts, read 784 times
I purchased refurbished appliances at a fraction of the cost of new, then have a home warranty that includes all the appliances as well as most everything in the house. This way you can afford to get top of the line in whatever you want.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:02 AM

37,054 posts, read 42,002,003 times
This is a really old thread.

Appliances DO NOT have to all be matchymatchy even down to brand. When I was growing up my mom was a great cook. She had an industrial Wolf stove with a big old vent installed and it was stainless at a time when stainless was not something consumers could purchase. Yes it stood out, but in a good way.

Black, white, stainless...some appliances have a combination of those and will go together just fine. An unusual color on a single appliance, turquoise, red, green, etc. can make a bold statement. I hate that we are so programmed that we feel like we HAVE to spend money on things like this unnecessarily.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:31 AM

8,358 posts, read 25,164,021 times
Appliances come in all types of colors and you can even buy paints (usually spray paint) that are specially designed to coat appliances. My fridge is white; dishwasher is black/grey-silver (*note: not stainless); my range is black/brushed-metal (*note: nice and silver, but not stainless); and my microwave is also brushed-metal with black trim. The range that came with the home was an off-white color, and it did clash with the dishwasher**, but the new range matches nicely. Honestly, I would get what you like and if it fits in with the rest of the kitchen who cares if the color does not match the other appliances. If it works it works.

**The fridge and dishwasher are the same brand. Although different colors (one white and one black/grey-silver), the bezel on the dishwasher is of the same material as the outer shell of the fridge...so they match. Also, the hinges, handles, "trim", and bezel around the ice/water dispenser are of a darker shade of white. It's hard to explain, but if you look at these you will notice a smoky/greyish/blackish hue...which matches to the grey-silver on the dishwasher. Also, the brand-name and buttons on the ice/water dispenser are of the same grey-silver color, too. Things match in many different ways, you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeHuntress View Post
I agree with the other posts. Plus, some expectations depend on the price point in my opinion. A $300K buyer might want/expect stainless but a $120K buyer may not. Just make sure that the colors are consistent and everything works.
This is a rant for another thread, but I never understood the whole "you gotta ______ if you want to sell your home", and, "homebuyers want_______". Call me strange but when I look at a home I am looking at the/its space. When I buy a home I am buying it for its space/layout/future possibilities.

I'll get off my soapbox. My contention is with "stainless" steel appliances to begin with. True stainless steel is expensive and what most people think of as stainless is most-likely just a cheaper metal with a shiny "stainless" coat: either a paint or laminate. "Refrigerator" magnets have a hard time sticking to real stainless steal and real stainless steal smudges like a mofo. But it does not rust and if you scratch it the scratch remains the same color as the "finish" as it is the same material.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:10 AM

18,370 posts, read 31,465,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
If I liked the look of white in the room, I would keep it white - however, I do things to my own taste, not too concerned with future selling right now. Do you plan on selling anytime soon? Do you plan on upgrading the rest of your appliances to stainless if you go with stainless on the fridge?

I will say that I think that having a stainless fridge with the rest of the appliances being white may look silly.

again, why do you think that because the appliances are SS they have been upgraded?????

your not upgrading, your just changing the color!!

Happs, get the white like everyone else said to match what you have. It will look nice.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:50 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,478,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
"Refrigerator" magnets have a hard time sticking to real stainless
A point in favor of stainless!

Old 03-04-2014, 11:23 AM

10,025 posts, read 17,939,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
again, why do you think that because the appliances are SS they have been upgraded?????

your not upgrading, your just changing the color!!
lol, EXACTLY!! I HATE stainless -- it looks cold and dreary to me and that is the LAST thing I am going for in my kitchen. I want my kitchen to look warm and welcoming, even if it's just welcoming my kitties on any particular day! (Nightcrawler, tried to rep you but I'd rep'd you too recently -- will try again later!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Happs, get the white like everyone else said to match what you have. It will look nice.
Well, Happs posted 5 years ago so I suspect he/she has long since bought new appliances. (Another thread resurrected by a newbie, but C-D seems to encourage that ...)

Old 03-04-2014, 12:52 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,687,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Well, Happs posted 5 years ago so I suspect he/she has long since bought new appliances.
Maybe not. I've been talking about my kitchen since I joined CD. Now that I'm finally installing it, I have been sending my children text pictures. (It's no coincidence that I couldn't afford to do this until they left the nest. LOL) Their friends ask why they are laughing, and they say, "My mom has wanted a new kitchen for 20 years. She keeps sending pictures of her new kitchen cabinets."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating