Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 10:26 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,227,571 times

Advertisements

I don't want to get into a whole white vs stainless steel appliance color debate in regards to what looks best esthetically but right now my entire kitchen has white appliances, but my refrigerator is on it's way out. If I replace it with a stainless steel one, will I pretty much have to replace all the other appliances soon with stainless steel in order for it to look proper to a future buyer?

If I replace the refrigerator with another white one, it would match but then I would be stuck with getting white appliances indefinitely which may or may not be a bad thing depending on how white appliances are perceived in the future.

What would you all do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 10:41 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,064 times
If I liked the look of white in the room, I would keep it white - however, I do things to my own taste, not too concerned with future selling right now. Do you plan on selling anytime soon? Do you plan on upgrading the rest of your appliances to stainless if you go with stainless on the fridge?

I will say that I think that having a stainless fridge with the rest of the appliances being white may look silly.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:53 AM

93 posts, read 645,993 times
I would say if the other appliances will not be replaced in the near future, definitely stick with white. Appliances that match, whatever color they may be, will always look better than mis-matching ones in my opinion.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:02 AM

67 posts, read 304,877 times
I think it depends on the color of your kitchen. If you have white cabinets and the appliances sort of blend into them, the stainless could offer a nice contrast without looking too misplaced.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:07 AM

502 posts, read 1,654,712 times
I agree with the other posts. Plus, some expectations depend on the price point in my opinion. A $300K buyer might want/expect stainless but a $120K buyer may not. Just make sure that the colors are consistent and everything works.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:13 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Forget about selling your home in the future, unless the future is next week.

Buy what you want.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:38 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,167,471 times
If you live in a $500,000+ home I doubt it matters if you have white or stainless. I vote white as Chicago Tribune recently had an article stating white is making a serious comeback..Google!

Old 05-13-2009, 09:55 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,594,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
I don't want to get into a whole white vs stainless steel appliance color debate in regards to what looks best esthetically but right now my entire kitchen has white appliances, but my refrigerator is on it's way out. If I replace it with a stainless steel one, will I pretty much have to replace all the other appliances soon with stainless steel in order for it to look proper to a future buyer?

If I replace the refrigerator with another white one, it would match but then I would be stuck with getting white appliances indefinitely which may or may not be a bad thing depending on how white appliances are perceived in the future.

What would you all do?
Whatever color you choose the appliances must match!!!!! For houses on the market there is nothing tackier to me than unmatching appliances. I think it depends on the price point your home is at. The higher the price the nicer your appliances will be expected to be and could help in the home sale. If at a lower price point all white decent appliances may be just fine. Another point is that the cheaper standard SS isn't that great and better rated white ones could actually look better.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:03 PM

955 posts, read 3,648,106 times
I think they should match regardless of what you choose!

Old 05-13-2009, 04:05 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,047,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
Whatever color you choose the appliances must match!!!!! For houses on the market there is nothing tackier to me than unmatching appliances. I think it depends on the price point your home is at. The higher the price the nicer your appliances will be expected to be and could help in the home sale. If at a lower price point all white decent appliances may be just fine. Another point is that the cheaper standard SS isn't that great and better rated white ones could actually look better.
I agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating