Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 04:18 PM

520 posts, read 3,919,549 times

Advertisements

Anyone here have a mirror on their mantle over your fp?

For those of you that do have a mirror, are you happy with the look?
Do you wish you would bought a different mirror (size,color, border, etc...)?

Looking to buy a mirror to place over our fp but not sure what to look for.
I'm trying to picture a "plain' mirror vs one with frame/border.
Is one better than the other?
What about shape and size of the mirror?

We have a regular ceramic fp with a stained wooden mantel.

Thoughts or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 07:05 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,052 times
Nope no mirror over the mantle. Have a nice picture there instead with decorative stuff on the mantel and some small personal photo snaps.

I have a china buffett with mirror and 2 curio cabinets so plenty of mirrors around.

I think you will need to test possible mirror selections by placing them on or above the mantle and seeing which one tickles your fancy.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:00 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,272,380 times
I prefer a beautiful picture over the mantle (much more interesting) than a mirror. But if you are going to put a mirror there, I would definitely not put one without a frame; but find one with a very interesting frame and let that be the artsy element.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:52 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
I love a beautiful mirror over a mantle - especially if it reflects a nice view. A large antique mirror works in many decors. Large mirrors hung low near the mantle can reflect interesting objects on the mantle and look especially beautiful at night with reflected candlelight.

Mirrors with and without frames can work perfectly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Cattknap/fireplacegoldmirror.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-16-2009, 03:00 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Cattknap/fireplaceframe4.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-16-2009, 09:11 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,052 times
OOHHH Cattknap, those are some beautiful rooms! Love the all white one with the white hydrangeas, but the all white color is not practical for me although we purchased light tan leather so what am I talking about

Old 05-16-2009, 10:30 AM

520 posts, read 3,919,549 times
thanks for those pics. i really like the first pic you posted there Catt.
simple and nice. that's what i'm shooting for.
nothing fancy, just something that will look good.

am i the only one though that always thinks that the look you see on these pics you'll never be
able to pull off in your home, LOL?

Old 05-16-2009, 01:17 PM

93 posts, read 645,912 times
I think a mirror looks beautiful over a mantle, as long as the room is big enough, the mantle is not too high, and whatever it reflects is pretty. It can help in situations where there is not much light in the room.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:40 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
We went with a mirror over the mantle- A big round one.
Square mantle, square firebox, flanked on both sides with...
...built-in bookcases with storage base cabinets, all SQUARE.
So, to breakup the "squareness" (sorry, couldn't resist the pun)of the room we added the round mirror. It has an extra heavy frame and the diameter covers from mantle to crown moulding- 9' ceiling.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:22 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
Do you wish you would bought a different mirror (size,color, border, etc...)?

Quote:
Looking to buy a mirror to place over our fp but not sure what to look for.
Try flea markets, second hand stores, craig's list and the pennysaver. That way you won't have a lot of money invested into it if you end up not liking it.

Quote:
I'm trying to picture a "plain' mirror vs one with frame/border. Is one better than the other?
Those plain mirrors w/o borders are so old fashion and cheap looking to me. The type of frame will depend on your style and the decorating in your house. Only you can know if you need modern or traditional frame.

Quote:
What about shape and size of the mirror?
I feel oval is more victorian. If that's your decorating style, oval will be perfect. I'm personally not into it.

I think a large rectagular mirror is the most dramatic. Larger is better. You want to make a statement with it. A fireplace is large.

The mirror needs to be substantial size to offset the size of the fireplace. You can't go too large on mirror for above a fireplace.

IMO, nothing is tackier than a small mirror over a fireplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating