Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2009, 08:05 AM

82 posts, read 280,002 times

Advertisements

We just bought a lovely house, and there is one glaring problem. Our bedroom door faces the door to garage. We love the rest of the house but now are wondering what to do about this problem. My husband thinks that the door to garage should be moved so that it could open into the living room. Then wall off where the door used to be so that there is a little alcove before going going to the bedroom door.
Any other ideas?

Thank you,
Bird Lover
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 03:45 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Not knowing how your house is layed out- it would be hard to suggest any other ideas.
What other rooms are common with the garage?
Or better yet- can you draw something out and post it?

Old 05-16-2009, 03:46 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I wouldn't want my garage door opening into my living room.

Perhaps you could move the bedroom door further down the bedroom wall so it's not directly across from the garage door.

What other rooms are against the garage wall? Just the master bedroom, living room and hallway?

Is there a laundry room against the garage wall? That would be the ideal place if you were moving the garage door.

It's really hard to give advice without seeing a floor plan.

For all I know, your bedroom door could be moved to a different part of the house entirely.

You always have the option of eliminating an enterance into the house from the garage too.

I'm wondering why it's bothering you that the garage door is across from the master bedroom?

If the door is ugly, replace it with a door similar to the interior doors.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:26 PM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Lover View Post
We just bought a lovely house, and there is one glaring problem. Our bedroom door faces the door to garage.
Why is that a problem?

Old 05-18-2009, 07:46 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Keep the garage door closed. That's what I'd do.

What's objectionable about this? What's the difference between the garage door being across from your bedroom door, or a bathroom door or another bedroom door? If they're closed, they look the same.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:49 PM

82 posts, read 280,002 times
Here is my update! We are selling out house. We have had a lot of vandalism. Broken bathroom window (big window) people writing awful stuff on our car and yesterday, someone rammed a screw driver into our door bell button and more!

Old 12-23-2012, 05:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Your three year update doesn't even mention what you did about the door.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:27 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Lover View Post
Here is my update! We are selling out house. We have had a lot of vandalism. Broken bathroom window (big window) people writing awful stuff on our car and yesterday, someone rammed a screw driver into our door bell button and more!
Seriously? You never came back to say what you decided about the door (despite several people trying to be helpful), but you come back THREE YEARS LATER to complain about vandals in your neighborhood? Um, are we supposed to care?

Old 12-24-2012, 09:37 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
heres an idea, even if this thread is old.
you can wallpaper the wall where the door is and if the door is flat wall paper that also, as to blend into the wall.

If in the event the door is panneled, then buy a new door, a flat one and paper it.

kinda like an optical illusion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating