Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2009, 04:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,915 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

We have a really odd shaped entry way and we can't figure out what we should put down for keeping the floor clean when we come in. I've attached a photo of the space. The doors from right to left are: garage door (used very often), front door (not used as much), closet and bathroom. The only ideas we have so far are a medium sized carpet at each door or a custom cut carpet that cover the area. Thoughts? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Need help with entry way-img_1362.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 08:15 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
What about using a round rug for the front door/garage door combo area and then maybe a matching runner?
for instance:

Pinwheel Hooked Wool Rug - Garnet Hill

I doubt it's your style but at least it's a suggestion!

Old 05-19-2009, 06:32 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
I agree with the round rug. Your wall color looks similar to mine, and my rug is a burgundy Royal Palace. It has taken a lot of wear and tear over the years. Home Decorators catalog has a lot of rugs and they really hold up. I would skip the runner since I prefer hard wood to show. We have only had a runner when our elderly dog was having trouble walking acoss the floor. I don't know how much room you have between the front door and the clostet, but some art work or sconce on the wall might be nice. If you have room on the floor, maybe a planter. I just feel like you need something else there, but I always seem to overdo everything so you probably don't need anything else but a rug.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:46 PM

186 posts, read 794,566 times
A runner would work well leading up to the entry door. The door would open just over the corner of the runner as you step into the house. The length of the rug would add a little interest to the hallway. I think a round rug would look like an afterthought and chop up the space rather than unifying the area, but I'm not a fan of round rugs anyway. Just an idea.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:00 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Yup, that's an odd one. I would try matching rugs..probably those nice, indoor/outdoor that look like hooked wool, but you can hose them clean. One in front of the front door and one in front of the garage door. Keep the amount of wood showing between the wall and the rugs consistent.
It's not as if you can camouflage the oddness of the floorplan, so you might as well go for the objective, which I think is wiping your feet off as you come in from the garage, and the front door?
I don't know what your decor is, but I have the Tropical Leaf rugs from Frontgate.com in my kitchen and back hall and they are pretty and can take a beating.
As someone else said, Garnet Hill has nice rugs, too.

Last edited by gentlearts; 05-23-2009 at 02:15 PM..

Old 05-24-2009, 04:59 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,001 times
Default Great Link

Thanks, bellalunatic, for this link to the Garnet Hill website! Great selection of items on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
What about using a round rug for the front door/garage door combo area and then maybe a matching runner?
for instance:

Pinwheel Hooked Wool Rug - Garnet Hill

I doubt it's your style but at least it's a suggestion!

Old 05-24-2009, 11:27 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Thanks, bellalunatic, for this link to the Garnet Hill website! Great selection of items on here.
You're very welcome! I love their stuff. Certainly not cheap but it is of great quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating