U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2009, 04:55 PM

557 posts, read 2,430,509 times

Advertisements

Thinking about spray painting a white fridge almond. Does this work or does the paint chip off? What's the best way to do the painting?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 07:34 PM

43,012 posts, read 98,186,494 times
I think it would depend on the finish. One of those rough vinyl finishes probably won't hold paint. A smooth metal finish might have a chance, but you'd have to do a good pre-cleaning (similar to what needs to be done for painting siding) and use a good primer.

I wouldn't do it. Just imagine if it does chip or peal. You'll be stuck with it forever. You wouldn't be able to give it away. It would be better to buy a used almond colored refrigerator on Craig's list, and then sell your white one. It probably wont' cost much more to get one on Craig's List.

These are examples of almond refrigerators that have been for sale on Craig's List in New Mexico:

***Amana side by side refrigerator (http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/hsh/1136353415.html - broken link)

Refrig, stove & hood, dishwasher (http://roswell.craigslist.org/hsh/1155014071.html - broken link)

There are many many other refrigerators in multiple towns.

Here's the main page for all of the cities/towns in New Mexico on Craig's List:

craigslist: new mexico classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Old 05-22-2009, 07:49 PM

27,495 posts, read 56,552,741 times
Yes it works, but rarely is it worth it...

I had an aunt that had a high end kitchen remodel... the only thing she didn't like was her 6 month old refrigerator... it didn't go with the new kitchen.

She contracted with a local auto body and paint shop and to paint it... came out great... and it's been 6 years now... she spent $280

Color changes are more problematic because you have to go over all of the original color and scratches or chips will be pronounced...

Old 05-22-2009, 09:30 PM

10,420 posts, read 46,477,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Yes it works, but rarely is it worth it...

I had an aunt that had a high end kitchen remodel... the only thing she didn't like was her 6 month old refrigerator... it didn't go with the new kitchen.

She contracted with a local auto body and paint shop and to paint it... came out great... and it's been 6 years now... she spent $280

Color changes are more problematic because you have to go over all of the original color and scratches or chips will be pronounced...
I was going to disagree with you until you said she brought it to an auto body shop. They can do the job correctly as opposed to any Joe using spray cans.....which will not work.

But by the time you spend $280 I suppose one can save that, sell the old one for $300 or so and have nearly $600 towards buying a new inexpensive model in the color one really wants.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:34 PM

Good idea about taking it to an auto body shop--for those who live near one. We're 2-3 hours from one. Guess I could cover the fridge with magnets so you can't see the color ;-) Other option would be to buy the other kitchen appliances white (this is a new kitchen).

Old 05-23-2009, 04:05 PM

43,012 posts, read 98,186,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunInHair View Post
Good idea about taking it to an auto body shop--for those who live near one. We're 2-3 hours from one. Guess I could cover the fridge with magnets so you can't see the color ;-) Other option would be to buy the other kitchen appliances white (this is a new kitchen).
I'd rather replace one refrigerator instead of multiple kitchen appliances.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:46 PM

With this new construction, a log home, I wanted almond appliances since the color theme is shades of tan. Seemed like white would stand out too much. Maybe it's better to get the DW, range/range hood in almond and just put up with white fridge which, fortunately, isn't as visable when you walk into the kitchen/dining/living area, as the other appliances.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:52 PM

939 posts, read 786,801 times
I repainted my washer/dryer, they were already white and I wanted to freshen them up. It didn't work very well. If I were to do it again I'd buy the paint that goes on with a paintbrush instead of the spray variety.

Plus the spray paint got all over my garage even with drop cloths.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post
I repainted my washer/dryer, they were already white and I wanted to freshen them up. It didn't work very well. If I were to do it again I'd buy the paint that goes on with a paintbrush instead of the spray variety.

Plus the spray paint got all over my garage even with drop cloths.
Thanks for sharing--I will NOT be trying this. Better to live with the white fridge!

Old 05-24-2009, 11:06 PM

3,020 posts, read 24,476,674 times
Default I've done it

You can do it.

Problem is many appliances use an epoxy type based paint. It is thicker than most paints used on cars and cures much harder. Suppose you could use the stuff like they paint UPS trucks, called emron.

So the first problem is getting the proper paint. You can buy it, I used like a quart to paint a fridge. Used a spray gun with compressor. Came out very nice, had that puppy for over 20 years. Ever see a fridge made by GM. They made them after WWII. I painted that sucker yellowish beige.

Not that difficult to do, assuming you have the proper equipment. Depends on how cheap you can get the paint. You do have to know how to prep the surfaces too, it is not just crank up the paint gun.

Maybe one of them Vo-Tech schools where they teach the auto body trades, they might do it for free to give the students the experience, if you supplied the paint and delivered the fridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating