Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2009, 09:13 AM

2 posts, read 25,443 times

Advertisements

hi all!
next year we're moving into our new flat, and now spending loads of time for planning the kitchen. the layout and cabinets are more or less fixed. what is missing, are the colors. the initial idea was bright yellow front and dark-brown "wooden" countertop. But there is so much light in the kitchen (see the attached sketch with the dimensions, the blue walls are fully with glass), that the bright yellow will definitely be too much.

Would you mind to act as painters and bring some colors for this layout? we would be pleased to see something in green. so called "apple green". but more probably only as a slight accent, eventually as background on the wall?.. anyway, green is not a must.

Description of the island: on the other side, there are 90cm-pullouts (60 cm deep), and a 90cm cabinet with only 30 cm depth (similar to the one we see).

Please please please, feel free to share you ideas!!
Here are the pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Color the kitchen-kitchen_dimensions.jpg   Color the kitchen-karree_blank.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 08:20 PM

21 posts, read 90,092 times
What color are your cabinets?

Have you considered doing a backsplash? The 3x6" subway tiles are really a popular look right now, and you could do those in a white, or I have seen them in grey (which I thought looked great). For as much light as you are going to have coming from the breakfast nook, you could do something a little more muted like grey, or a green like the first picture below.

I went on modwalls.com and found a few pictures.
https://www.modwalls.com/images/port...tchen_576.html

This next tile would be closer to your apple green color without being too bright.

The next picture would pull in some of the yellow and green. It looks like they used a grey color to paint the walls above the cabinets. That might look nice, and could be the color you pull throughout that space. I think dark floors would be important if you did a pattern like this to sort of ground the space.

But, without knowing if your kitchen is going to be more traditional or modern, it is hard to give too many color ideas.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:39 AM

2 posts, read 25,443 times
the kitchen will be modern.

in the first message, i did not express myself very good - by fixing the cabinets, i've meant the layout, but not their color.
we're thinking to make them in creme ("panna"), so that it is possible to change the look (if necessary) without much effort: creme is pretty neutral, and one can play with color of backsplash (we were considering it in colored glass) or of countertop.

do you think it's better to keep the entire furniture in the same color or make the island somehow different? (e.g. main line in creme, and the island in wooden look)

Old 06-01-2009, 08:21 PM

21 posts, read 90,092 times
We are designing our kitchen right now too and I just asked my husband the same question. We are most likely going to do white cabinets and the original plan was to do a white island as well, but after seeing the picture below I am wondering if a wood color would be nicer. The trouble with our floorplan is that we are planning to do a dark wood floor and it could be hard to make the wood floor and the wood island look nice together without being too "matchy matchy."
I'm not a designer so I don't know if I would be a huge help - but with a modern kitchen I think that mixing finishes would fit right in.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:14 PM

5,286 posts, read 6,226,016 times
One thing I think you will want to do is either switch the cooktop to the island or go back to a typical range (cooktop/oven in one unit). The lack of space at the sink is going to be a huge issue in terms of being a functional kitchen. It looks like you are already using a smaller fridge so you might want to go for all apartment sized appliances & sink to make room; this would be a 24 or 30 inch fridge, 24 inch stove, 18 inch dishwasher which are smaller sizes or each but open up a lot of space for a kitchen with all appliances on one wall.

Was the original plan using an undercounter fridge because I did not notice one but see it in your sketch-up version?

Another idea might be to place the refrigerator next to the door (accross from the main applaince wall.) You will have to have a larger outlet wire and forgo an icemaker but placing the firdge and possibly a small pull-out pantry there would open up a lot of space for the sink/stove area.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:10 AM

128 posts, read 1,071,183 times
How about something in this red and gray scheme. it will sooth down the extra bright light of your kitchen.
Attached Thumbnails
Color the kitchen-kitchen.jpg  

Old 06-03-2009, 03:14 PM

2 posts, read 17,539 times
You could op for two different colors. I find something like icy blue and greige work very well together. You would repaint the counters in greige, and another light color in another.

Good luck

Nicolette
http://www.furnitureanddesignideas.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating