Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 01:36 AM

256 posts, read 1,387,487 times

Advertisements

I saw someone in another thread advise getting doors that butt on the under sink cabinet. When I built my house, I don't remember the cabinet guy making any comments about whether the doors would butt or not. But once the cabinets came, I noticed that some of my two door cabinets butt and some don't. Under the sink, does not.

I have ALWAYS WONDERED what was up with that? So now I learn it is an option? And why would anyone ever want the non-butting doors if they had a choice?

Also, does anyone here have any opinion on the best after market roll out trays that are available? I do not want wire. I have seen a couple of different sites that sell the roll out wooden trays and I can't decide which manufacturer would be best. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 08:53 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,532,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decorchallenged View Post
I saw someone in another thread advise getting doors that butt on the under sink cabinet. When I built my house, I don't remember the cabinet guy making any comments about whether the doors would butt or not. But once the cabinets came, I noticed that some of my two door cabinets butt and some don't. Under the sink, does not.

I have ALWAYS WONDERED what was up with that? So now I learn it is an option? And why would anyone ever want the non-butting doors if they had a choice?

Also, does anyone here have any opinion on the best after market roll out trays that are available? I do not want wire. I have seen a couple of different sites that sell the roll out wooden trays and I can't decide which manufacturer would be best. Thanks in advance.
Not all cabinet box sizes come with no center stile. After 3 deccades in the biz I still can not tell you why. This I can tell you. In the late 90s I could not give them away. People thought butt doors with no center stile was junk and cheap looking. Finially many cabinet manufacturers did away with them. Today everyone is asking for it and we had little to offer.

Up untill last year I could only offer you butt doors on vanity boxes. Now we have several boxes to offer it in but not all. I do not believe I can offer a sink base with no center stile and if there would be anywhere I would want it....it would be there. Most Plumbers are of the larger type and they need to be able to fit under the sink. My other mortal enemy is the granite installers who lay the tops on, then cut the sink cutout, then just let that 80 pound slab crash to the floor of the sink base thereby destroying it. That's another story...

The best roll out trays are the ones that are of the same brand as your cabinet. What make is your cabinets? Many people dont know even if they just bought them last week. Look inide the drawer boxes or inside the sink base doors as most manufacturers put a lablel or a stamp in there. You can either contact that company or let me know and I can give you the exact place to go.

2nd choice is Rev-A-Shelf Rev-A-Shelf Your Worldwide Accessory Source The big box stores carry some of their products but go to their web site and get a full catalog. They have awesome things in there. 3rd choice is Original pull out sliding shelf company kitchen roll shelving custom made rollout pantry shelves that slide pull-out or the one I am more familiar with is :::::::: Welcome to Roll-out Shelf Co :::::::: in many cases you can order them mail order and DIY.

But again...find out who makes your cabinets because they sell pull out shelves to fit right in with only a phillips screwdriver needed. The holes will already be predrilled for you this way.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:43 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,466,733 times
KraftMaid has butt doors available on their 24, 27 (Standard), 30, and 36 inch wide cabinets as well as their 48 inch sink base. You can also order any double door cabinet with MSB or W (Mullion Strip Base or Wall) which has no center stile, but you have to remember which side to open or close first.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
KraftMaid has butt doors available on their 24, 27 (Standard), 30, and 36 inch wide cabinets as well as their 48 inch sink base. You can also order any double door cabinet with MSB or W (Mullion Strip Base or Wall) which has no center stile, but you have to remember which side to open or close first.
When people wanted a box with butt doors and one was not available I used to take out the center stile and use a piece of toe skin as the new stile. But I would mount it to one door and leave about a sixteenth gap to the top and bottom rail. This appeared to be double doors when you looked at it but you did have to open one door first then the other, but the main goal people want is full width access. Now I can put in full width pull out trays.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
When people wanted a box with butt doors and one was not available I used to take out the center stile and use a piece of toe skin as the new stile. But I would mount it to one door and leave about a sixteenth gap to the top and bottom rail. This appeared to be double doors when you looked at it but you did have to open one door first then the other, but the main goal people want is full width access. Now I can put in full width pull out trays.

I don't know what toeskin is, but couldn't I just remove the stile I currently have, shorten it an 1/8 of an inch, and glue it to the inside of one door? I HATE center stiles (though I didn't know what they were called till now, lol)!

Old 06-11-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
But again...find out who makes your cabinets because they sell pull out shelves to fit right in with only a phillips screwdriver needed. The holes will already be predrilled for you this way.
Would there be any point in contacting the cabinet company for cabinets that are 25-30 years old? My cabinets are made by Adelphi.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Would there be any point in contacting the cabinet company for cabinets that are 25-30 years old? My cabinets are made by Adelphi.
No. There was only maybe one cabinet company around 30 years ago, Merillat, my brand but there were no standards back then. If the cabinet is 10 years old and maybe up to 12 or 13 years old there is a good chance they might still have matching parts.

Back that many years ago is was common place for the carpenters to just build plywood boxes on site.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I don't know what toeskin is, but couldn't I just remove the stile I currently have, shorten it an 1/8 of an inch, and glue it to the inside of one door? I HATE center stiles (though I didn't know what they were called till now, lol)!
When you buy any brand of cabinet, the toe kick is unfinished. When you gang up all the base cabinets in a row you would see all the gaps down there right? Well a toe skin is just a skin the same color of your cabinets that will cover the whole length of base cabinets.

Your idea will work if you have a half depth shelf in the base. It will not work if you have pull out trays or a full depth shelf. Thats why I do it with toe skin because it is thin. If you had a planner you could thin that 3/4" thick stile to a half inch or so and it would work just as you said. Except glue wont work. You will have to use staples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating