Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 03:49 PM

532 posts, read 2,844,530 times

Advertisements

Interior decorator/designers do wonders with a home's insides, but who do you turn to to get advice on exterior? Curb appeal, exterior paint colors, etc.

I once used an interior designer who spent many years working in new home design - elevations, color schemes, some basic landscaping - but I can not track her down. Some of the designers I've contacted lately say they will not work on outsides, indicating that it is "so difficult". Is that true?

I need help deciding on exterior paint color scheme and would be willing to pay someone but I can not find anyone willing to advise me.

What's up with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 02:28 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,705,568 times
Call up some landscape architects & ask who they've worked with, often people will hired them in conjunction.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:04 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times
Personal Color Viewer®

i like this tool. We build new homes and also remodel...so it comes in handy. With this color viewer, you can play with color for the interior and exterior of the home. They have some examples, but you can upload your own photos of your room or home's exterior and then try different colors yourself.

You can also hire a landscape architect or design center as said above to come over for plantings and placements of boulders or ornaments...they can help you plan retaining walls if needed..etc.

You can also spiff up the exterior by changing or adding lighting, adding shutters if there are none or changing their style if you do... small things like building small pergolas or trellises...

on our home we took a sheet of white lattice, cut it out with an arch on top, screwed it to the house, and planted clematis to climb up it..that was 4 years ago and now it is lovely with flowers in the summer, and in the winter still looks nice.

Large Rocks/boulders and flowering trees are great assets to start with if diy...then fill in here and there with flowers & hosta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating