Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 11:06 AM

520 posts, read 3,919,356 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

Looking to redo the flooring on our house.
Our current layout... or should I say the layout when we bought this house is:

Dinning Room = HW
Living Room = Carpet
Family Room = Carpet
Kitchen = Ceramic
Entry Way/Foyer = Ceramic
Powder Room = Ceramic

We are going to pull up all the carpet and replace with hw.
What we're not sure on is do we pull up the all the ceramic and install hw or leave as is?
The ceramic is in great shape. Have to clean the grout but aside that, I don't mind the ceramic.

Has anyone here ever pulled out ceramic flooring to install hw only to regret it?

What are the pro/con's of ceramic vs hw flooring in the kitchen?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 11:47 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,204,254 times
Haven't done it yet, but will be pulling up the tile in our kitchen to install bamboo floors throughout the first floor. I cook a lot, and don't like standing for extended periods of time on tile - it's pretty hard. Dishes break pretty easily on tile. I also have a much easier time cleaning hardwood floors.

That said, hardwood floors can scratch, and you have to make sure you don't spill water on them and leave it there. However, I clean up water immedietely off my tile anyway, so this isn't an added inconvenience to me.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:22 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,641,507 times
Ceramic tile is very very out of style in the kitchen. For flooring, the "in" thing is slate, marble, stone, and the ever so popular travertine.

As a kitchen designer I dont recommend wood floors in kitchens but I did put it in mine,but I like wood more then the average Joe. Bamboo is gaining popularity very quick. But whatever you do, DO NOT put that crap fake plastic Pergo floor down. You will cheapen your home and will feel like a tap dancer as you walk on it. You might find yourself jumping up now and then to click your heels. Oh and it is very very ugly.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:44 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,148,202 times
I really think this comes down to a matter of personal taste and what the over all style of the rooms are. You can't go wrong as long as the whole room matches.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:12 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,212 times
In my last house we had beautiful ceramic tiles installed, but that follor was unforgiving on dropped items. Everything dropped was broken. I'd never do ceramic tile in a kitchen again. Wood is much more forgiving if you're prone to dropping things. JMO

Old 06-28-2009, 06:52 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
The question is, what flooring will tie all the other floorings together. Will the new wood match the old?
Straight grain wood and high gloss are great for unused "show rooms" but for everyday living, your going to want something with character.
Just remember, they are floors and not furniture. They are going to get dented and scratched(character marking)

If you live in a high humidity or really arid area of the USA, tiles are going to be your best bet.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:37 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,272,046 times
I have travertine tile in my kitchen and halls, bath and laundry. While it looks nice, I won't get it in my new home as I found it to be so uncomfortable to stand and walk on for any period of time. Also, I like to go barefoot and it is cold! I've had ceramic tile in a kitchen and it didn't feel quite so uncomfortable. I've had hardwood in other areas of my home and like the look of it and it feels much warmer and not so hard but I imagine it would be a bit more difficult to take care of in the kitchen.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:13 PM

24,445 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Well, we have had the original pick and place vinyl, linoleum and now porcelain tile in the kitchen. Definitely the best floor we have had. Nothing broke cuz we haven't dropped anything, oh stuff will break if dropped on a wood floor becuz i've done it.

The Super Chief has throw rugs on the floor in front of the stove and sink to catch the stuff she spills. No complaints about standing on it and we both have bum feet and knees. Cleans up quick and easy.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:31 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,317,342 times
I think it is what your neighborhood calls for and the climate you are in. Right now I'm in the Midwest and we have HW in the main living areas,carpeting in the bedrooms and ceramic tile in the bathrooms. This is the norm in our development.

If I was in the deep south I don't think I would do wood but all ceramic.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:54 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,738,199 times
I agree with BentBow, the deciding factor is how the flooring will transition from one room to the next and whether or not the hardwoods will all match.

I have mixed feelings on tile vs. hardwood in the kitchen. On one hand, spills and high-traffic can be bad on hardwood. On the other hand, unless the grout is dark I find grout on the kitchen floor can get stained pretty easily or can look dingy. Personally I like the look of hardwoods, but not if it's going to look piece meal from one room to the next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating