Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 05:29 PM

557 posts, read 2,610,182 times

Advertisements

Due to a design flaw, we ended up with a 6 inch space between two base cabinets in our kitchen. Can't afford a $300+ unit for tray/cookie sheet storage. Closing the space with a filler would waste valuable space. What would you recommend I do with the space?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 08:11 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
It may not be a design flaw. I end up with a 6" gap more then I want to. Yes a big fat " filler would look fugly.

I forgot what brand you were messing with. Many companys sell what they call a filler spice rack. They come in 3" and 6". The face looks like a fancy filler or even a drawer face turned upright but a big spice rack is hidden behind it. As you may know the smallest base comes 9" which is basicly only good for a cookie sheet cabinet.

If you are able to post a pic of the design I can make suggestions so you can do it right. Most people who draw kitchens are nothing but cabinet salesmen, they are not designers so they have no idea what they are doing.

If you can make the sink base or the range base next to your left over 6" then I like to pull one or both of these boxes out 3". Then you can sneak an angle 3" on each side and it not only looks intentiona but it looks awesome! The granite guys hate everyone for it though.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:43 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunInHair View Post
Due to a design flaw, we ended up with a 6 inch space between two base cabinets in our kitchen. Can't afford a $300+ unit for tray/cookie sheet storage. Closing the space with a filler would waste valuable space. What would you recommend I do with the space?
Sounds like the perfect space for a super wine rack. No one will ever know you didn't plan it from the beginning. All you need are some wood slats to create bottle sized X-shaped areas. Put great wine bottles in the open spaces.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:50 AM

557 posts, read 2,610,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Sounds like the perfect space for a super wine rack. No one will ever know you didn't plan it from the beginning. All you need are some wood slats to create bottle sized X-shaped areas. Put great wine bottles in the open spaces.
Pefect idea! Thanks much! Had not thought of that. We "lost" the original wine rack that was supposed to be in the island because the component units in the island did not fit together. The cabinet manufacturer is Karman--nice cabinets but horrible customer service. The pull out spice or other racks are not an option--they cost over $300 each with $100 delivery--just not worth it to me. Like your username, BTW, GloryB!

Old 06-28-2009, 09:28 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Good thinkin. I didn't think of that. But a 6" is not a wine rack. I do use a spice rack without the drawers. It is 6" and has 5 bottle bins in it.

Check out this pic of a kitchen menu center I built. The bins are side to side. This box is also reversable to up and down and then the installer just builds a false toe base. Some cabinet companies make this box as a base cabinet already. It is 6" wide by 30" high. Build a 4.5" toe and you have your standard kitchen measures.
Attached Thumbnails
How to use 6 inch space between two Kitchen base cabinets?-merillatspringvalleyoak.jpg  

Old 06-29-2009, 09:39 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
I like the wine rack idea.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:03 PM

2 posts, read 23,981 times
desertsun41, You are referring to the 5-cube box that you installed horizontally? How can I find one? What is it called?

Old 02-06-2016, 07:20 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekaboom View Post
desertsun41, You are referring to the 5-cube box that you installed horizontally? How can I find one? What is it called?

He hasn't posted in a few yrs-
Though he does sign-in occasionally.
You might try a DM...

Old 02-20-2016, 07:07 PM

2 posts, read 23,981 times
Thanks, K'ledgeBldr.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:29 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Exactly what I was thinking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating