Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 05:45 PM

22 posts, read 49,282 times

Advertisements

Hello there!

My boyfriend and I are renovating the previously unused garage/storage into living space. The way the building is set up is as follows: There are two large swinging garage doors that open outward, exposing two different areas separated by a wall. We plan to open up the middle wall so that the two spaces are somewhat unified into one. One side will be a bedroom/bathroom, and the other side will be a living area. I would like to put in insulation, running water, a new wall where the garage doors are, more lighting, hardwood floors, at least two more windows, plumbing, and sheetrock. There are also some holes that need to be patched on the ceiling.

We have already gone through the process of obtaining all permits necessary to remodel and build to our hearts' content. So luckily, all is good to go except for the fact that I wouldn't know how to decorate such a small space.

I have my heart set on using the Benjamin Moore color 2061-40, which looks like:

How could this color best be incorporated into such a small living space? To be clear, I would love to have this color run throughout both of the rooms, but I am open to any suggestions if that sounds too overwhelming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 09:49 PM

[Because I don't know how to reply to reputation...]

I love this color because it goes so well with white, black, and beige, and those colors are so versitile. But then again, a lighter shade of this color would probably match as well...

We want to take out the garage because we cannot afford our own home and do not want to feel locked into a contract with any apartment. His parents gave us permission to remodel the garage, and although it might devalue the house, there is also room for a covered car-port in the driveway.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:32 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
I don't see why you couldn't paint the entire space in that color...but you could also use a similar color in drapes and bedding, seat cushions, you get the idea.

I know someone who carpeted their garage and uses it like a porch. If it was nice outside, they'd even open up the garage door.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't see why you couldn't paint the entire space in that color...but you could also use a similar color in drapes and bedding, seat cushions, you get the idea.

I know someone who carpeted their garage and uses it like a porch. If it was nice outside, they'd even open up the garage door.
I wasn't sure if painting a small room one color would dwarf it. What colors do you think would match it if I were to paint the entire space with that blue?

Old 06-30-2009, 01:37 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
^ The tans and whites you were speaking of earlier would go with it--or as I was saying, you could use the blue itself as your accent color, if you didn't want to paint the walls in that color. Of course other blues that use the same proportions of tint would work with it too.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:26 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
I painted a 10'x10' room in a color very similar and it didn't dwarf the room at all because of the white ceiling, white trim, light colored carpet on the floor, and my furniture and accessories were light-colored and visually "light-weight".

Old 06-30-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I painted a 10'x10' room in a color very similar and it didn't dwarf the room at all because of the white ceiling, white trim, light colored carpet on the floor, and my furniture and accessories were light-colored and visually "light-weight".
I would like to put in bamboo flooring in a color similar to this:
http://www.teragren.com/imgs/grain-color-rollovers/sigclr_walnut.jpg (broken link)

I love the way it would look with the blue, but do you think that because it isn't light-colored that it wouldn't do much to open the space?

@TKramar: Hmm... If I were to paint one wall blue, what would you paint the other walls? What do you think would go best? A white, off white, or tan color?

Old 06-30-2009, 11:34 AM

90 posts, read 302,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose_ika View Post
Hello there!

How could this color best be incorporated into such a small living space? To be clear, I would love to have this color run throughout both of the rooms, but I am open to any suggestions if that sounds too overwhelming.
I am no expert, and just peaking from recent experience painting my rooms.

Remember that the color almost always looks darker so be careful, you may see that it is "too" blue. If in doubt, err on the side of light pastels.

also, take a look around the build and see how much natural light will enter from normal openings. It is important to find out. A shady spot is not a good place for dark colors where a more sunny spot allows more "wiggle" room with your decision-making.

Make sure to take some photos and reply here with them for us to see.

Ralph

Old 06-30-2009, 11:36 AM

90 posts, read 302,788 times
Quote:

I love the way it would look with the blue, but do you think that because it isn't light-colored that it wouldn't do much to open the space?

@TKramar: Hmm... If I were to paint one wall blue, what would you paint the other walls? What do you think would go best? A white, off white, or tan color?
I may be wrong but how does this blue go with the dark bamboo flooring?

Old 06-30-2009, 11:36 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,754 times
Quote:

Just FYI, since I am actively researching bamboo flooring - the process to make the bamboo that darker makes the flooring 20% softer. I have yet to read any good reviews on the darker, or carbonized bamboo flooring. Going with blond natural horizontal or strand, myself - strand might look good with your color as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating