Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 06:15 PM

830 posts, read 2,712,056 times

Advertisements

There are really ugly old (laminate? Formica? I don't even know what it's called) counters in my kitchen. I figured when I bought it that I'd redo them in Corian-type stuff, but thinking more about it, I'm thinking that's not really something that goes with the style of the kitchen.

I want to keep the original cabinets and really play up the cottage feel. What goes with that for a counter surface?

In pictures I've seen butcher block (seems like a lot of work to keep it in good condition if it's the whole counter surface, and I'm kind of sloppy) and tile. Is tile the way to go? Other suggestions?

It's a very small area so cost isn't the biggest factor. Mainly just... cottagey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 06:19 PM

167 posts, read 864,576 times
Soapstone would be my choice- or stained/sealed concrete to look like soapstone. You might do a small island of butcherblock, but I'm with you- it's hard to keep clean and conditioned. I've never been a big fan of tile countertops, because the grout can quickly become a nightmare. I guess if you used large tile, the grout wouldn't be as big of an issue.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:00 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,244 times
My kitchen will have a country feel to it - white, with beadboard - and I am going with soapstone countertops. If you actually cook in your kitchen, you will love soapstone - and you will HATE tile.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:00 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,346,946 times
Either soapstone, marble, or butcher block. A mixture of two of them would be fantastic.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:02 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,919,932 times
Smile Hello there

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
There are really ugly old (laminate? Formica? I don't even know what it's called) counters in my kitchen. I figured when I bought it that I'd redo them in Corian-type stuff, but thinking more about it, I'm thinking that's not really something that goes with the style of the kitchen.

I want to keep the original cabinets and really play up the cottage feel. What goes with that for a counter surface?

In pictures I've seen butcher block (seems like a lot of work to keep it in good condition if it's the whole counter surface, and I'm kind of sloppy) and tile. Is tile the way to go? Other suggestions?

It's a very small area so cost isn't the biggest factor. Mainly just... cottagey.

I would tell you to go with tile. I love the ceramic tiles that I advised my grandma to get in her kitchen. They are perfect. I know they'll work for you....gma is a longtime/professional cook and if they work for her, they will work for you

Old 07-06-2009, 11:03 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,919,932 times
Oh, try Corian or Silestone (sp.?) for the tiles.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:46 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
There are so many great choices for cottage style that I would also find it hard to pick just one! It may depend on the wall color and what type of cabinets you are going with.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:26 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
depending on what kind of cottage style you are doing, (there are so many!) I would choose marble, soapstone, or my newest love, zinc!
Zinc Countertops,Sinks,and Kitchen Hoods by Brooks Custom,NY (http://www.brookswood.com/zinc.htm - broken link)
I am in love with this kitchen! While doing research for a client, I ran across this site, we are doing this countertop in the cottage on her property.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:54 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Do a search on google images - cottage kitchens - lots of ideas.

cottage kitchens - Google Image Search

Old 07-08-2009, 06:30 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,310 times
Zodiaq makes a solid surface that looks like marble without the maintenance. It would probably look nice in a cottage style kitchen

Colors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating