Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 12:31 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,898,389 times

Advertisements

I have been reading all the flooring threads and whew! lots of info, my head is really swimming now!

Here is my dilemma:

approx. 1300 sq ft ranch. Previous owners did stained concrete on the floors and they did a horrible job, plus the color really stinks. This is in the living room, hallways, foyer area, and the master BR and bath. While I don't mind stained concrete that looks nice and is done well, I don't know what to do with this stuff. The floor is not level in all areas, I can see that. I don't know what to put in here. We do have a pool so I am thinking the kitchen and dining area should be something that water will not affect. I am not a huge fan of carpet, but I think it could be the cheapest route in the living rm and hallways and bedrooms. But, being an open flr plan, it might look dumb with the tile going into the carpet...I am seriously interior design challenged!!

The main bath has linoleum, not a fan, but it will suffice for now.

Cork?

Bamboo?

HW?

Tile, ceramic or porcelain?

Carpet?

Cement overlay?

I am on a ltd budget, which doesn't help, but I would deal with these and save up for a better option too.

Any suggestions? Thoughts? Ideas on what it would cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 12:57 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,193,933 times
Since it is an open floor plan, I would immedietely rule out tile - just imagine the echos! I haven't researched cork myself, but that might be a good option for the style of your house. Not sure on price though.

We are going with strand woven bamboo, since 1) it was the only flooring that stood up to our battery of tests, and 2) it looks like an exotic hardwood. It's also only $3.50ish per sqft. I would not recommend any other bamboo - we tested all of them, and they all dinged, scratched and gouged with even slight pressure and friction.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:04 PM

Thanks for your response! It will probably echo but I would def put down some area rugs. Although, I was sitting here thinking that tile may not be cost effective for us due to the fact that we would have to remove all the baseboards and that could be a pain...

I like some of the other suggestions on other threads on the use of linoleum type tiles. But, I also would like to keep in mind any resale value. I don't want to take away from that.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:00 PM

165 posts, read 1,281,207 times
We used click-together cork tiles in our basement. We put a vapor barrier down over the concrete slab, then floated the cork floor on top. The directions said the floor does need to be level. On one spot that was not, we put down self-leveling concrete first.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:57 PM

79 posts, read 556,483 times
Hi kimba01,

if you go with tile you need to worry about bonding issues when you do tile or any layer of anything cement.
being the concrete is stained concrete the stain acts like a bond breaker for thinset mortar.
you will need to grind of scarify it up, do a water test to make sure the slab can absorb water and then set tile with thinset.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:58 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,445,912 times
We are putting in carbonized vertical bamboo. Read many reviews on it and it is more durable than hardwood. It will still scratch, but we don't have any dogs, so I don't think it will be a big problem.

I think if I had a pool, I would definitely do tile and not bamboo or hardwood. My son just put tile through his whole house, bedrooms, kitchen, living room den etc. It's a very open floor plan with 16 foot vaulted ceiling in the main living area. We were just visiting there and I never heard any echo. Of course they don't have dogs or kids.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:41 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,193,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
We are putting in carbonized vertical bamboo. Read many reviews on it and it is more durable than hardwood. It will still scratch, but we don't have any dogs, so I don't think it will be a big problem.
Not true. Carbonized vertical is softer than oak - I tested samples of it (and a lot of other types of bamboo) two weeks ago.

Not only does it scratch/dent extremely easily (carbonization process makes it much softer than natural), but the scratches are white - and this was from a reputable bamboo flooring company. I dropped a screwdriver from shoulder height on a sample and there was a divot in the wood. The only one that stood up for a beating was the natural strand woven.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:43 AM

Thanks for all the responses! I am still so confused with all this. I have been looking at other homes in the area that have the same floor plan as I do, some have tile/pergo/hardwood in their kitchen/dining area and then moves into carpet in the living area through the hallways into the BRs. Right inside the entryway they also have the tile...and tile in both bath areas. It looks ok from the pics, but I am not sure if it will look quirky. Wondering if it will look better all one type throughout...

Where is HGTV when ya need them!!!

Thanks again!

Old 07-14-2009, 05:37 PM

79 posts, read 556,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Where is HGTV when ya need them!!!
probably not best to follow their info too much, most of it isn't the best info out there.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:59 PM

161 posts, read 566,528 times
We just finished installing the click marmoleum tiles in a checkerboard pattern in our sunroom; relatively easy and looks very cool! Plus it feels very nice underfoot, a softness that tile doesn't have...website is forbo.com and they have tons of colors.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating