Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cabinets or Cupboards
I call them kitchen cabinets 33 75.00%
I call them kitchen cupboards 11 25.00%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 10:14 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
I don't really care. According to Merriam-Webster, a cupboard is a closet for storing dishes, food, etc. I certainly would not get worked up or even "amazed" if someone called it a cupboard if I preferred it be called a cabinet. And I'm sure "Custom Cupboards" with over 170 dealers nationwide, doesn't think it makes a difference either. Custom Cupboards Home | Fine Quality Kitchen Cabinets | Bathroom Cabinets | Office Cabinets
Well no one is getting worked up over it really. Just floors me when people say they want cupboards when that is really is an antique term but still widely used.

Yes I am very familiar with the brand Custom Cupboards. We used to carry them, sold 2 kitchens in 2 years do got rid of them. Both kitchens were Brazilian Teakwood. I have those pics in my portfolio. They were too high priced for my market. They make a nice box though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 06:49 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,242,150 times
Cupboard seems to be British.
I have a book written by Terence Conran (an excellent book, btw, called "The Ultimate House Book") and he uses the word all the time, even when writing about wall storage in the living room.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:32 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:06 PM

27 posts, read 36,217 times
I couldn't take your poll because I say both. However, I only say cabinet when I put the word Kitchen in front of it and then only when talking to a designer.

I've never said kitchen cupboard, I'll say for example.......the glasses are in the cupboard beside the sink.

I've never really thought about it either so I asked a few friends and they said the same thing.

Off to have a can of pop...(not soda)..haha

Old 07-13-2009, 03:43 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Are the terms relegated to:

(1) rural/farming areas, and/or
(2) historic periods?

I live in NJ where there are plenty of rural/farming areas and pretty old houses (i.e., Revolutionary War period).

Growing up, people referred to "cupboards" as the shelves (concealed OR open) where dishes were stored. A cabinet was a free-standing piece of furniture. Maybe the terms have changed for modern purposes. But I like the way "cupboards" sound; very Old World.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:50 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post

(2) historic periods?

I live in NJ where there are plenty of rural/farming areas and pretty old houses (i.e., Revolutionary War period).

Growing up, people referred to "cupboards" as the shelves (concealed OR open) where dishes were stored. A cabinet was a free-standing piece of furniture. Maybe the terms have changed for modern purposes. But I like the way "cupboards" sound; very Old World.

That's what I've always thought of as a cabinet... a freestanding storage device. In the kitchen, they've always been cupboards to me!

Old 07-13-2009, 05:02 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post

(2) historic periods?

I grew up in NJ and never ever heard the word cupbards till I moved to Canada. I also hear cupboards down the west coast too.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:33 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,115,048 times
I hear both, and have said both...but mostly I say cabinets.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:37 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I grew up in NJ and never ever heard the word cupbards till I moved to Canada. I also hear cupboards down the west coast too.
I grew up in a small lumber mill town in NJ, surrounded by alot of farms, woods, and old homes. But my dad was career military and we lived in various parts of the USA. I begin to wonder if using the word "cupboard" in our house arose from another part of the country, including rural Georgia, northern California, or Oklahoma!

Old 07-14-2009, 05:44 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
I've used both terms.....cupboard for those hanging on the wall, cabinet for those resting on the toe kicks on the floor.

Or maybe they're cabinets when you're replacing them or ordering new ones, cupboards once they're in your kitchen.

I have so many of these terms that I don't quite get either.

Range vs stove
Sofa vs couch
Casket vs coffin

and as Sushifreak stated
Soda vs pop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating