U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2009, 01:25 PM

20 posts, read 40,733 times

Advertisements

First time post.

First I need to remove the (thank goodness) one layer of nasty wallpaper. Then I plan to repair any imperfections, then paint. I need help choosing a paint color. I'm thinking "lemon grass" a light yellow. The window add great natural light, but the cabinets are so dark (and in great shape) I want something to complement them, because I am not painting over them. The floor is a light wood color, maybe some sort of fake wood.

I hate any type of blue. I'm having a hard time finding pictures online of dark cabinets and updated kitchens. Ironic? Ya think!
Attached Thumbnails
Need help with choosing paint color PICS INSIDE-house-093.jpg   Need help with choosing paint color PICS INSIDE-house-091.jpg   Need help with choosing paint color PICS INSIDE-house-092.jpg  
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 04:00 PM

424 posts, read 1,060,462 times
I think light yellow would be perfect. But I'd buy a small sample, first, and test it in a lower corner where the floor and cabinets both meet the wall to determine if their proximity make your shade of yellow seem green or orange.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:45 PM

40,289 posts, read 49,814,219 times
I think a yellow would work well in there. Lord knows, you sure need some color It is a toughy. Since the cupboards are so dark, I think any hot colors would close it in too much. I think you want to go pretty light and airy in there. Just please don't do any beige/tan..that would be too depressing.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:40 AM

6,262 posts, read 17,873,798 times
I too hate blue anywhere in a house!!

I think a yellow or a sage green would look nice.
Those cabinets are toooooo dark though. Are you sure you can't tackle the job of lightening those? Would make a world of difference.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:24 PM

3,131 posts, read 10,790,636 times
I wasn't sure what the countertop color was..just beige? I would go with a light golden color, not too yellowy. I would even check into the possibility of painting the cabinets, or the refacing thing. I don't really know much about it, however.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:08 PM

3,315 posts, read 9,168,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
I think a yellow or a sage green would look nice.
I like the ideas of lighter yellows and greens (like a celadon) too.
Is your "lemon grass" like a wheat color? An earth-tone would be too much brown.

I actually like the wood cabinets--I thought they would be darker (like an espresso) the way you described them. I would not paint over them; just play around with different hardware and see how things work together. Good luck on your project!

Old 07-13-2009, 04:21 PM

3,774 posts, read 6,249,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacakey View Post
First time post.

First I need to remove the (thank goodness) one layer of nasty wallpaper. Then I plan to repair any imperfections, then paint. I need help choosing a paint color. I'm thinking "lemon grass" a light yellow. The window add great natural light, but the cabinets are so dark (and in great shape) I want something to complement them, because I am not painting over them. The floor is a light wood color, maybe some sort of fake wood.

I hate any type of blue. I'm having a hard time finding pictures online of dark cabinets and updated kitchens. Ironic? Ya think!
I'd be pretty concerned with the spirits in photo 2 and the two orb's in photo 3...

Old 07-15-2009, 07:43 PM

31 posts, read 344,732 times
You have warm tones in that kitchen, so I would not put a bright yellow on the walls, it would look like a Dora the Explorer kitchen. I would go with a warmer tone of yellow. But to modernize and update the look I would go with a sage green--it is warm, happy and compliments your wood tones.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:32 PM

596 posts, read 2,651,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy4lyf View Post
i'd be pretty concerned with the spirits in photo 2 and the two orb's in photo 3...
lol!

Old 07-22-2009, 01:16 PM

5 posts, read 19,149 times
This has a few tricky issues when it comes to color, especially how the lighting and rhythm will work. I might suggest using Ava Living | Designer Room Reviews to help you for free. They have tons of experience. You're pics are very helpful Best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating