Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 5,207 times

Advertisements

I had granite counter tops installed and the area where the sink is on a island top slab of granite. The contractor installing did not level it, sealed it and when i saw the completed job i noticed its at a slant, the difference is about the thickness of a nickel but you can see the slant from the side. How can this be repaired?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 11:33 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,543,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANI REIS View Post
I had granite counter tops installed and the area where the sink is on a island top slab of granite. The contractor installing did not level it, sealed it and when i saw the completed job i noticed its at a slant, the difference is about the thickness of a nickel but you can see the slant from the side. How can this be repaired?
Call the contractor back to deal with it.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:40 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Give your contractor a call, and get his butt back in their to fix it right. If he refuses, stop payment on what you have paid him. I have had granite installed many times in my home, that has never happended, that was the installers, who ever installed your granite, not necessarily your contractor. They are the ones who can fix this, i would not attemtp that on your own.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:38 PM

45 posts, read 249,450 times
My husband who knows everything and thinks he's the strongest man on the planet would probably go in there and try to curl his fingers under the countertop and just YANK it outta there. I've seen him do it. Single slabs only...then he wonders why his back feels lowsy for weeks to come. Several helpers is effective and can work too. Breaking the bond with the wall might mean utility knife on the caulking. The answer to this question seems testosterone driven.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 4,638 times
I am building a new house. I am planning to take my cabinets and granite. The new kitchen will be measured to the measurement of the existing kitchen. I was planning to separate the granite from the wall, get three dollies, find some help and lift the counter top and cabinets onto the dolly. Does anyone think this will work?

Old 08-30-2011, 08:08 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy cajiga View Post
I am building a new house. I am planning to take my cabinets and granite. The new kitchen will be measured to the measurement of the existing kitchen. I was planning to separate the granite from the wall, get three dollies, find some help and lift the counter top and cabinets onto the dolly. Does anyone think this will work?
Not if it has seams. The seam cement is stronger then the granite and the granite is at great risk of breaking, especially at the sink opening.

The proper way is to tear out the old cabs from under the tops without disturbing it. Take out one or two cabs at a time put the new under it. Of course this method is far more involved then my one sentence but it's the best way. One good reason it's best is it's my invention which I have published in trade journals.

Dunno what to tell you except your idea is risky.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:13 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy cajiga View Post

LOL Good luck because you can build your new kitchen the same as your old one but it will never be exactly the same and you counter top will never be a perfect fit, same for your cabinet fillers.

busta

Old 08-30-2011, 08:21 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longestriverinegypt View Post
"So if you walked into a clothing store and found a color shirt you like do you just buy it or do you first check to see what size it is to make sure it fits you?"

"That's not what you want to hear and you are going to try anyway but I warned you."

"I say it wont work but go ahead. I promise you it will be laughable if you pull it off. But one persons treasure is another persons junk meaning you may love it because you did it with your own sweat and blood while others will notice the haphazzardly thrown together mess."

Nice sales pitch. With an attitude like Desertsun41's I wouldn't hire him to pick up after my dog. Wait, on second thought yes, yes I would. But that's it. Fact is that sometimes its just the right thing to answer the question if you know the answer and shut up if you don't or don't want to share it. I took apart my entire kitchen, removed the granite countertops a piece at a time with putty knives and crowbar when needed. There was no damage to them, they all came apart from the silicone easily. The only difficulty was the epoxy mated seams, those needed to stay together to avoid damage. As far as selling them look to your neighbors, I had three neighbors all with the same kitchen configuration be interested in purchasing them. I chose the neighbor who was willing to led a hand in their removal and I helped them install them in their kitchen. Contractors like Desertsun41 are just trying to scare people because that's how they make their living. I understand needing to make a living, but can't respect straight out rudeness. I got rid of my auto mechanic and started doing the work myself for the same reason >:-P
Educate yourself before you look like a fool. The OP is trying to make a galley kitchen fit into an L shaped kitchen. Won't work.

busta

Old 08-30-2011, 09:20 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
Educate yourself before you look like a fool. The OP is trying to make a galley kitchen fit into an L shaped kitchen. Won't work.

busta
Before you call some one a fool you should consider you are talking about an OP who posted this back when Andrew Jackson was president. Since the OP posted, his home has been foreclosed and sold at Sheriffs sale. Just like 30% of all the other homes in America.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:38 AM

3 posts, read 10,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Tell me why you want to remove and save them because I have a different answer for you.
Dear desert Sun:
I too have the same question - in a way - but mine is, I want to replace cabinets in my kitchen and reuse the same St. Ceclila granite. Same height, same config, no sink sizes 38 x 72" with only 26" of that attached and the other is 25 x 34 with back slpash. I have been told by a fabricator that it is possible but that as it is veined, that it may crack. Well, yes but should I take the chance? I am on a budget - of course!

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating